Sign in to follow this  
Luke_WO

Heat Resistant Gloves

We have a brick pizza oven in our backyard that my old man and I built together. It's a lot of fun to use, especially since I enjoy building fires, and it puts out GREAT homemade pizza. But since you're building a fire in a confined space (the opening is only about 14 inches wide), it gets a little tricky trying to put wood in and move it around in that hotbox. Been using oven mitts for the time being, but I really need a good pair of high heat resistant gloves. I don't know anything about them and I've seen them all over listed at anywhere from $5 to $100. The oven gets to at least 700 degrees once it's good and going, if that matters. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

The only problem with welders gloves is that the heat eventually gets through the heavy leather.

They'll insulate very well for several seconds but if you're handling something hot for much longer, the leather touching your hand gets hot. You can drop the hot item but the glove is still hot. I've tossed gloves from my hands several times when I held something hot for too long.

The welding gloves will do the trick.  Just be careful when using them to directly grip something conductive that has been in there for a while.  Should be fine for moving wood, coal, and embers.  

I've done a lot of outdoor cooking and have yet to find a glove that will work when we're talking hot cast iron and or similar.  Now I just double up some kitchen towels and have at it.  Make sure they're dry ;-).