gleninjersey

Patriots Book Series & Other Prepping Literature

6 posts in this topic

There was another thread that briefly discussed fictional books about TEOTWAWKI (The End Of The World As We Know It) and how prepping tied in to the story.

A few years ago I read two or three of The Patriot series books by James Wesley Rawles.  The series are fictional stories of societal collapse and a group of people who survive it.  I believe each book is independent and they don't need to be read in any particular order.

While written as novels the series is almost a "how to". It goes into great depths and details (some times boringly so) on why certain objects (vehicles, firearms, radios  etc) where selected and how to build / construct things.

The writing and story lines aren't going to win literature awards but the knowledge in the books could be useful.  Especially to those interested in the subject of prepping.  And since the information is in paperbook format it can be kept indefinitely.  No worrying about if "the grid" goes down and there is no power.  You can read them and put them away for years.  Hopefully never having to really use any of the knowledge contained in them.  But just in case, they are always there 

1 hour ago, gleninjersey said:

While written as novels the series is almost a "how to". It goes into great depths and details (some times boringly so) on why certain objects (vehicles, firearms, radios  etc) where selected and how to build / construct things.

I found the section on ham radio to be unbearable.

Another series I really liked was the "One Second After" books written by William Forstchen. Much better writting than the Patriot series.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, vjf915 said:

One Second After is a good book.  Not really about prepping, but does portray a community during a societal collapse.  It's a three book series.  The second book is also good.  The third, not so much.

Agreed the 3rd book was not as good, but I was in it to finish it. 

Another non-electronic prepping source I enjoyed was the quarterly magazine "The New Pioneer".  It focused on modern, small scale off grid living with a more farming, gardening or country living slant.  It also almost always featured a story of a family that was living  or making a transition to a simpler life style.  Need to subscribe again.

There are other similar magazines.  One was American Pioneer which was definetly more geared towards hardcore (IMHO) prepping or surviving SHTF scenarios.  

Can keep the magazines stored away similar to the books.  Hoping you never need to use them.  Though I do pull them out every now and then just to read or skim through.  Some of the family and transitioning to simpler lifestyle stories are enjoyable and informative.

While not "literature" I enjoy watching "Off Grid Living" on DIY Channel.  Similar to the family stories in "The New Pioneer" the show features individuals or families building an off grid home.  Some are very small and simple homes, think nice mud hut.   Others are larger, nicer homes with all the amenities via off grid sources (solar, natural wells, etc).  The show gets me dreamimg of an off grid retirement home for the future or an off grid second home or hunting/ get away home if I ever hit the lottery!