frodfrodfrod

New guy waiting on FID and Permit

Hey guys,

My name is Frankie. I am new to firearms all around and I am excited to start my journey into the world of firearms. I am from Monmouth county and I am currently waiting on my FID and Permit so i can purchase my first handgun, the Glock 19. Here is my experience so far with the application process with the Middletown PD:

5/13- Filled out FID and Permit application

5/21- Got fingerprints done

5/23- References received and sent back letter to my PD

5/24- Went into PD and followed up with copy of my finger prints receipt becauseI wasn't sure if I had to bring that back. The women at the desk told me I did not have to however she took my papers and made a copy for their records.

6/7- Called the records department in Middletown PD and kindly asked for an update on my application. The women was very nice and more than happy to check my status. She told me that they had recieved all my paper work a couple days ago and that they are processing them at the moment. I am hopeful that they will be done soon. A couple of my buddies have told me that my PD is fairly quick so my fingers are crossed!!

• Like 2

Thats pretty good Frankie and welcome!  The Glock 19 is a great first firearm, I did mine the reverse and I actually have a few other pistols but am getting my first Glock (most likely a 19 Gen 4) within a week or two.

Your PD sounds pretty friendly and efficient, that is good to hear!  I dropped off my permit paperwork approximately 3-4 weeks ago so mine should be ready soon as well, as my town is also one of the more efficient ones.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

My name is Frankie. I am new to firearms all around and I am excited to start my journey into the world of firearms. I am from Monmouth county and I am currently waiting on my FID and Permit so i can purchase my first handgun, the Glock 19. Here is my experience so far with the application process with the Middletown PD:

5/13- Filled out FID and Permit application

5/21- Got fingerprints done

5/23- References received and sent back letter to my PD

5/24- Went into PD and followed up with copy of my finger prints receipt becauseI wasn't sure if I had to bring that back. The women at the desk told me I did not have to however she took my papers and made a copy for their records.

6/7- Called the records department in Middletown PD and kindly asked for an update on my application. The women was very nice and more than happy to check my status. She told me that they had recieved all my paper work a couple days ago and that they are processing them at the moment. I am hopeful that they will be done soon. A couple of my buddies have told me that my PD is fairly quick so my fingers are crossed!!

If your township is gun owner friendly i would say you will have your FID & permits within a couple weeks from today. If they are not gun friendly it can be months. Ive seen horror stories on this forum of people waiting 6-8 months before getting theirs. 

I live in Bridgewater and when i went through the process it was 4 weeks from start to finish. 

Welcome, this hobby gets addicting and VERY expensive! Have fun and be safe.

• Like 1

Thats pretty good Frankie and welcome!  The Glock 19 is a great first firearm, I did mine the reverse and I actually have a few other pistols but am getting my first Glock (most likely a 19 Gen 4) within a week or two.

Your PD sounds pretty friendly and efficient, that is good to hear!  I dropped off my permit paperwork approximately 3-4 weeks ago so mine should be ready soon as well, as my town is also one of the more efficient ones.

Thank you I hope you have a quick turn around for your FID and PP as well! Where do you plan on purchasing your G19? 

If your township is gun owner friendly i would say you will have your FID & permits within a couple weeks from today. If they are not gun friendly it can be months. Ive seen horror stories on this forum of people waiting 6-8 months before getting theirs. 

I live in Bridgewater and when i went through the process it was 4 weeks from start to finish. 

Welcome, this hobby gets addicting and VERY expensive! Have fun and be safe.

So far I've heard only positive things about my local PD so I hope you're right about a couple of weeks! Its crazy reading some of these stories on here about 6 and 8+ month wait times for FID and PP especially since its our right. I am looking forward to get shooting and spending my money at the range haha

Hi I'm new here also, I put all my paperwork in six weeks ago in Jackson. I called the them today and the phone prompt tells you to hang up if you are inquiring about firearms permits.

We will call you when they are ready

Hope your turn around is sooner than later man. If you don't hear back in a couple weeks I'd say maybe stop in and ask in person. Again I am new so I don't know for sure if that will help but its worth a shot! Good luck.

Thank you! Which range do you like to go to around here?

I'm a range slut, I go all over, although I guess RTSP counts as my "home" range. 

Lately I've been going the most to a private club outdoor range as a guest, but also recently went to Garden State Shooting Center in Lakewood for the first time and was impressed. 

I'm a range slut, I go all over, although I guess RTSP counts as my "home" range. 

Lately I've been going the most to a private club outdoor range as a guest, but also recently went to Garden State Shooting Center in Lakewood for the first time and was impressed. 

Good to know! I've been looking into the different ranges in my area. A couple close ones are Shore Shot, Heritage Guild and Guns Fore Hire. Either way its a bit of a drive for me but its not terrible.

Never heard of Garden State Shooting Center until now ill be sure to check them out thanks!

Welcome to the forum and firearm community. Great first choice for a pistol. Cant go wrong with a Glock 19. I have one.

Btw, I also live in Middletown. The PD is good to deal with. They are likely dealing with a large volume of applications so I recommend you be patient.

Regarding ranges, I am a member of Garden State Shooting Center in Lakewood. (Located about 2 minutes from SureShot.). Note that Heritage Guild in Rahway is a store but not a range. Their Easton, Pa location has a range but that is a much longer ride than Lakewood.

Regards, Art

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum and firearm community. Great first choice for a pistol. Cant go wrong with a Glock 19. I have one.

Btw, I also live in Middletown. The PD is good to deal with. They are likely dealing with a large volume of applications so I recommend you be patient.

Regarding ranges, I am a member of Garden State Shooting Center in Lakewood. (Located about 2 minutes from SureShot.). Note that Heritage Guild in Rahway is a store but not a range. Their Easton, Pa location has a range but that is a much longer ride than Lakewood.

Regards, Art

Appreciate the info Art I will remain patient I am sure with such a big town there are probably many applications to go through.

I will definitely check out GSSC when I do purchase my firearm. Any suggestions on gun shops to buy a G19?

Appreciate the info Art I will remain patient I am sure with such a big town there are probably many applications to go through.

I will definitely check out GSSC when I do purchase my firearm. Any suggestions on gun shops to buy a G19?

you live in monmouth county where else would you go but steven at monmouth arms. lol

• Like 2

So far I've heard only positive things about my local PD so I hope you're right about a couple of weeks! Its crazy reading some of these stories on here about 6 and 8+ month wait times for FID and PP especially since its our right. I am looking forward to get shooting and spending my money at the range haha

Welcome to tbe forumms. I'm sure you'll find plenty of friendly and helpful people here.

While I and almost everyone on this forum supports and encourages firearm safety the NJ permit scheme would sicken the men who wrote the 2nd Amendment. Could you imagine what the publics reaction would be if the government had half the requirements to exercise the right to vote as they do to purchase a firearm?

• Like 1

Welcome to tbe forumms. I'm sure you'll find plenty of friendly and helpful people here.

While I and almost everyone on this forum supports and encourages firearm safety the NJ permit scheme would sicken the men who wrote the 2nd Amendment. Could you imagine what the publics reaction would be if the government had half the requirements to exercise the right to vote as they do to purchase a firearm?

Thanks! Honestly I couldn't imagine it really is crazy that they get away with this and I know we don't have it the worst (which shocks me) but it's still unbelievable the lengths they go to stop our right to own firearms

Thanks! Honestly I couldn't imagine it really is crazy that they get away with this and I know we don't have it the worst (which shocks me) but it's still unbelievable the lengths they go to stop our right to own firearms

Who is worse than ours in regards to permit to purchase handgun?  Maryland, California, New York?  I gotta say I think we probably take the cake.