Catch22LR

2006 Grand Marquis GS remote keyless entry

Dear mechanics (shade tree or otherwise),

The 2006 grand marquis gs I just bought didn't come with a keyless entry remote and I'm having trouble programming one.

I read somewhere that not all 2006 grand marquis' had this feature. How can I tell if mine is one of those?

I followed the instructions in the manual but nothing happened. The manual said I should turn the key 8 times fast and the locks would open and close, then I should press a button on the remote I want to add.

If my car doesn't have this feature, is there any way to retrofit it?

1. The vehicle must be electronically unlocked before entering program mode using the RKE transmitter, RKE keypad (if equipped) or door lock control switch while the driver door is open.

2. Turn the key from OFF to RUN 8 times within 10 seconds, with the eighth turn ending in RUN. If the module has successfully entered program mode, it locks and then unlocks all doors.

3. Within 20 seconds, press any button on an RKE transmitter, and the doors lock and then unlock to confirm that each RKE transmitter is programmed. Repeat this step for each RKE transmitter.

4. If the door locks do not respond for any RKE transmitter, wait several seconds and press the button again.

5. Exiting the programming mode is accomplished if one of the following occurs:
The key transitions to the OFF position.
20 seconds have passed since entering programming mode or since the last RKE transmitter was programmed.
The maximum number of RKE transmitters have been programmed.

Thanks for the reply,

I just tried those instructions but wasnt able to add the remote. The car never locked and unlocked the doors. I tried a few other instruction sets too, one involving opening the driver window before starting but the same thing happened.

Could it be that this car doesn't have that feature? It has a key lock on both the driver and passenger doors, whereas most of the grand Marquis' I've seen only had driver side key locks.

Thanks for the reply,

I just tried those instructions but wasnt able to add the remote. The car never locked and unlocked the doors. I tried a few other instruction sets too, one involving opening the driver window before starting but the same thing happened.

Could it be that this car doesn't have that feature? It has a key lock on both the driver and passenger doors, whereas most of the grand Marquis' I've seen only had driver side key locks.

it is possible that it doesn't have the feature.

does it have a keyless entry keypad on the drivers front door?

hhmm...yours may not have it........it's rare to find a car like this without the keyless entry feature though.

you're trying to program the remote that's not part of the key, but the old school square ford 4 or 5 button remote, right?

I owned a few Grand Marquis in my day and have been down this road before.

The process you refer to is only to program a 2nd, 3rd, etc keyless remote.

You must have one that works before you can self program others.

Only an authorized dealer can program the first one, you can then use that one in conjunction with the

method you described to program others.

AFAIK They all have keyless entry, you just need the initial one in order to program others!

Call your local Ford, Lincoln, Mercury dealer for pricing to program the initial remote then you are on you way!

hmm...that's odd. i did mom's 2007 taurus without the original. 'cause she lost it. i got into the car, closed the door, then locked and unlocked it by the power lock button....then did the procedure i sent above. i've programmed 3 for her, as i keep one now, she leaves one at my house, and she keeps one on her person.

hmm...that's odd. i did mom's 2007 taurus without the original. 'cause she lost it. i got into the car, closed the door, then locked and unlocked it by the power lock button....then did the procedure i sent above. i've programmed 3 for her, as i keep one now, she leaves one at my house, and she keeps one on her person.

I am 99.9% certain on this one. Your case proves that she lost the original in the car, and it was in fact there when you programmed the others. You MUST have one programmed in order to use the procedure to self program others.

I am 99.9% certain on this one. Your case proves that she lost the original in the car, and it was in fact there when you programmed the others. You MUST have one programmed in order to use the procedure to self program others.

you know what? i'm gonna send her after you now. 'cause when she gets up here in the end of march, ima gonna tear her car apart looking for that dam thing, lololololol

Here are the instructions. I remember the dealer telling me I had to have one working remote for this to work. It's hard to not by accident touch the brake pedal so I would try the procedure to the letter first!

FORD REMOTE – THIS PROCEDURE RESETS ALL REMOTES FOR THE VEHICLE.  ALL FUNCTIONING REMOTES WILL HAVE TO BE REPROGRAMMED DURING THE PROCEDURE

There are a few different procedures that will program your remotes depending on what vehicle that you have. You can find your exact procedure in your owners manual. If you do not have your owners manual you can try any of the procedures below until you find the one that works for your vehicles

Make sure that you don’t press the brake pedal at any time during or before the procedure.

Procedure A:

1.Close all doors, then open drivers door and press the Unlock button on driver’s door while it is open, insert key into ignition.
2.Turn ignition from OFF to RUN 8 times within 8 seconds, with the 8th time ending in RUN. Door locks will cycle to confirm programming mode. (if the door locks do not cycle, then it  was done incorrectly. You must start over by removing key and beginning  from step 1)

(Off is the position where you can remove your key, RUN is the position just shy of starting your car.)

3.Within 10 seconds press any button on the first keyless remote to be programmed. Door locks will cycle to confirm programming. If you only have one remote then skip to step 5.
4.Within 10 seconds, press any button on the second keyless remote. Door locks will cycle again to confirm programming. Repeat step 4. for all other remotes.
5.Turn ignition to OFF. Locks will again cycle to indicate end of programming mode.

Procedure B:
1. Turn the ignition from OFF to RUN 4 times within 3 seconds.
2. Turn the ignition OFF. The system will chime to confirm programming mode.
3. Within 10 seconds, press any button on first keyless remote. The system will chime once to confirm programming.
4. Within 10 seconds, press any button on second keyless remote. System will chime once to confirm programming.
5. Turn ignition to RUN to exit programming mode.

Please note: All steps should be performed in fairly rapid succession. If you never get the initial chime or door lock cycle, that means the vehicle has never entered programming mode. You should remove key from ignition, open and close the door and start over.

I loved my Grand Marquis. It was like driving your living room sofa and never liked smaller cars.  Unfortunately I hit my midlife crisis and Traded it in for an Infiniti G37. Man is that car fast! I could never go back to the sofa again!!!

My manual didn't say anything about having the driver door opened, but I tried it that way earlier today and it still didn't go into programming mode. Will look into needing a working remote for this process.

I'll try again next weekend which is the next time I'll see the car, maybe I unlocked the doors with the driver door closed, but I doubt it.

Don't really want to take it to a dealer and pay to find out the car doesnt have a receiver for keyless entry.

I read somewhere that Grand Marquis' used in fleets don't always have remote locks, maybe this was originally one of those.

My manual didn't say anything about having the driver door opened, but I tried it that way earlier today and it still didn't go into programming mode. Will look into needing a working remote for this process.

I'll try again next weekend which is the next time I'll see the car, maybe I unlocked the doors with the driver door closed, but I doubt it.

Don't really want to take it to a dealer and pay to find out the car doesnt have a receiver for keyless entry.

I read somewhere that Grand Marquis' used in fleets don't always have remote locks, maybe this was originally one of those.

I don't go there often, but I've seen on a Mercedes forum I belong to that some members who work at dealers can give you full specs on the car if you PM them with the VIN.  Maybe you can look up if there are any Crown Vic/Grand Marquis forums where a member can tell you all the packages installed with your VIN...or see if anyone here works at a dealer and could look it up for you.  Hopefully that can tell you if the car has the remote feature.

I've also had a Mazda dealer reprogram remotes for me free when I brought the car in for a 30k service.