Sign in to follow this  
Purple Patrick

An old safe

So we were given this old safe since it is made by a company with our last name on it(Hall). They seem to be still be a pretty high end safe company. All I know is this thing is pretty old and i know the combination for the outside. I do not have the key for the inside but it looks like a pretty straight forward lock. Does anone think it would be easy to pick open? I'm not very experience but picked up a lockpick set and a practice lock to dick around with. I don't think I can really hurt it unless I snap the pick off in there?

I think I might try to contact the company and try to get mote info since it has a serial number on it.

89556959e72f66f674f8bccd0324f29d.jpg072b48c4ea78b16bb3f3341d17b91abf.jpg3da2f2e0580096b26fcfbed9532aa0e2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

My son bought me a lockpick from Duluth's catalog, and I was playing around with it for a few weeks off and on in the evenings. I was able to get into a couple of Kwikset and Schlage locks with it, and a few padlocks. I'm not experienced with it by any means, but it tells me that with some patience and practice, you can probably get that thing open. 

Since you already take firearms apart, you know you can visualize the mechanics of how the locks work, so you just have to jiggle it like you'll plan to. Peek at a few Youtube videos, it'll help. It did for me, and I already knew how locks worked, having taken them apart for years.

I'll be waiting for my 5% of the booty inside!  :haha:

That appears to be a lever lock.  A normal set of picks will not work - completely different mechanism.  Lever locks are very secure and difficult to pick.  They can be picked with a "hobbs" type lock pick or a "curtain" pick but those are expensive and very lock specific.  Nobody is going to have such a thing for this old safe.  No locksmith is going to spend any time trying to pick it. 

Here's an animation that's pretty close to the type of lock you have.  You can see that the "fence" needs to fit through the "gates" in the levers for the "bolt" to retract.  The levers have false gates that this video doesn't show.  These false gates bind everything up if the levers aren't lifted to the right height.  Here's the animation:

I'll PM you with what I would try but you will likely end up having to drill it out and then see if you can find replacement parts.

I know that my local locksmith collects old safes and he has a few that look like that that I beleive are from the same company. That safe is old so it may not have it, but some safes have some type of glass thing that If it's broken by someone trying to pick it you'll need a locksmith to open the safe.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info guys. It's not like my sentry that I can break with a Bobby pin and my good looks

I done seen yer face, dude, ya need a lot more den a bobby pin even for dat Sentry!!! :laugh:

Maintenanceguy may have a point, he seems to know WAY more than I do regarding safes.He seems to recognize it from the keyway, something I sure didn't.

• Like 1

My father is a Master Locksmith (retired) for years.  If you're still stuck and local to Morristown, try Cy Drake Locksmiths on Ridgedale Ave.

Someone there should be able to get that open without destroying it.

My father is a Master Locksmith (retired) for years. If you're still stuck and local to Morristown, try Cy Drake Locksmiths on Ridgedale Ave.

Someone there should be able to get that open without destroying it.

Thanks I'll look into them, I'm about 20 minutes from Morristown. Any ballpark idea what it would cost?