Midwest

Why N.J. could soon be only state without self-serve gas

^

^

Nope

Actually I learned something a few weeks ago when driving up & back to Florida. If you use a Debit card and select the Debit option at the pump you are charged at the Cash rate. Here in NJ (at least at the fuel stations I use) there is no option to select debit so I am charged at the Credit rate. Of course I can’t use the pump to fuel the car but can with the bike. Normally I only fuel up at the stations with cash & credit at same price and try to avoid two tier pricing. 

My local guy told me about that debit card move when he bought the business.  I use that method to get the cash price.  I buy almost all my fuel from him.

Just want to interject one thing here for the record.

Here in NJ or elsewhere, I have NEVER seen a Full Service Gas Station in decades. Today's definition of Full Service is a guy pumps your gas while yacking on his cell phone and tending other cars as yours fills. Then you wait after the pump stops for him to finally come full circle to remove nozzle and get paid. Barely, if ever, a hi or by! You want your windows cleaned, you do it yourself. Air? Get it yourself and even possibly pay for it.

Years ago, Full Service was a guy that came out with a shop rag in his back pocket, asked you how you were doing, asked if you wanted your fluids and air checked, pumped your gas all the while cleaning your windows with a windex of sort and rag and/or squeegee. Then said have a nice day as he waved you off after you paid him.

Just FYI for you youngsters.... :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here in NJ or elsewhere, I have NEVER seen a Full Service Gas Station in decades. Today's definition of Full Service is a guy pumps your gas while yacking on his cell phone and tending other cars as yours fills. Then you wait after the pump stops for him to finally come full circle to remove nozzle and get paid. Barely, if ever, a hi or by! You want your windows cleaned, you do it yourself. Air? Get it yourself and even possibly pay for it.

Years ago, Full Service was a guy that came out with a shop rag in his back pocket, asked you how you were doing, asked if you wanted your fluids and air checked, pumped your gas all the while cleaning your windows with a windex of sort and rag and/or squeegee. Then said have a nice day as he waved you off after you paid him.

the shop across the street from me....they clean every windshield, and check oil if desired. they're also nearly 50 cents/gallon more expensive.

the shop across the street from me....they clean every windshield, and check oil if desired. they're also nearly 50 cents/gallon more expensive.

Whelp, you can look at it in a different light. First, far and rare these days. But you can chalk up the extra .50 to better service. Get what you pay for. Or just not. :)

Whelp, you can look at it in a different light. First, far and rare these days. But you can chalk up the extra .50 to better service. Get what you pay for. Or just not. :)

i've talked to the owner quite often about his prices. i do his alignments for him, as he doesn't have a rack. he pays more for it than the guys where my shop is sell theirs for. the supplier is screwing him, and not even putting a tiny bit of lube on there for him........

If we are talking still about the gas price. Stations get two different prices for their gas. Owner/Operator or Franchised. (Not sure if I got the terminology right)... One has to charge more because he pays more.

What really cracks me up about the ban on self serve is that it doesn't apply to aircraft. The state tries to claim with a straight face that fueling a vehicle is far too complex for the average citizen to master, but every small airport has a self serve pump so we weekend pilots can fill the wings with 100 octane LEADED AV gas!

Same in the boating world or at least it used to be when I was in high school. I worked at a gas dock and we were not allowed to pump gas just hand the nozzle to the person and collect their money.  

i don't recall ever seeing full service options where i visit in florida. or georgis, nc, sc, va. i think i did see those options though in md and de.......

There is 2 full service stations near West Palm Beach FL. I know because that's where my grandma used to go so she did not have to pump her own gas.

Don’t forget about the FREE Dish & Glass sets

Don’t forget about the FREE Dish & Glass sets

Or the Plaid or Green Stamps. My dad worked for Plaid Stamps when there were stores about. Got lots of free stuff.

lol Jeepster.

I forget why we still have this law, code.. whatever it's called.  Thought maybe about some past lawsuit.  Not sure.

But it does keep those Wawa guys employed.

It is in line though with our over-bearing government.  If we are allowed to pump our own, how will they do it?

An open Carry permit for a Pump nozzle?

Will it be a May issue... or Shall issue?  And  based on what? 

What will the fees be?

Will training be required?

Will there be limits on how many gallons?  10 max ... or 15 max?  OR do we get 30 like other states?

Will we have to subsidized the laid off pump jockys?  Retrain them to be hair stylists or massage therapists?

This IS new jersey... so.....

Will a justifiable need for gasoline be necessary?

Will a justifiable need for gasoline be necessary?

are you old enough to remember either of the gas "shortages"? i think it was 73? the arab oil embargo? or was that one the one in 79? either way, i was a kid the first time, although i remember it. the 2nd time 'round, i'd just gotten my lisence. you could not get gas unless you had less than half a tank. and even then, it was an odd/even system. and even then. the lines were often a quarter mile long. technically speaking, it was on a "need" basis, which you had to justify, so i guess it was justifiable need. essentially, it was rationing. i remember it honestly like it was yesterday.

'79 I think. I already had my license and went through that. Happened several years ago also during the storms, although short thank goodness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt it considering there were palm trees in the background across the street.

Only time I can recall NJ not needing a front plate, (for a year), was during the bicentennial in 1976.... Cops were also aloud to grow beards.

'79 I think. I already had my license and went through that. Happened several years ago also during the storms, although short thank goodness.

i think only in the areas that got hit. during irene, we'd ordered our cape may county squadron to remove their assets from the airport. they didn't . myself and another member drove down there the night before she was to make landfall. the road out towards 55 was backed up for miles on the exit side. nearly everyone was trying to leave by way of rt55.  the lines at the gas stations down there that night took me right back to 1979. it was actually pretty eerie. the main difference was this time mostly sikhs, not americans. they had guys metering the flow of cars into their lots. the lines were nearly 1/4 mile long. gas was more than a buck a gallon more expensive than here in cherry hill.

when we got their assets loaded into their van, we rolled. rather than sit in that traffic, we hit the gsp. no one on there. bunch of dumbasses panicking, and not a single one thought to go to the gsp, lololol

Only time I can recall NJ not needing a front plate, (for a year), was during the bicentennial in 1976.... Cops were also aloud to grow beards.

I was in utero in 1976, sounds cool though. The Bee Gee's kicked ass that year lol...

It was a year I barely remember. With all the '76 hoopla for the festivities and just so happening to graduate HS, I don't recall being sober too often. Lol...

are you old enough to remember either of the gas "shortages"? i think it was 73? the arab oil embargo? or was that one the one in 79? either way, i was a kid the first time, although i remember it. the 2nd time 'round, i'd just gotten my lisence. you could not get gas unless you had less than half a tank. and even then, it was an odd/even system. and even then. the lines were often a quarter mile long. technically speaking, it was on a "need" basis, which you had to justify, so i guess it was justifiable need. essentially, it was rationing. i remember it honestly like it was yesterday.

I vaguely remember long gas lines, would have had to have been '79.  I was born late '72.

Fun story about checking oil at gas stations.

I worked in a garage that was attached to a gas station awhile back. A girl I used to date shows up to get gas and bugs the gas guy to check her oil, and he doesn't speak English. He drags me over, and I'm stuck talking to her. She had just left a job interview and was looking fantastic.

After she left everyone was picking on me for not getting her number. My only response was been there, done that. She crazy.

I vaguely remember long gas lines, would have had to have been '79.  I was born late '72.

well we had two shortages. on the one in 73, i'm pretty sure that was the arab oil embargo. i don't really know what pissed em off.....but they messed with us big time.

i think the one in 79 was a revolution in iran or the iran/iraq war, but again, i was young, and not following the "why", just busy being  pissed off......

Labor cost in a reasonably-busy gas station is something less than 3 or 4 cents per gallon - not enough to notice after the initial "drop" to justify self-service.  Think about it - a gas jockey making minimum wage, taxes and no benefits.  What I'm opposed to is being forced to have someone else do it for me.  I'm more than capable of doing it myself, did so for years through high school at a busy station in Morristown.  And amazingly never blew myself up.  This was back in the day before vapor retention systems.  The station was the last one around with leaded hi-test and we saw some great cars because of it.

It's not about safety or "for the seniors" or anyone else that doesn't want to pump their own.  Some group (the gasoline retailers association?) donates to local pols and isn't interested in it because with self serve, the major producers would open company convenience stores and take business from the locals.  Polks keep getting the donations and can say "it's for your convenience".  There is no money in it for them to change the law, and the "great job" they would get from it would be eclipsed by the screaming from those that don't want to get out of their cars.  Never mind that it's just more government meddling in the details of how local business must operate.  As if there is armagedon in the 48 states that allow it (soon to be 49 based on this thread).

I could be wrong but I don’t remember gas lines in 73 but I do remember it was during the later Nixon years around Christmas time and Nixon suggested not using Christmas lights to save on energy. The later one did have the odd/even plate system gas rationing and it was a zoo trying to obtain fuel.  So fast forward to today the Middle East still has us over a barrel and Obama won’t let us drill. The more things change the more they stay the same.