vladtepes

Glock 22 9mm Conversion Checklist

I am considering switching out my 40 cal Glock 22 to 9mm, and then reloading 9mm.. 

What barrel do I want to get?

I see some guns with muzzle devices, is there any actual practical reason to have a muzzle device on a handgun?

If I do get an extended barrel, can I modify my safari land holster? or am I pretty much screwed?

Just brainstorming to understand if I think it is worth it or not.. thanks 

Here is what I would do to permanently convert  a Glock 22 to 9mm:

KKM 9mm conversion barrel

Apex 9mm Glock Failure resistant extractor

9mm Trigger housing with ejector

The comps are very effective, but I wouldn't get a comp on a G22 sized gun.

Blksheep has a bunch of comped guns and a few Roland Specials. I am sure he will be by soon with his take on the comps.

Storm Lake make a great product as well.  I know of a few people who run their conversion barrel without any problems.  They have the 5" plus barrel and two ports.  

Wheaton Arns makes similar products of match quality. Hear they are very well made on fit and finish.

And last Lone Wolf has yet a similar setup.

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

Oh, a block with a brake and an RMR. Eh, they have been around for a while, but it is still a block. 

I can understand why the tacticool crowd would like the pimp my glock, the recoil is soooooooo harsh out of a 34. 

Lets be honest, they are not running 9mm major loads out of them. 

I am not a Glock fanboy but I throw up a little seeing those. A Glock is beautiful in its own way. 

If you need a brake, get a proper race gun. 

No issues with the sight though. 

If you do want to play pimp my Glock, I believe Bobby Carver is the go to as far as race gun glocks. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Oh, a block with a brake and an RMR. Eh, they have been around for a while, but it is still a block. 

I can understand why the tacticool crowd would like the pimp my glock, the recoil is soooooooo harsh out of a 34. 

Lets be honest, they are not running 9mm major loads out of them. 

I am not a Glock fanboy but I throw up a little seeing those. A Glock is beautiful in its own way. 

If you need a brake, get a proper race gun. 

No issues with the sight though. 

If you do want to play pimp my Glock, I believe Bobby Carver is the go to as far as race gun glocks. 

Maks, did you read the article or just look at the picture? The guys that came up with this setup (Roland in particular) are from the US Army AWG and CAG. It was developed for a particular need, and it fits the bill. It also turns a negative - empty space above the mounted light that still needs to be concealed - into a positive by filling in that useless empty spot above the light with something useful, ie the comp, with no penalty on concealment.

This is what the some of the Army's most special guys carry in soft clothes as an "Offensive Pistol" - like what the Mk23 was supposed to be for the SEALs but in a lighter, more capable, and more accurate, concealable package that can be used with NODs.

The True Roland Special is done by Doug at ATEi and it is much more than a Glock with an RMR and comp on it.

Yeah, it's mostly full power Duty type ammo, usually 115gr 9mm HST or GDHP, but those comps really flatten out the muzzle rise and give these guys some sick split times with excellent accuracy.

It is also much more concealable than a race gun and from what I am told (I have no experience carrying a race gun) much more reliable in the conditions these are designed to be carried.

• Like 1

not necessarily a full out "race gun" is my interest.. 

but logic tells me if I am changing the barrel anyway.. and things like threaded barrels are available.. I should at least consider why or why not.. 

red dot has had my interest for a long time.. but holster selection concerns me.. 

• Like 1

Because sometimes you bought a .40 and now you want a 9mm. 

Sometimes you are issued a .40, so you buy your off duty guns in .40. Then your Dept switches to 9mm.

You can convert your .40 Glock pistol to 9mm for less than $250. A G19 used will cost more than that.

Sometimes you want 1 pistol that can shoot multiple calibers.

One thing I realized this weekend, if you just swap in a 9mm conversion barrrel and use a .40 ejector, the spent brass ejects to 6 o'clock and comes right back into your face. Very distracting. 

• Like 2

All excellent points, as usual.  

But, there is a flip side.

Guy buys a 40S&W and either hates the recoil OR hates the price of the 40S&W OR both so guy wishes he bought a 9mm.

My only concern is reliability and legality IF said firearm is used in a self-defense role.

Reliability is 100% if you do it right - Just a barrel and mags is good enough for  a range gun. If you are going to use it for SD/HD or any social purposes, the proper ejector, extractor assembly should be installed as well as the conversion barrel and mags.

As far as litigation - If your use of deadly force is legally, ethically, and morally correct and you are found to have used appropriate force in the defense of yourself or another you can use a frying pan, a kitchen knife, a curling iron, your car... hell, light them on fire. It doesn't matter.

From a criminal justice standpoint, when it is all over and your use of force is justified using a .40 pistol converted to 9mm is not going to be an issue. Civilly, you are getting sued no matter what.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Because sometimes you bought a .40 and now you want a 9mm. 

Sometimes you are issued a .40, so you buy your off duty guns in .40. Then your Dept switches to 9mm.

You can convert your .40 Glock pistol to 9mm for less than $250. A G19 used will cost more than that.

Sometimes you want 1 pistol that can shoot multiple calibers.

One thing I realized this weekend, if you just swap in a 9mm conversion barrrel and use a .40 ejector, the spent brass ejects to 6 o'clock and comes right back into your face. Very distracting. 

Ok, that was funny

6 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

All excellent points, as usual.  

But, there is a flip side.

Guy buys a 40S&W and either hates the recoil OR hates the price of the 40S&W OR both so guy wishes he bought a 9mm.

My only concern is reliability and legality IF said firearm is used in a self-defense role.

my situation is very simple.. I bought 40 because I used to get ammo for free.. and was sold on the inadequacy of 9mm.. recent information has surfaced that has proved that conception wrong... I purchased a Glock 43 in 9mm.. and since I have a renewed faith in 9mm.. I am standardizing rounds.. my "collection" is centered around minimizing the need for multiple rounds.. 

9mm gives me less muzzle flip.. 

more capacity.. 

standardized rounds..

So I am going to convert VS buying a new Glock.. as HE pointed out.. you can barely give away a 40 cal glock.. so converting would be much cheaper.. 

• Like 1

I get it, and I understand.   My only concerns would be reliability and legality.  If it was just a range gun then who cares.   But I know you and I know that you don't buy range toys.   Hell, you only own 2 handguns for God's sake so you buy only what you need.  

If it where me, I would just sell it and use the money towards a Glock 19.  This way it clears up any issues that may arrive with conversion kits.  Or, keep it as is and buy a 19 anyway.  

Just my 2 cents bro, I gots nothin but love for ya.

On 6/13/2017 at 5:36 AM, Ray Ray said:

I get it, and I understand.   My only concerns would be reliability and legality.  If it was just a range gun then who cares.   But I know you and I know that you don't buy range toys.   Hell, you only own 2 handguns for God's sake so you buy only what you need.  

If it where me, I would just sell it and use the money towards a Glock 19.  This way it clears up any issues that may arrive with conversion kits.  Or, keep it as is and buy a 19 anyway.  

Just my 2 cents bro, I gots nothin but love for ya.

what issues are you talking about? I literally have no idea what you are talking about? lol

in a self defense situation the shoot is justified or it is not.. the law (in PA at least) has absolutely nothing to do with the gun.. you could shoot someone with a musket if your life was at risk.. 

Here's the bottom line for me.  Which gun would be more reliable?

A Glock 22 converted to 9mm

Or

A Glock 19

Conversion kits to 22lr are fine, but FOR ME, if I want to shoot 40 then I will get a 40 gun.  If I wanted to shoot 9 then I will get a 9.

If you fully convert a Glock from .40 to 9mm - Conversion barrel (which will be beefier than a standard 9mm barrel and act like a "bull barrel". The thickness needed to fill the .40 barrels outside diameter hole in the muzzle, but only requiring a 9mm opening in the barrel itself) ejector, extractor assembly, they are equally reliable.

I would posit (although without any real data) the converted gun may even be slighty more accurate due to the presence of the aftermarket conversion barrel.

• Like 2

Ah...the Roland...

Just ran it in Unlimited at the GSSF match.  Without hiccup.  I have taken high round count classes with guys that Appendix carrying a Roland.  Its a great setup.  KKM has a Roland package but and 1/2 x 28 threaded barrel will do.

Here are some more places to check em out.. Google or Youtube

Modern Samurai Project 

Primary and Secondary

I have 2 of em and have put a couple thousand rounds through each with out issue.

On 6/4/2017 at 1:26 PM, vladtepes said:

I am considering switching out my 40 cal Glock 22 to 9mm, and then reloading 9mm.. 

What barrel do I want to get?

I see some guns with muzzle devices, is there any actual practical reason to have a muzzle device on a handgun?

If I do get an extended barrel, can I modify my safari land holster? or am I pretty much screwed?

Just brainstorming to understand if I think it is worth it or not.. thanks 

Grab a 9mm upper from other sights then no need to worry. Or go Suarez International, Unity Tactical or the other dozen companies making match slides.

I have a shit ton of combinations between S3F, KKM, Suarez, Unity Tactical and SilencerCo barrels and slides.  

On 6/4/2017 at 4:08 PM, vladtepes said:

not necessarily a full out "race gun" is my interest.. 

but logic tells me if I am changing the barrel anyway.. and things like threaded barrels are available.. I should at least consider why or why not.. 

red dot has had my interest for a long time.. but holster selection concerns me.. 

Safariland makes a 6354DO holster to fit RMRd guns.  Any Kydex maker will be able to do the RMR relief cut.  Raven Concealment actually makes an IWB Roland holster. $$$ but worth it.

53 minutes ago, blksheep said:

Ant,

I am a HUGE fan or RMRd guns.  Vortex is great too. IMHO and what I have personally seen in Handguns and AR type rifles, C-More is for Air Soft.  

We had a guy in the team with a C-More on an MP5. Nothing but trouble. We wasted more time zeroing that thing every range session - what a pain in the dick.

I was trying to get the team commander to make him remove it and make it unapproved equipment but he never did.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

We had a guy in the team with a C-More on an MP5. Nothing but trouble. We wasted more time zeroing that thing every range session - what a pain in the dick.

I was trying to get the team commander to make him remove it and make it unapproved equipment but he never did.

Now I guess to be fair I have seen the flickering issue in an RMR also.  But I have seen more C-Mores fail than anything else.  And no its not because there are more of them out there.  

5 hours ago, High Exposure said:

If you fully convert a Glock from .40 to 9mm - Conversion barrel (which will be beefier than a standard 9mm barrel and act like a "bull barrel". The thickness needed to fill the .40 barrels outside diameter hole in the muzzle, but only requiring a 9mm opening in the barrel itself) ejector, extractor assembly, they are equally reliable.

I would posit (although without any real data) the converted gun may even be slighty more accurate due to the presence of the aftermarket conversion barrel.

I get that, and might be true.  But why do all that when you could save yourself any drama by buying a G19?  A G19 that was born a 9mm.  With 9mm parts, slide, frame, and all the rest.

It just seems to risky to me.  But, to each his own.

1 hour ago, Ray Ray said:

I get that, and might be true.  But why do all that when you could save yourself any drama by buying a G19?  A G19 that was born a 9mm.  With 9mm parts, slide, frame, and all the rest.

It just seems to risky to me.  But, to each his own.

because its cheaper.. LOL