axeman_g

Considering opening a gun store

I don't blame the stores for profiteering. It's business, and you take advantage of any opportunity to bring up the margins. Shooting is a complicated sport that requires education. Part of that education should be the ability to learn when you're being taken advantage of, and to react accordingly.

The above statement covers both sides of the story the gun shops as well as the shooter.

I don't think any Wal-Mart, K-mart or Sports Authority sells guns or ammo in NJ anymore, many years ago K-mart used to be good for reasonably priced ammo.

The one in Freehold doesn't sell any firearm stuff.

None of the NJ WM stores ever sold ammo or guns as far as I know. Even the ones up here stopped selling firearms for the most part. It wasn't worth the paperwork. They do a great deal of ammo sales when they can get it. the selection is not anywhere near what you will find in a decent gun shop. Mostly Winchester bulk packs or Blazer and Blazer brass. Dick's has a much wider selection but priced higher.

As did Sears

If you remember that far back you probably remember watching TV in black and white.....

Those pictures are probably from months ago. I've seen photos of shops up here that do not resemble the true status. Another store was the old Service Merchandise that had great prices and decent selection. Older guys probably remember Edleman's two stores in Wayne area that is now Kimber firearms.

Look at that. Ammo, right there on the shelves, where anybody could browse through it and buy some. What are they thinking? Don't they know that bullets are dangerous, and should only be doled out from behind the counter, after the proper identification has been presented and a DNA sample has been taken and sent to the proper authorities to be confirmed. I bet they don't even add your name to a secret list of potential "Domestic Terrorists" when you buy a brick of .22 to plink cans in the yard. Anarchist bastards. :D;)

Nice place. I must visit America someday. I'm pretty sure I'll like it there.

Ken

A friend of mine is an avid hunter and owns a horse farm in the county. 45 acres with nothing around him, not in a No Discharge area. He goes onto his field and patterns his shotguns and sights his rifles before hunting season, and he and the kids plink cans with a .22. Perfectly legal for you to shoot your guns on your land as long as all other rules are obeyed. I don't know if the law applies to handguns.

Ken

I don't know if there's a minimum property size, proximity to other homes, or some other local zoning issue. It would probably best to check with your municipality for the details.

Ken

I was doing a bit of searching, and came up with this... the firearms discharge ordinance for West Amwell Township. It may be similar to other rural municipalities, but I don't know.

http://www.westamwelltwp.org/Ordinance/ORDINANCE%202-2007.htm

Ken

edit to add:

West Windsor: http://westwindsorpolice.com/firearm_discharge.htm

I was doing a bit of searching, and came up with this... the firearms discharge ordinance for West Amwell Township. It may be similar to other rural municipalities, but I don't know.

http://www.westamwelltwp.org/Ordinance/ORDINANCE%202-2007.htm

Ken

edit to add:

West Windsor: http://westwindsorpolice.com/firearm_discharge.htm

West windsor rules made for Citizens Rifle and Revolver club.

opening a gun shop would best be for a retiree.........a retiree has income and can survive lean period of time after starting a business. or, use wife during the day, if she does not work. Family way best. No payroll (to speak of)

and the money stays in the cash register

My wife had a great idea once: put a business where women like to hang out, like a nail salon or shoe store, next to the gun shop. That way the guy can go to the range and hang out while is wife is hanging out next door. It makes it a lot easier to spend an afternoon at the range if you know you won't get crap for it when you get home.

Then, if your wife buys 10 pairs of shoes, you can justify that new 1911.

Very bad idea, at least in my book.

Reason why: my wife would become friends with the owner of the range and ask how much I spent that day on supply's and the range. If the owner of the range tells her $150.00 then she would spend $75.00 at the nail salon and another $75.00 on new shoes. That crap could get awfully expensive for me every week.

I'll stick to letting my wife hit the nail salon alone and travel to the next county for target practice.

( Many years ago (read 'before Rosie O'Donnell) K-mart sold guns, even in NJ ) -

still have my remington 788 in .308 bought at woolworths in menlo park for $70.00 new in box w/4x scope - surplus carcanos for $9.99 at two guys in east brunswick - times have sure changed -