gleninjersey

FML....SCHOOL ME ON HOT WATER HEATERS / INSTANT HOT WATER

We stopped dealing with AO Smith due to their warranty process...

While the likelihood of having a problem is low, rather have an easier way of getting it fixed than jumping through hoops while the heater is down.
I stopped using AO Smith because of the wacky things with my water heater and because they cater to Ferguson. As a matter of fact I think they are owned by the same company Woolsley or something like that. They also own build.com, faucet.com, and I think lighting.com.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If I were to buy a Bradford White water heater, which one would you recommend.  Don't plan on staying in house for too much longer.  Would want to replace with something decent.

Also, where do I buy?  Home Depot or Lowes and then have plumber install or buy direct through plumbing company?

RG250T6N 50 gallon 40,000BTU.

You should already have 4" Flue Pipe being your existing water heater is 50 gallon.

Model assumes you have extra space and standard height water heater now. New water heaters are 2" wider on average than old ones.

• Like 1

Note to future self, all current and future home owners.  Keep a section of those near water heater at all times that is long enough to reach sump pump, basement drain / sink, etc.  This will ensure that when your water heater starts leaking, in January, after historic cold spell, you aren't trying to use garden hose from outside that is filled with ice to drain to water heater.  Leaving you to resort to emptying by bucket.  

Your welcome.

• Like 2

If I were to buy a Bradford White water heater, which one would you recommend.  Don't plan on staying in house for too much longer.  Would want to replace with something decent.
Also, where do I buy?  Home Depot or Lowes and then have plumber install or buy direct through plumbing company?

Bradford White, is only sold at supply houses. They don't do big box stores. I will get you one at my cost if you want one. You just have to come to Randolph to get it. That's where my supply house is located.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Not same as standard. Same as your pricing. Around $3,000 not including electric and permits. That is for Navien which is also not increasing gas pipe size. Noritz are closer to $4,500. Yearly maintenance is a must on tankless. However it is easy if installed correctly. I have yet to replace one other than Bosch and because customer wanted to upgrade what builder put in. Speaking of I have a hardly used Noritz for $400.

I use Navian. I like the Bosch boilers, but not a fan of their tankless heaters. I used to install Ranai years ago, don't like them either... NTI isn't so bad if you ever get the chance to use one. They're decent.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DeerSlayer said:

I use Navian. I like the Bosch boilers, but not a fan of their tankless heaters. I used to install Ranai years ago, don't like them either... NTI isn't so bad if you ever get the chance to use one. They're decent.

Bosch tankless work good enough and I like how they still use a pilot but they tend to rust out quicker. You don’t get 10 years out of one. Pilotless one’s you need to drop electric to. 

• Like 1

Bosch Tankless are the only tankless we have replaced due to failure. Plus they are only large enough for trailers and small homes. We have never used NTI. Navian I've had zero issues with and none replaced yet. Noritz has been around a lot longer and we have yet to replace one of theirs either. AO Smith and Bradford White were late to the party with tankless water heaters. We have installed AO Smith without issue. Haven't installed Bradford White yet.

I've also installed a decent number of Steibel Electric Tankless Water Heaters and have had zero issues with any of them. All have been installed in houses with solar systems. Most were in retirement communities where the owner was worried about having a traditional tank and being gone for the winter.

Bradford White is only sold in plumbing supply stores. Everything sold in the box stores is garbage. Even items with the same model name are not the same. Finally Kohler changed their box store line to Classic. No offense but the above link to Rheem water heaters is a waste of time. They are the biggest POS you can get and the price is more expensive than Bradford White.

Bosch tankless work good enough and I like how they still use a pilot but they tend to rust out quicker. You don’t get 10 years out of one. Pilotless one’s you need to drop electric to. 
Bosch is for mobile homes and small houses. They have nowhere near the output of the full size house models. The full size models need electric for vent so standing pilot would be a waste. I do concur about Bosch rusting out which should not happen with a properly maintained tankless water heater.

I should say for those that have gas hot water baseboard heat a separate tankless water heater is a waste. Use a Boiler Mate. or a wall hung tankless Combi Unit (Boiler and Water Heater). Navian has the best Combi Unit I am aware of. However the traditional boiler manufacturers are now coming out with their own Wall Hung Combi Units.

Bradford White, is only sold at supply houses. They don't do big box stores. I will get you one at my cost if you want one. You just have to come to Randolph to get it. That's where my supply house is located.

Not sure how far Bridgewater is from Randolph, but if Jamesburg is closer I stock Bradford White at my shop. They are both on the other side of the Raritan and for me that is North Jersey. If he was South of the Raritan we could install as well.

Thanks for all the advice, information and offers to help.  My wife called PSEG yesterday.  They could be out today to install an AO Smith...for about $2300.  Told them no thank you.

Have a company that will install a Bradford White coming tomorrow to give estimate.  They can install same day if I like quote.  They said ballpark install is around $1500 which is more in line with what was quoted in thread.

Thanks for offers to buy at costs at suppliers but the place coming tomorrow refused to install a WH that home owner purchased.  It's their policy.

If it were summer and I had a few days I would have taken up offer to buy from one of your supplier houses and tried to install myself.  But It's winter, Don't have time.  And wife and our girls would like hot water sooner rather than later.  I Don't blame them.  I washed my hair yesterday and the cold water numbed my scalp it was so cold!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

I washed my hair yesterday and the cold water numbed my scalp it was so cold!

HA!  Back in the day when we carried the horse on our back up hill just to get to school, we had to wash our hair right there in the snow in the school yard.  

But glad everything worked out for you!

• Like 1

HA!  Back in the day when we carried the horse on our back up hill just to get to school, we had to wash our hair right there in the snow in the school yard.  
But glad everything worked out for you!
Up hill both ways.

Installed and have hot water again.  Went with the recommendation of several here and purchased Brandford White.  A Bradford White RG2PV50T6N 50 Gallon, Power Vent Water Heater, Natural Gas (link below) to be exact.  Just, and I mean JUST, south of $2300.  In line with estimates given here so I feel I was given fair price.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bradford-White-RG2PV50T6N-50-Gallon-40000-BTU-Defender-Safety-System-TTW1-Power-Vent-Energy-Saver-Residential-Water-Heater-Nat-Gas?gclid=Cj0KCQiAs9zSBRC5ARIsAFMtUXFZKUpzvq4e9HMWZKkBx9FgDGVv7PdXSWz89Y-sAP0IMC7ePi94oz4aAtumEALw_wcB

• Like 2

On 1/11/2018 at 7:08 PM, gleninjersey said:

Installed and have hot water again.  Went with the recommendation of several here and purchased Brandford White.  A Bradford White RG2PV50T6N 50 Gallon, Power Vent Water Heater, Natural Gas (link below) to be exact.  Just, and I mean JUST, south of $2300.  In line with estimates given here so I feel I was given fair price.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bradford-White-RG2PV50T6N-50-Gallon-40000-BTU-Defender-Safety-System-TTW1-Power-Vent-Energy-Saver-Residential-Water-Heater-Nat-Gas?gclid=Cj0KCQiAs9zSBRC5ARIsAFMtUXFZKUpzvq4e9HMWZKkBx9FgDGVv7PdXSWz89Y-sAP0IMC7ePi94oz4aAtumEALw_wcB

I’m interested in your gas bill now, obviously summer would be more visual.

Very fair for a powervent. About $200 less than the average price in my service area. And Bradford is the way to go.

• Like 1