jackandjill

Front Brake Pads - Resurface Rotor and replace pads - costs ?

Do a cabin filter on a 2008 Mazda 3 and let me know how long it takes you. I did it once and will gladly pay someone to do it for $145.00 the next time. Not all cars are the same.

You're right, not all cars are the same. I wasn't making that comparison.

Volkswagen charges about $100 to change a cabin filter on my car, and I can do it for $12-13 and literally 3 mins of my time.

Hell, I think Volkswagen charges $100 just to walk in the service center. Lol

Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement folks. Went DYI route and put in new rotors and brake pads on the front.

First tire took about 4 hours :-). Mostly figuring out tools to compress piston back and getting the damn rotor screws out.

Second tire took about 45 min end to end.

Bought two decent torque wrenches with the money saved.

Its absolute fun, thx again.

Tekton - on Amazon, read good reviews and it wasn't expensive.. 40 bucks each.

Set it to 80-90 ft lb for lug nuts.. clicks nice.

Good job, don't forget to set your torque wrench back to zero.

Yep, reset to zero. When I bought the house, I got lot of old tools ( and garbage) from the previous owner RIP.

But figuring out what's good for what is PIA.

I have to throw som of the old stuff and buy decent set (ratchets, sockets etc) that good for DYI cars and motorcycles.

Before you throw anything out, please post photos or at least pm someone.  Sometimes there are strange and hard to find tools squirreled away in "old stuff" and it may look like junk, or may only have one specific use.

I have old Craftsman tools, from when they were made in USA (I'm an old bastard though).

For the home mechanic doing occasional auto repair/maintenance, I don't think you need Snap-On, or Mac, anything like that.

Husky will do nicely.

Maybe you can find an old USA made set of Craftsman mechanics tools at a yard sale or on Craigslist.

YEAH!!!!   We suck......  HOW DARE US TRY AND MAKE A LIVING......

LOL.....

Seriously.... if you can get someone to help you, its not a bad job....  

not ALL of you GTO, but i hear lots of horror stories lately. Ive been going to the same guy for years, trust him always.

Do a cabin filter on a 2008 Mazda 3 and let me know how long it takes you. I did it once and will gladly pay someone to do it for $145.00 the next time. Not all cars are the same.

My wife owned a Millenia S for quite some time.  It was a good car, but nobody had any experience with the rotary super-charged engine, so off to the dealer it went for service, at dealer prices.  An they didn't even have good coffee in the lounge!

My wife owned a Millenia S for quite some time.  It was a good car, but nobody had any experience with the rotary super-charged engine, so off to the dealer it went for service, at dealer prices.  An they didn't even have good coffee in the lounge!

Not a Rotary.... it was a V6 ....

not ALL of you GTO, but i hear lots of horror stories lately. Ive been going to the same guy for years, trust him always.

there's always gonna be those horror stories. especially from the likes of pep boys, meineky, midas, sears......almost any of the chains.