Sign in to follow this  
Yotafan

How many rounds do you shoot?

When you go to the range how many rounds do you think you actually shoot? Also what type of firearm?

I shoot my Glock22 and average atleast 2 boxes upto 4 boxes. I went to the range with my Dad good friday at ShoreShot and we both shot 2 boxes of ammo. The first time i went to the range with my buddy after buying my gun we shot 4 boxes of ammo a piece. The only reason i stopped was because i knew i was paying 20+ a box for range ammo.

It depends. With the handguns, I go through more than the rifles.

I tend to only load 5 rounds at a time, forcing me to slow down a litte. It's amazing how fast you can shoot off a 15 round mag.

If I really want to send myself home early, I bring the shotgun. 25 rounds or so and my shoulder has had enough!

Usually twice a week, 250 rounds per trip. more in the warmer months when it makes it more comfortable to use our outdoor ranges. The the round count tends to creep up. Matches raise it another hundred or so.

Thankfully I reload all of it.

how can you guys afford to shoot 500 rounds at a time these days? Or do you reload? (or do you have a "source"?)

My buddy and I(mostly him) went through 400 rounds in about a half hour. At that point I decided it was time to stop as the slide started changing colors. (Glock 9mm)

Get a .22 and it's not that expensive.

I brought my girlfriend for the first time last week and she and I went through about 350 rounds. It's roughly 20 bucks for a brick of 400... when you can find it.

I usually visit the range 2-3 times a month and alternate between shooting trap and handguns/rifles. We (the wife and I) usually shoot 500-600 rounds for trap and on alternate trips I will bring 200-300 rounds for the pistols and 200-300 rounds of rimfire. I only reload for the shotguns, but i keep all my brass.

I'm stuck often as the RO at our club's indoor range. I see way too many come in with one or two hundred rounds loading up large capacity magazines and just firing as quickly as possible. Same thing over and over again. They learn nothing and gain nothing. Unless you develop a routine of training, you can fire a thousand rounds a sitting and still know nothing about firearms. round count means zero. There are many publications that detail a training regiment that will allow you to gain competence with your forearms.

besides my test loads, i will shoot about 200-400 rounds of 9mm & about 100 - 200 of 45 acp if time permits. :D

reloading gave me the luxury of shooting more often & more rounds. it is highly recommended.....especially in these times.

i used to go to wally world in pa and buy 10-20 boxes of 100 round WWB for 9mm and 45 acp. even with their prices...it was a very costly trip :| :evil:

On a typical range visit I'll shoot maybe 10 clips of 8 shots in my M1 Garand, then perhaps 6 15 round magazines in 2 223 rifles, which brings me up to (8*10) + (2 * 6 * 15) = 260 at the rifle range. Then, move over to the pistol range, and I usually shoot one 100 round box of 9mm, bringing me to 360. Then, if we're feeling good and it's not too late and there's nothing going on at home, we'll plink with the 22's for a while, so thats 360 rounds plus anywhere from 50 to many hundred 22's....

I shot less M1 this past weekend because even after the first shot I could feel my shoulder aching, so I probably only shot 40 30-06 rounds, and I stuck with the surplus/CMP/Lake City rounds instead of using our nicer, slightly lower load reloads.

-melgamatic

Ive never really shot a rifle so much that my shoulder hurts, when its hot in the summer I shoot skeet without my shirt on, if I shoulder too quick ill fold a little bit of skin over on my shoulder and leave red blood lines (Like 2") on my shoulder...thats about it. SO 12 gauge HUNTING loads will make me soar a little bit, but never has a rifle whooped me yet. Then again...im yet to pop my 50 cal. cherry : D :lol:

Shooting the AR50 is less damaging on my shoulder than my 700P.

2008_cerf_029.jpg

The compensation is unusually effective and the weight and spring loaded stock reduce the recoil to a very manageable level. However if you are unlucky enough to stand on the side, the concussion will known you on you ass if caught unaware.

Dutch, the shooter pictured is a Netherlands Special Forces member and is in residence over at the Sig academy. He, along with the staff attend the charity match held at our club and another local club over a two day period. Sig is even nice enough to donate a P226 to raffle off for the charity. Plus they bring a lot of toys for everyone playtime.

Dutch was an extremely nice guy. His country sent him to SIG for training for a year. He got an apartment at the beach which is only a few miles from the academy.

He had a somewhat Austrian accent. You kind of wanted to say "I'll be back" in a Schwarzenegger tone but thought better of it.

2008_cerf_p_05.jpg

The guy in the middle is Congressman Jeb Bradley. He comes to every military function for support. No speech's, just hangs out. He even meets many of the returning and departing aircraft coming to and from the middle east when they land in NH.

2008_cerf_002.jpg