Sign in to follow this  
Zeke

It's hot as.....

Hotter than africa out there. Tomorrow were starting to build an out door kitchen at a poolhouse. Against a brick wall on a paver patio in full sun all day. I feel bad for my guys. Ill be out there with them all day. Drink water lots of it. The lack of is nasty. Dehydration/heat exhaustion will take you out for a few days.

Hottest day I ever experienced was probably summer of 93.  It was 101º that day, no clouds, full sun.  I was working on a roof top air conditioning unit on a hotel.  Flat black roof.  My IR thermometer said the roof surface was 160º.  I was up there for a couple of hours.  I couldn't see what I was doing because of the sweat running into my eyes.  

I finally got the unit working.  The temperature inside the hotel had reached about 85º.  I packed up my things and went to get a signature from the receptionist who said "I'm glad you got it fixed, it's really hot in here."

I spent about a year in conditions similar to that but generally didn't get above 100°. I carried about 80 lbm of gear marching up and down mountains at about 10 miles a day and pushing and cutting through brush at about 50 yards per hour.

I drank about two gallons of water and mud a day and peed every other day. My clothes turned white and even the leather parts of my boots were white with salt stains. At night I would look like a ghost if there was moonlight. When I had mud I would rub it into my clothes from time to time to get the white off me. I ate about one meal a day on average or maybe just some things I found here and there some days. I shit about once a week. Never any time for trapping and never any fire. I was dumb enough to dip but had to swallow my spit to avoid leaving a trail or losing water. I was a smoker but there was no smoking so I dipped.

The heat would get unbearable sometimes and I would try to hide in cumma grass to get out of the sun. But it would just clutch the humidity around me and make it worse. It's one of those things where you are miserable and have to do something. When you do nothing, it makes you more miserable, and when you do something, it makes you even more miserable. I had a friend go real tits-up and we were on a hill and had almost no water. Just an IV bag. So we gave him the IV and had to "improvise" water on his skin to cool him. Fortunately we were reasonably hydrated and there was a breeze to allow some evaporative cooling. Dude actually recovered but should have spent a month in a hospital. I am sure he was screwed up and of course I had to carry half his shit.

I spent about a year in conditions similar to that but generally didn't get above 100°. I carried about 80 lbm of gear marching up and down mountains at about 10 miles a day and pushing and cutting through brush at about 50 yards per hour.

I drank about two gallons of water and mud a day and peed every other day. My clothes turned white and even the leather parts of my boots were white with salt stains. At night I would look like a ghost if there was moonlight. When I had mud I would rub it into my clothes from time to time to get the white off me. I ate about one meal a day on average or maybe just some things I found here and there some days. I shit about once a week. Never any time for trapping and never any fire. I was dumb enough to dip but had to swallow my spit to avoid leaving a trail or losing water. I was a smoker but there was no smoking so I dipped.

The heat would get unbearable sometimes and I would try to hide in cumma grass to get out of the sun. But it would just clutch the humidity around me and make it worse. It's one of those things where you are miserable and have to do something. When you do nothing, it makes you more miserable, and when you do something, it makes you even more miserable. I had a friend go real tits-up and we were on a hill and had almost no water. Just an IV bag. So we gave him the IV and had to "improvise" water on his skin to cool him. Fortunately we were reasonably hydrated and there was a breeze to allow some evaporative cooling. Dude actually recovered but should have spent a month in a hospital. I am sure he was screwed up and of course I had to carry half his shit.

Sound like you worked in hell or maybe the earthly equivalent....... Forest Fire Service?

post-2362-143758158577_thumb.jpg

Monday and Tuesday I was removing foam glass insulation off this tower. I was 75' up and it ran at 800 degrees. The ambient was so hot that you could occasionally smell your hair burning and your lips felt like they were on fire. I didn't even notice it's was 95 degrees out because I went into the sun to cool off

Wimps. They should deport you all to the swamps of Alabama.

We've had like 5 hot days this summer. 

I work in an attic in my boxers with an exhaust fan pulling the air through. Every AC I've tried freezes up from over-work. I'm afraid even to measure the temperature because the next day I'll read that 115 degrees will kill you. 

Put an ice cube in your jock strap and man up.

Wimps. They should deport you all to the swamps of Alabama.

We've had like 5 hot days this summer. 

I work in an attic in my boxers with an exhaust fan pulling the air through. Every AC I've tried freezes up from over-work. I'm afraid even to measure the temperature because the next day I'll read that 115 degrees will kill you. 

Put an ice cube in your jock strap and man up.

lol...

I'm never asking you for ice for a drink.....