Scottcba1

New member from Ocean County

Hello all, my name is Scott and Im from Bayville, NJ. I have been sport/range shooting for a few years now and have decided to purchase my first handgun. Just waiting on our wonderful government to tell me my FID and permit to purchase are ready so I can take the next step.

I stumbled across this site today and have enjoyed all the info so far. Seems to be a great bunch of enthusiasts and I hope to learn and help as much as I can.

-Scott

Thanks for all the welcomes! Seems to be a pretty close group of people. Do you guys ever have meets and all shoot together?

NJChiroDoc, I see in your sig that you own a Ruger SR9. How do you like it? That is on my potential purchase list but I have yet to find a range that has one for rent so I can get a feel for it.

FYI, I have narrowed the field down to the following guns all in a 9mm:

-Ruger SR9

-Ruger P89

-S&W MP-9

-S.A. XD-9

I have shot all of these except the SR9 and they all have their pos. & neg. points. Im leaning towards one of the Rugers I believe just hoping the SR9 doesnt disappoint.

-Scott

If you want to come up to bridgewater you are welcome to shoot mine. They have one for rent at Ready Aim Fire in Bristol PA. They really talk down about the gun because it has a recall. He told my wife it is now harder to shoot. Well when the gun is going off because the trigger is too light what do you expect. I love the gun. I was between getting a XD 9 and the SR9. I shot better groupings under rapid fire with the SR9 and was looking for a smaller caliber for IDPA shooting that is why the SR 9 was a good choice for me.

Wow thanks for the invite! Im actually up in the Bridgewater every couple weeks(Thats where my GFs family lives). I might have to set something up. Where in BR do you shoot?

I know Shore Shot in Lakewood has one for rent but it has been at the gunsmith's for a couple weeks getting ready for rentals.

THanks again!

-Scott

Welcome from Toms River. We shoot regularly at Shore Shot. I am sure as soon as it comes back from the smith, you can shoot it and see if you like it. I shot one before buying my XD and it was alright but we went with the XD because of many recommendations from friends and fellow shooters. Also, I was gunshy (no pun intended) after it was recalled). You have to try it for yourself because last year I bought an M&P .40 on a recommendation (there was not one in the rental rack and I was rushed because I had a permit that was expiring) and it never grouped for me. My son and everyone else at the range shot it fine but for me, it was terrible. I sold it and got the XD and have been very happy with it. Go figure?

Thanks John! I havent recieved my permits yet so I still have 90+ days to narrow the field. I was a big fan of the XD-9 and not so much the MP-9 but I only put a 50rounds through each. Hopefully my next trip to SS I can put a box through the SR9 as well as the two mention above and see which one fits the best.

-Scott

having owned and or shot most of the polymer pistols mentioned... I got to say...

I love the xd feel, however after shooting alot more on a CZ, Beretta and M&P, the trigger finger placement on the trigger is a little different on the xd's. On the cz's etc I have the tip on the trigger... whereas on the xd's, the trigger falls right in the middle, thus I end up slightly pull the gun to the side, unless I make a proactive effort to keep a look on it.

One handed though, the XD feels really reallly reallly good, and was even more accurate one handed.