magnawing

Flying out of Newark with a firearm

believe ammo is required to be in factory boxs seperate from gun

Go to the TSA website. It is required to be contained. Loaded in mags with the gun is legal as long as the mags have mag covers. Factory boxes also OK. At least one airline has its own rule that they don't want it in the gun case, but most don't and TSA doesn't, either. Loose ammo is never OK, even in the gun case.

Here Comrades are what seem to be applicable exceptions from 2C:39-6(e) and (f).

If you comply with subsection (g)  (unloaded etc., see below), it looks like you might be able to transport through Newark Liberty:

1) While moving from your residence in New Jersey to a free place like Texas.

2) While going from your residence in New Jersey to an out of state gun range and back.

It would, however, appear to be problem to go from home and through Newark Liberty if you are going out of state for a bit and want to carry while in a state that honors the Second Amendment.

e.     Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.

f.     Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent:

(1)     A member of any rifle or pistol club organized in accordance with the rules prescribed by the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice, in going to or from a place of target practice, carrying such firearms as are necessary for said target practice, provided that the club has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent and annually submits a list of its members to the superintendent and provided further that the firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;

(2)     A person carrying a firearm or knife in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this State for the purpose of hunting, target practice or fishing, provided that the firearm or knife is legal and appropriate for hunting or fishing purposes in this State and he has in his possession a valid hunting license, or, with respect to fresh water fishing, a valid fishing license;

(3)     A person transporting any firearm or knife while traveling:

(a)     Directly to or from any place for the purpose of hunting or fishing, provided the person has in his possession a valid hunting or fishing license; or

(b)     Directly to or from any target range, or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions, provided in all cases that during the course of the travel all firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section and the person has complied with all the provisions and requirements of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes and any amendments thereto and all rules and regulations promulgated thereunder; or

Subsection (g) is here:

g.     All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

If you do not comply:

Go directly to jail
Do not pass Go
Do not collect $200

Here Comrades are what seem to be applicable exceptions from 2C:39-6(e) and (f).

If you comply with subsection g  (unloaded, etc.), it looks like you might be able to transport through Newark Liberty"

While moving from residence in New Jersey to a free place like Texas

While going from residence in New Jersey to an out of state range and back.

It would, however, appear to be problem to go from home and through Newark Liberty because you are going out of state for a bit and want to carry while in a state that honors the Second Amendment.

Go directly to jail

Do not pass Go

Do not collect $200

Ok.... Ok.... we get your opinion.....   but stop with it...

over 23 million domestic flight passengers went through Newark ......  I am safe in saying....  100's of checked firearms pass through that airport everyday ...... with ZERO issues ......  so really, your fear mongering is unbased... 

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf-traffic/MAY2014_EWR.pdf

Has anybody checked this guy's IP? I'm starting to wonder if I have split personality syndrome. He's probably my Joe Pesci alter ego ;)

I think I'm going to get a drug test tomorrow, too, just to make sure :)

There is fear mongering, and there is the law. If you take a handgun to Newark Airport to go visit another state without meeting an NJ exception you are breaking the law and subject to 5 (minimum) to 10 years in jail. There is no dispute or question about that, zero.

A lot of people have broken that law. Heck, I seem to rememebr breaking a lot of firearms laws as a kid in NJ, and was caught by cops several times, and never charged. Normalization of Deviance worked well for NASA for many years as well, until those pesky O-rings from Thiokol cropped up. They coined the phrase.

My last post on this subject.

I looked up the statutes when I wanted to know if New Jersey allowed one of its residents flying out of Newark Liberty to take a handgun for protection on a camping trip in brown bear country in a state that allows handgun carry.

The answer, unfortunately, is that you have to rely on FOPA to drive to the Philadelphia airport or risk getting eaten by Mr. Bear.

If there was even a slight glimmer of NJ being able to throw gun owners in jail for flying out of Newark with guns, then there would be people thrown in jail every day.

I hate to think this way but if the state had a teeny leg to stand on we would know it.  And since they merrily let people do it, it must be legal lol

I think it comes down to that if the OP feels uncomfortable with the idea of checking a firearm in his luggage at the airport, he should not do it.

But as glennp and others have noted, many of us do it all the time, and as far as we know, no one has ever had a problem.

There is no possession destination exemption for "Florida" in NJ statutes.

The gun range I happen to be traveling to, is in Florida. That's the story every time I fly out of Newark. Although I've never been asked yet. I always bring a pamphlet from a Florida range with me in case this question comes up, to back up my story.

not that much extra time. go to an inside counter not skycap. tell them you are checking an unloaded firearm. they will have an orange tag that you will place over the firearm case in the luggage. a super secret airline agent from mordor will walk you to a section of double doors where you will wait for him to return and say you are good to go. took an extra 10 to 15 for me

not that much extra time. go to an inside counter not skycap. tell them you are checking an unloaded firearm. they will have an orange tag that you will place over the firearm case in the luggage. a super secret airline agent from mordor will walk you to a section of double doors where you will wait for him to return and say you are good to go. took an extra 10 to 15 for me

Yes, that was almost exactly my experience as well.  Probably only takes an extra 10-15 minutes, as you said, but probably good to allow a little more 

time than that, just in case.  

Looks like I'll have to take the 5:58AM train then... Gets me to the airport at 6:10... figure another 15 minutes to get to the terminal on the airtrain... check in... yep... Should be good for the 8AM flight.

Thanks for the info.

I'd say your right on the money with that time

Also recommend tsa pre check, so worth it if you travel multiple times per year. You can wake up later for early morning flights because it cuts down on security wait. No shoes off no laptops out....minimum rubber glove grope factor

My parents have the global one - it's worth it because they travel a lot.

And they love rental cars. Travelers are less likely to be armed, may even be foreigners, and are less likely to report to police or to fully cooperate due to the hassle and cost of returning at a later date or potential need for a local attorney.

Florida went Shall Issue in the 80s and five years later criminals were robbing and blasting foreigners like there was no bag limit.

Actually the comment about Florida is incorrect.  The murder rate as well as the robbing incidents were above national average, after Florida went to Shall Issue for CCW the murder rate dropped significantly as well as the robbing and blasting of foreigners stopped.  Florida issues a huge number of CCW permits now and I have not heard of people in rental cars getting targeted in years.

Actually if one were to go strictly by this:

(b)     Directly to or from any target range, or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions, provided in all cases that during the course of the travel all firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section and the person has complied with all the provisions and requirements of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes and any amendments thereto and all rules and regulations promulgated thereunder; or

You would have an issue - does anyone actually fly down to say Florida directly a range there and then come back?  Does anyone go directly to a competition and then leave immediately to come home?  I doubt it.  So I think there is an element of being reasonable that is in there.