Sign in to follow this  
Malsua

Wrong Way driver

So I was driving home from Ohio this morning and there was a wrong way driver on the interstate.  The cops had apparently just shut her down.  Since they were both backwards as well, I must assume they were chasing her.

As a side note, the Acura got 35.7Miles per gallon on the way there and just short of that on the way back.  I think that's great for a 290HP machine that runs a solid low 14 1/4.

• Like 1

So I was driving home from Ohio this morning and there was a wrong way driver on the interstate.  The cops had apparently just shut her down.  Since they were both backwards as well, I must assume they were chasing her.

As a side note, the Acura got 35.7Miles per gallon on the way there and just short of that on the way back.  I think that's great for a 290HP machine that runs a solid low 14 1/4.

I could get up to 40 mpg on the highway with my old sonata turbo 2013 with 275hp i believe.  I have a 2015 turbo now and I struggle to get it to 30, and they dropped the horsepower.

I could get up to 40 mpg on the highway with my old sonata turbo 2013 with 275hp i believe.  I have a 2015 turbo now and I struggle to get it to 30, and they dropped the horsepower.

That's pretty good, but I wasn't light footed.  My moving average was 73mph on the way, and 72 on the way back.   At 90mph, the Acura is practically idling along at 1900rpm and I ran between 80 and 90 the entire way.  The mileage would be better if I didn't have 40 miles of country, hills and stop lights at either end of the 500 mile trek.  Oh and I did the entire trip on one tank with 80 miles to empty.   Filled up with 14 gallons on a 17.2 gallon tank.

What year and model Acura are you driving? 290 HP sounds like a TL Type S but the hood doesn't look like the 3rd Gen TL hood, and I think the 4th Gen TL's have more HP.

Nice dashcam and V1 btw. Are you using the YaV1 app for the V1? If not, you really should. It'll make your V1 a Beast.

What year and model Acura are you driving? 290 HP sounds like a TL Type S but the hood doesn't look like the 3rd Gen TL hood, and I think the 4th Gen TL's have more HP.

Nice dashcam and V1 btw. Are you using the YaV1 app for the V1? If not, you really should. It'll make your V1 a Beast.

2015 TLX.  V6 with a 9 spd transmission.  

The Dashcam is a DOD 330W.   I had a G1W for a while and while the day vid is about the same, the DOD has HDR so the night vision is much better.

I'm not using the app just because I'm lazy and that'd be one more thing my phone needs to do.   I updated the V1 last year because the car proximity sensors were driving me crazy and only very few car sensors get through now.   I've got X off entirely.   In Ohio, all the cops were using was laser.  In NJ cops use 99% Ka and PA was a mix of K and KA.

2015 TLX.  V6 with a 9 spd transmission.  

The Dashcam is a DOD 330W.   I had a G1W for a while and while the day vid is about the same, the DOD has HDR so the night vision is much better.

I'm not using the app just because I'm lazy and that'd be one more thing my phone needs to do.   I updated the V1 last year because the car proximity sensors were driving me crazy and only very few car sensors get through now.   I've got X off entirely.   In Ohio, all the cops were using was laser.  In NJ cops use 99% Ka and PA was a mix of K and KA.

Be careful. While most departments in NJ use Stalker Radar Units which transmit in the 34.700 Ka frequency, K and X band is still used by some departments. I even ran into a trooper running X band on 195 a couple of years ago. X band is definitely being phased out but there are still a few patrol cars running them. There are also a decent amount of local towns that run K band in addition to Ka band.

You really should consider running YaV1. It does a great job at locking out falses from supermarkets and it also gives you the ability to segment your Ka band frequencies. Segmenting allows your V1 to look within just certain frequencies instead of scanning the whole Ka band all together which takes more time. Segmenting will give you better range and quicker alerts. NJSP also use lidar, mainly LTI units. But your V1 won't save you from lidar if you're the target. It may save you if you get lidar scatter, which the V1 is the best at. But never rely on a radar detector to save you from lidar.

S

Wrong way drivers happen here weekly. Stupid off ramps with traffic lights. I miss the Jersey jug handles.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

Same here in WNC, see it once a week just not on the interstate though, here we have plenty of roads separated by a wide median with stores and such in the middle. Nearly every one going the wrong way is over 80 yrs old and has either a SC or Fla plate.

Be careful. While most departments in NJ use Stalker Radar Units which transmit in the 34.700 Ka frequency, K and X band is still used by some departments. I even ran into a trooper running X band on 195 a couple of years ago. X band is definitely being phased out but there are still a few patrol cars running them. There are also a decent amount of local towns that run K band in addition to Ka band.

You really should consider running YaV1. It does a great job at locking out falses from supermarkets and it also gives you the ability to segment your Ka band frequencies. Segmenting allows your V1 to look within just certain frequencies instead of scanning the whole Ka band all together which takes more time. Segmenting will give you better range and quicker alerts. NJSP also use lidar, mainly LTI units. But your V1 won't save you from lidar if you're the target. It may save you if you get lidar scatter, which the V1 is the best at. But never rely on a radar detector to save you from lidar.

I feel that a Radar detector is part of a comprehensive speeding defense, not a monolithic solution.   You have to watch traffic flows, watch for hiding spots, watch for brake lights, look ahead and in general see if they are out.   Saturday morning we saw probably 40-50 cops on the way to Ohio.  On Tuesday coming home, we saw 7.      I have never seen X band in NJ.  It may exist, but not where I travel.  After 2 years, I shut it off because of the constant door chatter and whatnot.

Lidar protection is essentially useless although I did catch a scatter shot about 3 seconds before I was bathed in it on I77 sb in Ohio. 

The only way to speed successfully is to keep it under 15mph over when you're not sure if there's a cop and drop down if you get a ping. If you are certain it's a light patrol day, have good sight lines, are in the middle of nowhere, you can run up more.   Back in the old fuzz buster constant on X band days(early 80s) you'd get a radar ping 2 miles away and if nothing was beeping, you could speed with impunity.

I feel that a Radar detector is part of a comprehensive speeding defense, not a monolithic solution.   You have to watch traffic flows, watch for hiding spots, watch for brake lights, look ahead and in general see if they are out.   Saturday morning we saw probably 40-50 cops on the way to Ohio.  On Tuesday coming home, we saw 7.      I have never seen X band in NJ.  It may exist, but not where I travel.  After 2 years, I shut it off because of the constant door chatter and whatnot.

Lidar protection is essentially useless although I did catch a scatter shot about 3 seconds before I was bathed in it on I77 sb in Ohio. 

The only way to speed successfully is to keep it under 15mph over when you're not sure if there's a cop and drop down if you get a ping. If you are certain it's a light patrol day, have good sight lines, are in the middle of nowhere, you can run up more.   Back in the old fuzz buster constant on X band days(early 80s) you'd get a radar ping 2 miles away and if nothing was beeping, you could speed with impunity.

Agreed! The best countermeasure is situational awareness. One can have $10,000 worth of countermeasures, but if you don't rely on your eyes and situational awareness, you'll still get popped. Even so, you can do everything right, and still get popped. I disagree with the 15 mph over comment however. You can do much faster than that equipment, common sense, and a good set of eyes and gut feeling.

As for protection against lidar, you can get yourself a set of jammers.

How about you just don't speed. You know, obey the speed limit. Wouldn't that make it a lot easier and cheaper? And safer for the people around you that you are endangering?

Arbitrary speed limits on interstate highways exist only fatten the coffers of police departments.    The average speed on the German autobahn is much higher and there's no appreciable uptick in accidents comparatively.   Speeding in residential zones and areas with cross traffic is one thing and quite dangerous.   On open, limited access roads 70mph is laughable.  

If you've never driven on the autobahn, I can understand how you might believe it's a problem.   When you travel 100+mph for hours at a time, you realize that arbitrarily low speed limits are just wasting your life.   When you get into areas with congestion on the Autobahn, it slows you to 130kph(roughly 82mph) and in the center city areas it can go to as low as 50kph on the highways...but when you see that circle with the 5 slashes...zoom zoom.

Here's a vid my passenger took of me driving our rented Mini Clubman at about 175kph(108mph).  We were running from Saarbrucken to Heidelberg on that trip.

• Like 1

How about you just don't speed. You know, obey the speed limit. Wouldn't that make it a lot easier and cheaper? And safer for the people around you that you are endangering?

Well, until they build some autobahn's in NJ, you should obey speed limits and not endanger other people.

The people who are endangering other drivers are the idiots that sit in the passing lane doing the speed limit. It's the idiots who don't check their blind spots while switching lanes. It's the idiots who tailgate. It's the idiots who talk or text on the cell phone while driving. It's the idiots who actually do the artificially low speed limit. It's the idiots who think they have a right to try and keep faster cars from passing them. While I don't condone speeding on local roads b/c there is just too much stuff to look out for and everything "moves" faster, responsibly speeding on the Parkway or Turnpike is not nearly as dangerous as the idiot acts mentioned above, including driving the speed limit, and especially if you're doing it in the passing lane which forces everyone to try and get around you on the right which is far more dangerous than speeding safely.

• Like 2

Arbitrary speed limits on interstate highways exist only fatten the coffers of police departments.    The average speed on the German autobahn is much higher and there's no appreciable uptick in accidents comparatively.   Speeding in residential zones and areas with cross traffic is one thing and quite dangerous.   On open, limited access roads 70mph is laughable.  

If you've never driven on the autobahn, I can understand how you might believe it's a problem.   When you travel 100+mph for hours at a time, you realize that arbitrarily low speed limits are just wasting your life.   When you get into areas with congestion on the Autobahn, it slows you to 130kph(roughly 82mph) and in the center city areas it can go to as low as 50kph on the highways...but when you see that circle with the 5 slashes...zoom zoom.

Here's a vid my passenger took of me driving our rented Mini Clubman at about 175kph(108mph).  We were running from Saarbrucken to Heidelberg on that trip.

They also have a real "road code" where you wouldn't dare sit in the left lane just because, you move over when someone behind you is coming up fast, etc.  It would never work here because of two bit busybodies who know it all and feel you're going too fast. (or feel you have too many bullets for your magazine, or too many ounces in your soda)