ogfarmer

High quality / low cost AR upgrades,

Finally decided change up some stuff on my Windham AR from the factory parts. On a very fixed budget.

looking for high quality / low cost stuff. Can't afford a geissele trigger yet, so,lets skip that one for now.

So far I have added quality optics Aimpoint Pro and 3x magnifier.

Changed hand guard to a Diamondhead VRS

had already added Troy Battle Flip Up BUIS

Pics are helpful

ALG trigger, BAD lever, a good sling and the mounts for it, a better grip of your choice if the factory one doesn't work for you, an enlarged trigger guard (the cheap magpul one works well), weapon light.

On the weapon light thing, you can give lots of money to Surefire or go cheaper while maintaining pretty high quality, a VTAC light mount holding a Fenix TK09 would be less then $100 and put 450 lumens on things.

I think you need to define on a budget first and what role the rifle will be playing. The ALG trigger is a great choice at a low price. If you're not planning on it being a defensive rifle, I'd invest more money in quality mags and ammo over other miscellaneous parts. An enlarged trigger guard would be nice if you plan on shooting with gloves.

I'm a fan of the BCM Gunfighter charging handles. I consider them a mandatory upgrade to an AR.

My preference is for the medium latch.

Not expensive, about $50.

excactly what came in the mail for me yesterday thanx to a xmas gift card at midway :) An ACT trigger on sale, Nikon P223 on top and my cheapo Sport is good enough for me.

I already upgraded my sling mounts and sling and happy with it for now. In future I may go to a Ares Armour Huskey MK II EWS.

I really like the Phase 5 winter trigger guard, don't like the magpul ones,

Also like the High Velocity Arms - ASTG Gen II Trigger Guard - Black but it's $90 cant justify that money on a trigger guard.

Been looking at the new Umbrella Corp Raptor but kinda expensive at $90,  Also considered BCM mod4

10900220_632339176893135_726887074834983

Not into the vfg thing,

I really would like to see some grips you guys got,

I know, but for some reason I have a mental hangup buying anything magpul besides their mags.

Yes it's weird! 

I don't like quad rails with all the tact stuff hanging off it. I don't have designated purpose for the rifle. Just bored and wanna change some stuff on it. We all have a mental picture of what we want our rifle to look like. Im just trying to get ideas on other stuff but the run of mill stuff.

I'm a function guy. I won't add anything to any of my firearms that don't address a specific need, perform a desired function, or solve a problem.

Gunfighter charging handle, for instance. I have broken a stock mil spec charging handle once before. The BCM is considerably stronger, and I like the larger latch with an optic equipped rifle.

BCM grip is a comfort issue for me, I find that the steeper angle is more comfortable on my wrist when I'm carrying the rifle all day.

Some guys like the 'Barbie Doll for men' aspect of the AR rifle, in the respect they like to add and change accessories at will. No problem with that, your rifle, your $$.

Changing thing for me, at least, has to have a purpose, other than just for the hell of it.

why a new lower?

The main ar upper parts are barrel, comp, charging handle and muzzle device. Optics and backup sights. Rail. You seem all set on all of that except your charging handle

The lower is essentially a grip. Trigger. Stock. Safety selector. Trigger guard. Etc.

Other accessories are generally a sling and mounts and flashlights. Since you didn't start a specific thread I assume none of those are 100% needed so why not to complete a new rifle.

Basically I was trying to get a idea of different grips, selectors, enhanced take down pins, bolt releases, CH, other stuff you guys put on. I was avoiding 10 different threads for each.

I don't want to build another rifle

My preferences are formed from a tactical shooting background.

Stocks:

I like the B5 SOPMOD and Bravo stocks a lot. Magpul MOE is nice and light and great for pinning.

I also dig the Sully Stock. Got one from a member here and it is nice. It is currently on the rifle I shoot the most.

Grips:

I prefer the BCM and Magpul K grips. The reduced angle makes a big difference for the kind of shooting I do.

VFG:

I like a VFG. I don't grab it with my whole hand, I use or more like a Handstop. I like the Tangodown Stubby and the BCM short vert grip. It sets my hand where I want it to run my lights, and is a great reference point for consistency as well as giving me something to pull agains which helps to control the muzzle under rapid fire.

I just recently tried a LaRue Handstop on a slim handguard (Troy Alpha) instead of a VFG. I reeeeaaaallly like it.

Parts:

Geissele triggers are the way to go - especially the SSA - but expensive. The ALG ACT is decent alternative at 1/3 the price - but it is not as nice as the SSA.

As stated earlier the BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle Mod 4(medium) is mandatory on all my rifles. The large is nice for manipulations but get hung up or pokes me in the chest when sling. The small is nice but I prefer little more "meat" on the latch for the way I manipulate the handle (edge of my support hand).

I have really been digging the B.A.D ASS selector with the short selector on the right side. Very smooth and I like manipulating the safety with my trigger finger.

I also like B.A.D.'s takedown pins. I was having an issue with a standard pin from a LPK I had (DPMS) so I replaced it with the BAD pin. Very nice kit.

I had a lower (Stag) that had a slightly oversized mag catch cutout. It kept sticking the catch because there was room for it to tilt when pressed. I got an Odinworks mag catch to see if that helped. It's nice and it solved the issue. Don't know info would buy more for other rifles but I don't dislike it.

I like the Magpul BAD. It is fast on reloads, makes locking the bolt back easy and intuitive and helps when doing malfunction clearing. I have one on all my rifles.

Rear sling mounts:

The Magpul ASAP and Tangodown PR4 are my preferences. I have had good success with the MI and Troy versions of the PR4 as well (they are also much cheaper)

Front sling mount:

I like the sling pretty close to the receiver. I'm not too picky and use whatever works for the sling attachment and handguard type.

Optics:

Aimpoint.

Lights:

I like my lights mounted at 11:00 on the handguard. Lights need to be single brightness/single function and with a constant on mode. I prefer "clicky" style switches.

I mostly have Surefire lights and I prefer 500L or more (I like 1000L but the P3X is expensive). 200L is the bare minimum for my needs.

I recently got a WMLX and I am liking it a lot.

As for light mounts te VTAC is a great low cost mount. I also have 2 IWC mounts that direct attach to the Troy handguards. Nice but expensive for a job the VTAC could do just fine.