MichaelDiggs

Distance between red dot and a backup site

What would the the proper distance bbetween my front backup site and my red dot. Are the supposed to be as close as you can get them or you can spread them out?

I mean the iron site that's closest to my face. The rearward site. That's basically installed on the last picatinny groove already. Red Dot can go right in front of that real close or a few inches?

Thanks!

Edited by MichaelDiggs
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, MichaelDiggs said:

What would the the proper distance bbetween my front backup site and my red dot. Are the supposed to be as close as you can get them or you can spread them out?

I mean the iron site that's closest to my face. The rearward site. That's basically installed on the last picatinny groove already. Red Dot can go right in front of that real close or a few inches?

Thanks!

@High Exposure beat me with a stick. Should be above mag well .

( I know  I played with the eye relief also. It’s not a scope)

• Like 1

I'll be using 1/3 cowitness using that Defense Daniels mount. So if it is 1/3 I will see some of the rear site in front of the lens, right? Most of the time anyway, the rear site will be in the 'down' position. Went to an outdoor range today and saw guys popping targets at 100 yards and all of them had scopes. Most of them. Some guys had red dots with a 3x or 6x magnifier. I actually never looked through a scope! Can you really pop a target 100 yards away? %99 of the guys there had gun mounts and front monopods and bipods. I refuse to love my weapon until backup sites are zeroed and I'm %100 comfortable  with shooting it free hand. Force myself to learn and do it the hard way first. I get more and more comfortable and more accurate when I shoot. Can't wait to get my new buttstock that are a little longer vertically. Maybe I can eventually meet some people from here and make a day out of an outside range like Range 14 where I was today. I spent the entire hour just zeroing in on my backup sites. The guys next to me were like what's that dude doing. Have no choice. Can't do it in my backyard. :)

Can you hit targets 100 yards away without a scope? Sure can. A few weeks ago I was shooting soda cans at 100 yards at Range 14 with my AR, and my red dot has no magnifier. They're not the easiest to see on a cloudy day, but it's certainly doable.

6 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Repeated rapid hits on 1/4 size IPSC targets at 300 yards with a red dot sight is easily attainable with a 50/200 yard zero and a little bit of knowledge.

Can you give him the pictogram that ‘splains it. 

Not the semi colon one. Ffs

832C4AC7-090E-4C2E-B9C7-20A3FCB422F5.jpeg

Screw it, I found it

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MichaelDiggs said:

I'll be using 1/3 cowitness using that Defense Daniels mount. So if it is 1/3 I will see some of the rear site in front of the lens, right? Most of the time anyway, the rear site will be in the 'down' position. Went to an outdoor range today and saw guys popping targets at 100 yards and all of them had scopes. Most of them. Some guys had red dots with a 3x or 6x magnifier. I actually never looked through a scope! Can you really pop a target 100 yards away? %99 of the guys there had gun mounts and front monopods and bipods. I refuse to love my weapon until backup sites are zeroed and I'm %100 comfortable  with shooting it free hand. Force myself to learn and do it the hard way first. I get more and more comfortable and more accurate when I shoot. Can't wait to get my new buttstock that are a little longer vertically. Maybe I can eventually meet some people from here and make a day out of an outside range like Range 14 where I was today. I spent the entire hour just zeroing in on my backup sites. The guys next to me were like what's that dude doing. Have no choice. Can't do it in my backyard. :)

Screw the guys next you! Jus sayen 

• Like 2

RDS belongs above the magwell, over the center of balance of the rifle.

This should give you a starting position... put the front BUIS (if not an A2 post) as far forward as possible. For the rear, as far back as possible. That gives you the greatest sight radius possible. Now, if the BUIS interferes when folded (charging handle, mainly), you may have to move it slightly forward.

I started my Aimpoint PRO right above the magazine well. Got an offset spacer (using all Aimpoint mounts), which put it over the Delta ring. Reason... room for a magnifier. Balance isn’t too different, nor is view... so was an ok change. With the BUIS folded (MBUS Pro), no issue with the exception of flipping the rear up with magnifier in line (LaRue mount, so flips to side of comes off completely; no zero to worry about, so no big deal pulling it off... as it always lines back up correctly).

Set the gun up, then toy with it before shooting. See if there are any issues with using both the red dot and the BUIS. Make adjustments before you start zeroing it (might have to make adjustments after running it).

1 hour ago, Screwball said:

This should give you a starting position... put the front BUIS (if not an A2 post) as far forward as possible. For the rear, as far back as possible. That gives you the greatest sight radius possible. Now, if the BUIS interferes when folded (charging handle, mainly), you may have to move it slightly forward.

I started my Aimpoint PRO right above the magazine well. Got an offset spacer (using all Aimpoint mounts), which put it over the Delta ring. Reason... room for a magnifier. Balance isn’t too different, nor is view... so was an ok change. With the BUIS folded (MBUS Pro), no issue with the exception of flipping the rear up with magnifier in line (LaRue mount, so flips to side of comes off completely; no zero to worry about, so no big deal pulling it off... as it always lines back up correctly).

Set the gun up, then toy with it before shooting. See if there are any issues with using both the red dot and the BUIS. Make adjustments before you start zeroing it (might have to make adjustments after running it).

Thanks for the suggestions. I will definately toy with it before I settle everything in. Not sure I even want a monopod/bipod on it. JUst adding more money and weight. Going to give it a good cleaning tomorrow. Got some really good bore snakes that shines it up with just one or two pulls. I don't like using rods or patches at all. Picked up that AR cleaning tool, which will help me clean the bolt and associated pieces.

DSC_0007.JPG

I have mine set up to as near absolute cowitness I possibly can, so that no matter what my body alignment is the same between RDS and BUIS.

And for those that notice, there's a reason my BUIS are where they are.  It has to do with my eyes and correction with glasses.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sota said:

DSC_0007.JPG

I have mine set up to as near absolute cowitness I possibly can, so that no matter what my body alignment is the same between RDS and BUIS.

And for those that notice, there's a reason my BUIS are where they are.  It has to do with my eyes and correction with glasses.

I was gonna ask.

sooo does near sighted mean you can see near? And far sighted mean you can see far? I get sooo confused.

Obviously blind means you can’t see fer shit! Duh

astigmatism.. wtf is that?

think either in literal terms, or opposites.

nearsighted means you can only see near things clearly, or you can't see far away things.

farsighted means you can only see far things clearly, or you can't see near things.

glasses tend to screw you in the opposite direction though.  so since i'm nearsighted with my glasses on I have trouble seeing things close up, and as you get older it gets worse to the point where i'm at the bifocal stage (fuck progressives. they suck balls.)

when I first tried to set up my rifles, I put the rear BUIS almost over the charging handle.  doing so I realized even with the small aperture the rear sight would totally "disappear" because of it blurring out.  after doing some experiments and measuring various things, I learned if I put the rear BUIS at roughly the same distance as the rear sight on a pistol held at full extension, I could see both sights well enough to be useful.  there's actually some precedent for doing that if you remember the Caracal Quick Sight system.

Caracal_Enhanced_F_Standard_and_Quick_Si

finally, if my red dot goes down I can see straight through it, and if the glass is damaged I can just bash it out quickly with a stick or something.

bottom line is, with them there they're useful, they work for me, and I can hit shit.

• Like 1

I had my old Bushnell First Strike red dot back up against my Magpul BUIS rear sight, which was as far back as it would go. I will try putting my new Burris FastFire III/AR-F3 over the ejection port and see if it makes a difference as suggested.