RobCo

Additional handgun permits question?

I already have my FID, and I am looking to get a few more handgun permits.

Do I need to go through the entire process again including the fingerprints?

Or do I just need to fill out just the - Application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permit?

Most municipalities don't require re fingerprinting, some do. It's up to the Chief. I can't say what your town requires. I know mine does not. Just the application including 2 references and mental history check, for permits.

Most municipalities don't require re fingerprinting, some do. It's up to the Chief. I can't say what your town requires. I know mine does not. Just the application including 2 references and mental history check, for permits.

This is true in my town as well.  Recently got some new P2P's within a couple of weeks of filing the application.

I can't believe that municipalities can get away with requiring a new set of fingerprints.  Since the value of fingerprints is that they are a permanent form of identification, requiring that new ones be obtained is clearly a ploy to increase the time, expense, and inconvenience of applying for new permits, with no other imaginable value than to discourage some people from going forward with the process.

This is true in my town as well. Recently got some new P2P's within a couple of weeks of filing the application.

I can't believe that municipalities can get away with requiring a new set of fingerprints. Since the value of fingerprints is that they are a permanent

form of identification, requiring that new ones be obtained is clearly a ploy to increase the time, expense, and inconvenience of applying for new

permits, with no other imaginable value than to discourage some people from going forward with the process.

I agree, it's probably done by anti gun municipalities in the name of public safety. We all know that's a crock of shit.

You have to submit:

Application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permit

Mental Health Consent Form

Once submitted you'll have to do the state police background check online.

That's pretty much it...unless you live in Jersey CIty  :rtfm:

Never heard about the background check online. Didn't have to do that for my FID

on a side note

it has been a month since I submitted my paperwork. And I know my references got the letters and sent them back already

But I haven't heard a thing...welcome to NJ

Never heard about the background check online. Didn't have to do that for my FID

on a side note

it has been a month since I submitted my paperwork. And I know my references got the letters and sent them back already

But I haven't heard a thing...welcome to NJ

Ohh boy..lol

When you submitted the application for the pistol permits, your PD shouldve given you a code and then you go onto the state website and apply for background check online that you pay 20 bucks for via credit card. The results get automatically sent back to PD online. I did mine the same day I submitted

How much did you pay your PD? Maybe your PD still does it internally? I suggest you find out about your background check though.

I think most municipalities are doing the online check at this point. Some towns may still be doing the old fashion $18 money order manual check. If you gave them an $18 money order, then that town is still doing it old school. Which takes longer for them to get the answer back, than the $20 online check you do yourself from home will.

I checked into it and my PD doesn't do that online background check.

However, it has been two plus months and I still haven't heard anything.

I called them yesterday and the response I got "we are still working on it"

Got to love NJ

I checked into it and my PD doesn't do that online background check.

However, it has been two plus months and I still haven't heard anything.

I called them yesterday and the response I got "we are still working on it"

Got to love NJ

Don't feel bad, I submitted my permit to purchase a handgun on July 26th, still haven't heard a word from the town...

I think most municipalities are doing the online check at this point. Some towns may still be doing the old fashion $18 money order manual check. If you gave them an $18 money order, then that town is still doing it old school. Which takes longer for them to get the answer back, than the $20 online check you do yourself from home will.

Does anyone have the link for the online check?

I received a phone call from my local PD yesterday and they informed me that Applicant Flow Sheet was missing and I needed to go on the NJ State Police site for the online check. This information was not given to me when I dropped off the forms

thanks

I received a phone call from my local PD yesterday and they informed me that Applicant Flow Sheet was missing and I needed to go on the NJ State Police site for the online check. This information was not given to me when I dropped off the forms

thanks

Even with the link you still need a special number from the township, you have to enter into the website that identifies your municipality to the NJSP. So they know where to send your background check to.

I have the special number

Even with the link you still need a special number from the township, you have to enter into the website that identifies your municipality to the NJSP. So they know where to send your background check to.

I have the special number from the township, but they didnt give me the link

thanks

That's the one.  I just used it a few weeks ago.  

I had to submit my mental health check just this week because of scheduling conflicts with the woman who processes these at my local PD.  Anyone know how long the Mental Health Check takes compared to the NJSP online background check?  My local PD is one of the fastest I've heard of here (2 week turnaround after all paperwork and references for my initial FID and P2P) but I'm not sure what parts take longer.  I already purchased but am just waiting to pick up..

My understanding is NJSP is either same day or next day. 

The mental health check turnaround varies by county. You can often call the county office that does the check (I forget what it's called, county clerk?) and either ask on the status of your individual check or get an idea of how long turnaround is. For example, when I first got my FID, Passaic County was taking 3+ months, but I understand turnaround times have gone down due to the hiring of someone at the county office dedicated to doing the checks. When Hudson County ran mine, my recollection is it was under a week. Of course, that one week turnaround is pointless if it takes your PD two months to submit the check and then followed by another two months of the results sitting in their inbox.

*quote omitted for brevity*

Thank you!  You answered my question as well as I could have asked.  My local PD sent my paperwork off upon receipt.  The woman who works on it seemed to be great and she does not sit on things like other places do.  The only caveat is that she works 2-3 days a week, but that's perfectly acceptable as long as she's getting the job done when she is there. Hoping I can get my P2Ps by the end of next week

thanks

After some extensive research, I have found out that the Plainfield PD does not accept online request for the background check. Of course I find this out after finding the correct ORI number and then receiving a message that "The selected ORI number is associated with CITY/AGENCY- PLAINFIELD PD. Currently selected agency is not accepting any online requests."