axeman_g

Considering opening a gun store

As I look for a new business venture, I am considering opening a new gun store in the Cherry Hill and surrounding area. I am going to start looking into my local zoning laws for a suitable locations and regulations.

Anyone here have some useful info for the state level?

We can alway use an additional instructor up here.....

Opening up a gun shop requires time and funding. The cost of stock is not insignificant. Then you are up against internet sales. Just getting stock today such as ammo is difficult. Up here many small local dealers get their stock from the Wal-Marts who sell it below what they get it for from their suppliers.

Then you have the cost of your FFL and insurance.

I've seem some get into it and going through the hoops to get a FFL thinking it was a way for them to obtain firearms cheaper than on the open market only to find the saving aren't worth the efforts required. So do your homework and good luck. I have several friend who do run small operations. All have other businesses and devoted a small section of that location to the gun shop which held down costs greatly. Seems that having another source of income was the secret.

My wife had a great idea once: put a business where women like to hang out, like a nail salon or shoe store, next to the gun shop. That way the guy can go to the range and hang out while is wife is hanging out next door. It makes it a lot easier to spend an afternoon at the range if you know you won't get crap for it when you get home.

Then, if your wife buys 10 pairs of shoes, you can justify that new 1911.

Thanks for the hints and thoughts. I will admit to a small case of "toy box" mentality in regards to opening a store, but my desire to give this a shot stems from my frustration over the current state of gun mongers here in NJ and Philly. As a whole, they leave much to be desired. There are a few pearls, no gems, here and there, and I am not fooling myself by thinking that the STATE is not mostly responsible for that rotting condition. Here is my current business philosophy, tell me what you all think.

If gunnies and shop owners are in this embattled state together in NJ, why is there not a shop that really caters to the shooters. Not just peddling firearms, hell anyone can do that. I am talking about good products (I am sick of seeing Taurus and Hipoints everywhere), good prices and GREAT customer service in a clean, open, congenial and safe atmosphere. A place where the customer is not just a customer, definitely not $$$$, but an integral part of the concession team, a cog in helping NJ 2A advocates and supporters push forth their agenda.

I will admit a few things and share some store thoughts with you. I am not a black rifle guy, but there will be a selection. I like 1911s, but there will not be 20 of them and one XD.... I will try to carry a varied selection. Transfers will be approx $35-$40. I will work a customer available computer with you to find whatever you need. I will show you costs on ordered product and tell you what my markup will be. There will be more gun books then cheap holsters, more ammo then scopes. I will try to carry high end shotguns along with some cheap military surplus goods. There will be some chairs and mags to sit and wait out NICS calls.

I have been working on a business plan, need to start looking into local zoning regs, manufacturers/distributor rules and regs as well as get in front of the local pd.

Funding will be tight, but I hope to back this business with my other. We shall see... I think it is a pipe dream right now, but maybe it will work out. My biggest worry is local zoning.

If I may make one suggestion, there is a market in NJ that is grossly overlooked. Women Set up your shop to bring them in. When my wife and I go gun shopping it is all about how she is treated. If the salesman talks to me to relay info to her or assumes she is not familiar because she is a woman, we leave. I have heard quite a few women say they will not shop in a store because they feel intimidated or have been talked down to.

Do not worry about scaring guys away, it is a gun shop and they will come.

also check with your local police dept. to see requirements for a gun store. steel doors, safe for hand guns. alarm system, etc, etc, etc. You have to get township approval before opening a gun store, not to mention licenses from Feds and State..........Lot of work

check with your local police dept. to see requirements for a gun store

You will want to check with the town's Building Dept. to inquire if they have any ordinances covering gun stores and zoning restrictions. Our town did not have any on the books. The state is another matter.

Not to rain on your parade but I think it's a bad idea. I've been immersed in this hobby for the last 35 years. I hate to tell you how many gun shops in that time period I've seen come and go.

As a part time business maybe you'll have a chance. Full time IMHO and you'll fail.

NJ is probably the worst State to open a full time gun shop. With the Democrats in control it's not going to get any easier. Don't forget one day all pistol's will have to have "SmartGun" technology. At any time new and worse gun legislation could be passed at any time. Soon they will shove the one gun a month law through. Way too many restrictions here and things are only going to get worse for us locally and Federally in the very near future.

As an educated gun buyer who spends at least 5k a year on my hobby I never buy anything from gun shops. All firearms are purchased either FTF of from a "kitchen table" dealer for a $25.00 transfer. I buy from FFL's from out of state so I don't pay sales tax. All my reloading and ammo supplies come either form Saloman's , gun shows or online as well as my cleaning supplies and accessories.

They only dealers I know of who make any money are the part time guys. If you decide to take the plunge I wish you luck. I have had the very same thought many times as friends and family have always asked why I just don't go into the business myself with all the time and energy I have put into this hobby. In the end common sense sadly rules out the possibility.

No offense to Mauser88 but I disagree. If everyone thought like that then noone would open a business in any field. If you have the capital and the drive then go for it. I wish you all the luck. It seems you've already started the process, so let us know here how its going. And don't forget to tell us when you open. You've already done a good job in marketing as you've mentioned it on this site. We've got over 100 members already, so that's 100 more possible customers for you. Once again good luck.

You have two kinds of gun owners...

Us. and the rest.

We, are educated about prices, firearms and will ask the community before commiting major bucks.

The Rest.... are those that walk into a gunstore with a magazine, pay MSRP or more, on the SOLE advice of the salesperson, without knowing their reputation.

You have people who value time, and you have those that just want the lowest price possible. Often times, if you want the lowest price possible, you will order from an FFL, and ship it here.

Gun stores serve their purpose.

You have two kinds of gun owners...

Us. and the rest.

We, are educated about prices, firearms and will ask the community before commiting major bucks.

The Rest.... are those that walk into a gunstore with a magazine, pay MSRP or more, on the SOLE advice of the salesperson, without knowing their reputation.

You have people who value time, and you have those that just want the lowest price possible. Often times, if you want the lowest price possible, you will order from an FFL, and ship it here.

Gun stores serve their purpose.

You have a point. Perhaps I just stumbled upon a good guy or what, but my first pistol, an XD NIB was purchased this Feb from a gun store. I (at the time) did not know about gunbroker, etc or FFL. I paid $495. I would challenge anyone to find another for that, in this market, at this time. Granted, the owner said he ordered it for a LEO who decided he wanted a xd45 after (my) xd came in, so it may have been 'priced to move', but it seemed dang good to me, especially after looking at gunbroker since (or other gunstores even). Has the owner of that gun store made a customer for life despite his very very very small inventory and very very inconvenient hours? You can bet that's a yes. I have to ask him how much for an FFL too, i would love to send more business his way. He was more than nice to a NOOB.

Another point not often mentioned is to consider searching on the internet auction sites for the guns you are looking for in state if possible thus eliminating cost for shipping and ffl. I'd rather pay $20-40 more for an instate gun rather than incur the cost of shipping AND ffl.

No offense to Mauser88 but I disagree. If everyone thought like that then noone would open a business in any field. If you have the capital and the drive then go for it. I wish you all the luck. It seems you've already started the process, so let us know here how its going. And don't forget to tell us when you open. You've already done a good job in marketing as you've mentioned it on this site. We've got over 100 members already, so that's 100 more possible customers for you. Once again good luck.

I agree Axeman_g, good luck and let us know when you're open.

For those looking to open a gun store I apllaud you and wish you luck. Your biggest obstacle is going to be shooters, we are all price driven. Rather than support the local gun store shooters run to Wal-Mart for ammo or the internet to find the best deal, this is why the local stores don't stay in business too long. SpecialK mentioned he doesn't mind spending a little more if the salesman are "friendly/couteous/informative, I agree, ask the salesman can you match a price or what is your best price on this.

As for shooting ranges this is a tough one. If you can find a properly zoned area, afford the liability insurance, pass EPA and government regulations you will still face your biggest obstacle public opinion. The residents of that area will battle against a shooting range. Hudson Farm probably the most exclusive club in NJ has battled with the local towns on some of these issues.

Check out their website http://www.hudsonfarmnj.com/index.htm. Membership fees here is for the rich and famous only, the good thing is they donate tons of money to charities. This place is really exclusive they have their own helicopter landing pad, Griffin and Howe does instructional shooting serices and the grounds are beautiful.

While I do agree with you, I do have to disagree to some extent. Go into any gun store and spend an hour.... see how many people go into the store and willing to pay any price. Look at all the countless newbies who go to the range, to rent. You tell them a box of 9mm ammo is $40 and they will pay it as they do not know any better.

and they will pay it as they do not know any better.

That may be so, but nobody stays uneducated forever.

When I started shooting, I bought my .40 ammo from my local store at about $25.00/50 rounds. I didn't know any better. Eventually, I learned that I could go to PA to buy ammo, or I could have it shipped in from pretty much anywhere for just over 1/2 that price. Same damn ammo... WWB 165/180gr FMJ. Now, I won't even go to the local place for anything. Not for .22, not for cleaning supplies, and certainly not for my next gun purchases. I won't even browse there. They've lost me as a customer because I learned better.

Ken

You are right. Even todays environment, a few weeks ago Sportsmans Center in Bordentown had 9mm ammo marked on shelf for 11.99 and $12.49 for brass... reasonable prices.

Now they got a bunch more in, but marked $16.99, not buying that.

$16.99 a box is about the going rate these day's

Per 50 or 100? I was in WalMart in Matamoras/Milford last week for ammo. 31.00/100 for .40 Remington JHP. They had 2 left. I bought them. They had a couple of boxes of 9mm Rem. JHP at $22.00/100. I don't even own a 9mm yet, but I bought them. When they have 9mm WWB, it's about $19.00/100.

It's only partially supply and demand. A lot of it is gouging the newbie while they can.

I don't blame the stores for profiteering. It's business, and you take advantage of any opportunity to bring up the margins. Shooting is a complicated sport that requires education. Part of that education should be the ability to learn when you're being taken advantage of, and to react accordingly.

Ken

It's cheaper for me to buy a whole new cleaning kit in WalMart then it is to buy a bottle of cleaner and some some pads from the local place. Education is an ongoing process.

K

As for shooting ranges this is a tough one. If you can find a properly zoned area, afford the liability insurance, pass EPA and government regulations you will still face your biggest obstacle public opinion. The residents of that area will battle against a shooting range.

This is why shooting ranges (esp in this state) are best located in dedicated industrial areas (ie Shore Shot and from what I understand Brick Armory is the same).

Though being a complete noob, I had a pie in the sky idea about opening an indoor range - and then I thought about the implications from EPA to even the design of the range (an indoor range must be designed to draw the air over the shooter toward the target to minimize lead dust, probably HEPA filtration is required to capture lead dust and then disposal of air filters which now become 'haz-mat'.)

All you need is some fool to show up and decide to off her son and herself, and there goes your business.

http://www.truveo.com/Mom-shoots-son-th ... 0756969763