Midwest

Why N.J. could soon be only state without self-serve gas

73 was Nixon years.  The gas stations had two flags, red and green.  Green meant they had gas in their tanks, red meant they were OUT.  Lines, odd/even fillups and I believe they also limited how many gallons and this was back in the day of 10 or less mpg cars, nearly all with V8s.

79 was the last year of Carter and was the Hostage crisis in Iran, the Mideast/Opec were pulling all the strings during both situations.

Christie implemented odd/even gas rationing during the Sandy post storm crisis due to the long lines of people filling up their spare tanks for their generators.  I was one of the ones without power for 12 days, I remember it well.

i think christies odd/even thing was just up north though. there wasn't anything about it in my area.

that said.........everyone up there should've been filled up. hell.....i went full retard with that down here. had the generator full, 15 spare gallons, and filled my old jeep to the brim, 'cause of how easy it is ti siphon gas from it. had plenty of food/water, and everything that needs charging was fully charged.

in the 79 one, like i mentioned before, they did the odd/even thing, and also wouldn't sell you gas if you had half tank or more.

that said.........everyone up there should've been filled up. hell.....i went full retard with that down here. had the generator full, 15 spare gallons, and filled my old jeep to the brim, 'cause of how easy it is ti siphon gas from it. had plenty of food/water, and everything that needs charging was fully charged.

From what I know of you and most of the folks on this board, you're a bit more responsible than the average citizen.  Guys like us take ownership of our own lives and don't necessarily depend on others in a time of crisis.

From what I know of you and most of the folks on this board, you're a bit more responsible than the average citizen.  Guys like us take ownership of our own lives and don't necessarily depend on others in a time of crisis.

know what was best about that to me? my own mother is one of the unprepared. still is unfortunately. BUT.....she was here for sandy. normally, she berates me, calling me paranoid when i'm on the phone telling her what i was doing to be sure i was ready to handle anything. well.....even though we got off easy down here in south jersey....she was here when sandy came across us. she was scared. while she's too lazy(don't mean to sound mean, but it is what it is) to keep herself prepared.....she doesn't berate me for it anymore. and i rest easier when she's with me, 'cause if i'm prepared, so is she.

my favorite thing was that people didn't realize that they need electricity to get gas.

During Sandy....

Did any of the gas station owners have their own generator? Where they able to borrow a generator? Were there any cases of someone lending a heavy duty generator to a gas station?

Have any gas stations bought a generator since Sandy?

Wawa in Jackson had a generator hauled in, but I doubt it was free. There was talk of requiring gas stations to have backup power, but I don't recall anything coming of it. We were lucky, lost power for 10 days, but close enough to the unaffected area that we could drive about 20 mins and get gas, food, etc.

During Sandy....

Did any of the gas station owners have their own generator? Where they able to borrow a generator? Were there any cases of someone lending a heavy duty generator to a gas station?

During Sandy....

NONE THAT I KNOW OF......

My bad.... I was partially right. Voluntary on a Govt Grant... They'd be foolish not to.

http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2013/10/nj_gas_stations_at_key_locatio.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My bad.... I was partially right. Voluntary on a Govt Grant... They'd be foolish not to.

http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2013/10/nj_gas_stations_at_key_locatio.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

can you imagine....they have a gas powered generator. that they don't keep a full tank on. and they need the generator to get the gas that the generator needs to get the gas? LOLOLOLOL

It's a jobs program, nothing more. It certainly has nothing to do with 'safety', and I don't buy the arguments that eliminating the law would mean the end of full serve, while not saving us money at the pump. 48 other states allow self serve; it's always significantly cheaper, and there is always an abundance of full serve pumps around, if you want that option. There is no magical economic force that would cause the situation to be different in NJ.

I haven't seen a full serve pump in 20 years.

I think there might be a button you can push or something to request a cashier to come out. It would be faster to go inside, wait in line, pay with cash, come back out and pump exactly what you paid without going back in for change.

There are no gas pumpers at the ready outside of NJ as far as I have seen.

I haven't seen a full serve pump in 20 years.

They're out there:  http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=find+full+service+gas+stations+in+pennsylvania     Siri does a good job of finding them, too.

My wife probably drives more miles out of state than in state, and in the finest Jersey Girl Tradition, has never failed to find full service regardless of the state.

Me--I don't look for it.  Self serve will always be significantly cheaper and faster.   I only use full service when I'm forced to, by a nanny state that doesn't believe consumers deserve a choice and that most of its citizens can't be trusted with something as dangerous as a gas nozzle.

They're out there: http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=find+full+service+gas+stations+in+pennsylvaniaSiri does a good job of finding them, too.

My wife probably drives more miles out of state than in state, and in the finest Jersey Girl Tradition, has never failed to find full service regardless of the state.

Me--I don't look for it.  Self serve will always be significantly cheaper and faster.   I only use full service when I'm forced to, by a nanny state that doesn't believe consumers deserve a choice and that most of its citizens can't be trusted with something as dangerous as a gas nozzle.

Haven't seen one in 20 years. PA, AL, ME, CA, WV, a dozen other states. Never seen one. Last one I saw was in 1995, in MD or Delaware run by the Turnpike I think.

They may be out there, but your girl is very resourceful.

Can you give me one example in the Lehigh Valley where she has used a full serve pump? Just because it is close to me and I would like to go over there and see how it is run. My bet is she pushes a button on the pump and a cashier comes out. But if there is a true self serve pump, I would love to see it.

Always faster, hmmm. If you use a credit card or debit card, yes. If you use cash, it can take you 15 to 20 minutes to fill up with gas outside of NJ. You have to wait in line at least once, twice if you want a fill and to get change.

Haven't seen one in 20 years. PA, AL, ME, CA, WV, a dozen other states. Never seen one. Last one I saw was in 1995, in MD or Delaware run by the Turnpike I think.

They may be out there, but your girl is very resourceful.

Can you give me one example in the Lehigh Valley where she has used a full serve pump? Just because it is close to me and I would like to go over there and see how it is run. My bet is she pushes a button on the pump and a cashier comes out. But if there is a true self serve pump, I would love to see it.

Always faster, hmmm. If you use a credit card or debit card, yes. If you use cash, it can take you 15 to 20 minutes to fill up with gas outside of NJ. You have to wait in line at least once, twice if you want a fill and to get change.

The one I know of in the Poconos is no different from Jersey. Park your car and the attendant approaches you.

Interesting, 302w. Is that in Jersey or New York? :) (in the poconos ;) )

Does anybody know where the Standard Oil of New Jersey station is in New Jersey? BTW, the Wickepedi entry is not accurate. You can use the internet archive to find an accurate distribution of their actual stations from a few years ago. There was one in every state as of a few years ago. I assume that is still true, but I know there is still one in Jersey. It is not shown on their website but it never has been from what I have seen over the past 15 years or so. Never did an archive search back to 1996 or anything.

In the past I had a number of refining and also retail petroleum clients and routinely managed, visited, and sued about 100 in New Jersey and about another 100 all up and down the East Coast. This was roughly 1995 to 2005. Since then still involved with a few but never dozens at a time.

Standard Oil (of New Jersey) = SO = ESSO.

Putting on my Shawn Moore hat, I believe that NJ doesn't want us to pump our own gas because they'd have to issue carry permits for us to be able to protect ourselves.  The chief of police of Detroit won't stop for gas in his own city!!!

http://detroit.suntimes.com/det-news/7/77/215611/detroit-police-chief-james-craig-warns-of-pumping-gas-overnight

Interesting, 302w. Is that in Jersey or New York? :) (in the poconos ;) )

Does anybody know where the Standard Oil of New Jersey station is in New Jersey? BTW, the Wickepedi entry is not accurate. You can use the internet archive to find an accurate distribution of their actual stations from a few years ago. There was one in every state as of a few years ago. I assume that is still true, but I know there is still one in Jersey. It is not shown on their website but it never has been from what I have seen over the past 15 years or so. Never did an archive search back to 1996 or anything.

In the past I had a number of refining and also retail petroleum clients and routinely managed, visited, and sued about 100 in New Jersey and about another 100 all up and down the East Coast. This was roughly 1995 to 2005. Since then still involved with a few but never dozens at a time.

Standard Oil (of New Jersey) = SO = ESSO.

There's an ESSO station in Landing on landing road near the pathmark across from the Hopatcong State Park.

This is just silly.  Pumping gas is so easy to do.  The market will figure out what is or is not wanted.  Trenton can't.

During Sandy....

WaWa did.  They actually have a plan for this.  Most of their new stores actually have generator quick connects on the outside.  They have a contract with a generator company.  The store doesn't even have to call anyone.  Once the storm passes, a generator just shows up.  They even have tech's who service the generator every few hours of continuous  runtime.

My wife always manages to find full service here in Houston/The Woodlands...she waits until I'm in the car with her before she "remembers" she needs gas.

This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.