GunsnFreedom

The Most Psychopathic States

I found this little gem.  I can't say I am shocked to see the top three, or even five.  Although I am surprised to see Maine in sixth.
https://qz.com/1307670/us-states-with-the-most-psychopaths/

I live in NJ. I thought it would be one or two. Just reinforces the fact that I have to get the hell out of here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murphy also included the District of Columbia in his research, and found it had a psychopathy level far higher than any other state. But this finding is an outlier, as Murphy notes, as it’s an entirely urban area and cannot be fairly compared with larger, more geographically diverse, US states. That said, as Murphy notes, “The presence of psychopaths in District of Columbia is consistent with the conjecture found in Murphy (2016) that psychopaths are likely to be effective in the political sphere.”

Well, yeah.

A lot of mass killers and politicians are psychopaths, and they mostly do harmful things.

But not all people who look at things coldly and unemotionally are bad. I would hope that if I need a surgeon, it's not going to be one who transforms into a sobbing, hysterical quivering mess if something nasty is found. I'd hope for a surgeon who calmly identifies and fixes my problem.

It's been a while since I read this book, but it's pretty good.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/the-neuroscientist-who-discovered-he-was-a-psychopath-180947814/

jacket-cover-The_Psychopath_Inside-198x300.jpg

That list makes little sense. If Maine is so high NH and VT should be right there with it. A lot of odd killings and disappearances in those states equals a couple really proficient psychopaths or a bunch of them.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

This is such an arbitrary list. At no point does it actually base it's rankings on numbers of psychopaths. It's based on: extroversion, agreeableness, conscientiousness, neuroticism, and openness to experience.

That is absolutely idiotic.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Greenday said:

This is such an arbitrary list. At no point does it actually base it's rankings on numbers of psychopaths. It's based on: extroversion, agreeableness, conscientiousness, neuroticism, and openness to experience.

That is absolutely idiotic.

"Earlier research shows that psychopathy is composed of disinhibition, boldness, and meanness, and a forthcoming paper shows that these characteristics can be translated into the big five traits: “Boldness corresponds to low neuroticism and high extraversion, meanness corresponds to low agreeableness, and disinhibition corresponds to low conscientiousness,” explains Murphy. This finding allowed the researcher to translate analysis of personality in US states to a score for psychopathy."

What is arbitrary about these comparisons to psychopathic behavioral characteristics?

28 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

"Earlier research shows that psychopathy is composed of disinhibition, boldness, and meanness, and a forthcoming paper shows that these characteristics can be translated into the big five traits: “Boldness corresponds to low neuroticism and high extraversion, meanness corresponds to low agreeableness, and disinhibition corresponds to low conscientiousness,” explains Murphy. This finding allowed the researcher to translate analysis of personality in US states to a score for psychopathy."

What is arbitrary about these comparisons to psychopathic behavioral characteristics?

Because it also just describes a regular asshole?

4 hours ago, Bob2222 said:

Well, yeah.

A lot of mass killers and politicians are psychopaths, and they mostly do harmful things.

But not all people who look at things coldly and unemotionally are bad. I would hope that if I need a surgeon, it's not going to be one who transforms into a sobbing, hysterical quivering mess if something nasty is found. I'd hope for a surgeon who calmly identifies and fixes my problem.

It's been a while since I read this book, but it's pretty good.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/the-neuroscientist-who-discovered-he-was-a-psychopath-180947814/

jacket-cover-The_Psychopath_Inside-198x300.jpg

I agree with your assessment.

And it's actually not that uncommon a personality trait. People hear "psychopath" and they think serial killer, but that's just the most extreme, unusual manifestation of the condition. I heard a very interesting presentation on this once --- an expert said that about 1 out of 100 people met the criteria. That's not super-common, but it's not exactly rare either, is it? You'll find them in all occupations and walks of life... and most of them aren't hiding any buried bodies, but they just won't feel empathy the way the other 99 out of a 100 might. Chances are, we've all met at least one psychopath over the course of our lives.

I have not read that book, but I'm going to add it to my list! I happen to like my reading on the dark side. ;)

12 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

Because while those traits may correlate, the real question is at what rate and how reliably.. The north east is hostile. It doesn't mean it is filled with psychopaths. 

Also psychopathy isn't a pass fail thing. They tend to evaluate it with an inventory, and you can score high or low. You can have some features that lead to a higher score and have them fairly intensely while lacking others. You can also have a little bit of them all and not qualify either. Pretty much all children, and most all teenagers exhibit a number of them, and it is considered normal development process, so they don't like applying the term psychopath to minors, even if it fits. 

21 hours ago, raz-0 said:

Because while those traits may correlate, the real question is at what rate and how reliably.. The north east is hostile. It doesn't mean it is filled with psychopaths. 

Also psychopathy isn't a pass fail thing. They tend to evaluate it with an inventory, and you can score high or low. You can have some features that lead to a higher score and have them fairly intensely while lacking others. You can also have a little bit of them all and not qualify either. Pretty much all children, and most all teenagers exhibit a number of them, and it is considered normal development process, so they don't like applying the term psychopath to minors, even if it fits. 

The research provided a "score" for psychopathy, it didn't state these people were actually psychopaths. I think any reasonable person would conclude that it takes a real mental health assessment to determine if someone is truly a psychopath. A more accurate analysis of the study would be that people scoring high have psychopathic tendencies. 

On 6/18/2018 at 10:14 PM, Greenday said:

Because it also just describes a regular asshole?

But you said it was arbitrary... it is not. 

A psychopath really isn't much more than an extreme asshole, and keep in mind, they scored each of these attributes/characteristics separately and complied a summutive score.