usnmars

But they are all friendly and peaceful

No I am not talking about Ferguson Missouri fellas but I just got some bad news from home last night.  I am offshore right now but I got a phone call from my dad last night saying that a bear broke into my neighbor's barn and killed his pony and most of his chickens.  The guy heard all the noise in the barn around 1am and went to investigate just to come pretty much face to face with it when he entered the barn.  Fish and Wildlife has been called several times prior, as the ones around the neighborhood have absolutely no fear of people.  God I cant wait for the friggin bunny huggers to start protesting the bear hunts again, friggin idots........ Be safe out there, and be aware of your surroundings everyone.  This could have ended a lot worse than it already is. 

When humans push wildlife to the edge of the natural habitat and destroy most of what they had then they push back a little, Im sorry to say it is what it is. Ive had dozens of ducks killed over the years by fox and yotes. It sucks but its nature.

I especially enjoy trecking out to my treestand (about 40 yards into the woods in a neighborhood surrounded McMansions in the middle of Randolph) with only a bow, and hearing the grunting and jaw popping. wonderful sound in the dark at 4:30am. F#*k the bears, they need better management practices period. Preferably an early archery season or a few early November muzzleloader days.

I especially enjoy trecking out to my treestand (about 40 yards into the woods in the middle of a neighborhood of McMansions in the middle of Randolph) with only a bow, and hearing the grunting and jaw popping. wonderful sound in the dark at 4:30am.

You must have some really wild neighbors who party hard. :)

USN - I'm just relieved your neighbor survived. I feel bad about the horse and chickens, but it could have been a lot worse. 

There have been black bear in my Townhouse development. I'm always careful when I take the trash out at night.

Bro, it is also his hunting spot. He doesn't get to chose or hit up Stop-and-Shop :)

No he is there to destroy a corn field, and hit up my deer bait. Nothing else there for him to be naturally drawn to. I stopped baiting with anything they like to eat. BTW ive been hunting that spot long before that bear was on this earth, makes it my spot. The bear is trespassing, guess he cant read my posted signs.

No he is there to destroy a corn field, and hit up my deer bait. Nothing else there for him to be naturally drawn to. I stopped baiting with anything they like to eat. BTW ive been hunting that spot long before that bear was on this earth, makes it my spot. The bear is trespassing, guess he cant read my posted signs.

Thats some funny shit.

In this case is the owner justified in shooting the bear or would that be considered poaching?

If I was more than 450' from houses, I would bring the muzzle loader during the 6 day bear season. Its just way too close to the neighborhood to use anything other than a bow in there legally. So the bear gets to live on a technicality lol...

Yes in NJ you are allowed to kill any animal that is actively attacking any domestic animal that you own. If the attacking animal wild or domestic stops attacking for any reason you are not allowed to kill the animal anymore

When humans push wildlife to the edge of the natural habitat and destroy most of what they had then they push back a little, Im sorry to say it is what it is. Ive had dozens of ducks killed over the years by fox and yotes. It sucks but its nature.

That's not nature, that's Round 1. Most people don't tolerate that or throw their hands up in the air and say "oh well."

I don't agree with the argument that it is just man taking away their habitat.  I have lived in my development for over 25 years, and there has been no significant new construction in this area in many years - yet in the last few years we have had huge increases in the number of bears and other unusual animals for the area.  They are coming here from somewhere else or just no longer have any natural predators and need man to help thin their numbers.  The deer around here no longer run when they see a person, dog or car.  Just last night we had some animals in the woods behind us make barking howling sounds as they were fighting for around 10 minutes at two in the morning - and no they were something other than dogs. 

Yes it is. It's also nature to settle that argument definitively. 

I don't agree with the argument that it is just man taking away their habitat.  I have lived in my development for over 25 years, and there has been no significant new construction in this area in many years - yet in the last few years we have had huge increases in the number of bears and other unusual animals for the area.  They are coming here from somewhere else or just no longer have any natural predators and need man to help thin their numbers.  The deer around here no longer run when they see a person, dog or car.  Just last night we had some animals in the woods behind us make barking howling sounds as they were fighting for around 10 minutes at two in the morning - and no they were something other than dogs. 

Bears in NJ were hunted to near extinction, and you would have to be delirious to think that NJ has nearly the available habitats today it had some 300 years ago. So yes, definitely a factor of the 2. AND bears will most likely adapt to live in smaller areas when available food is present. They are now protected and as such the numbers have slowly increased since the 70's. We have only been truly tracking their population since the 80's.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/bearfacts_history.htm