SJG

Need to remove rail problem

I want to remove and replace a rail on my AR-15. The original rail, free float, has several star type screws, not hex,  located on the exterior of the rail. They are in so tight I cannot budge them. Any suggestions? I will strip the head if I apply any more force

I want to remove and replace a rail on my AR-15. The original rail, free float, has several star type screws, not hex,  located on the exterior of the rail. They are in so tight I cannot budge them. Any suggestions? I will strip the head if I apply any more force

Follow Mikeyjones directions. I had the same issue with mine.

Glockncolts has the right idea. Careful with that torch, too broad a heat source. Hair dryers or commercial heating irons are safer. If Blue 242 or red 271 was used need to heat to 482F and remove when hot.  This should only be necessary if too much was used. 

No auto mechanics in here? You need to use an impact driver

This is what I'm talking about

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-impact-driver/p-00947641000P

I use that for the Phillips screws on my brake disks... I can't imagine you would need that for torx, there should be enough contact area. Some heat and muscle should get the screw out with out stripping anything. Not to mention you need to pound on that impact driver for it to be effective.

Also, I'm pretty sure the bits are of a larger then normal size. I recall them being pretty beefy. Might be hard to find a torx bit that fits into the impact wrench.

It's good for ALL screws, if you have a good one like a name brand one you don't need to hit it hard at all for it to work. Everyone makes 3/8" drive torx bit sets, even seen them at home depot. 

Not saying heating it won't work but if you don't heat it properly you will just soften the screws and strip them out anyway. 

Besides, why heat it and mess up the paint?