Lavid2002

THE OFFICIAL FID THREAD - How Long Did it Take?

I call every week and I am polite. When they tell me that my permits are not ready yet and that they will call me when I can get them and tell me I dont have to call I dont get mad. I dont yell, I just stay polite and tell them I will check in if I dont hear anything in a week. Kill them with kindness.

-Scott

I thought about doing this, but I dunno I don't want to piss the guy off by calling often. He said last time that it's completely out of his hands (which I believe) and that he can't do anything about it and he'll call me back as soon as he gets the paperwork. I think he will, because when he had to call me back to make an appointment to get printed he did in a timely fashion. This leads me to believe that it really is out of his hands and he's waiting on the NJSP.

Plus, I met the Captain when I was down there getting printed and he was extremely friendly about my application, joking around and chatting.

Of course, when I finally get it if the date is more than a few days in the past I'll retract everything nice I just said ;)

--FCOD

I wouldn't dount that the SP backed up. When I sumited my app. the Det. said you wouldn't believe how many people are applying. And when I picked up my ID card and permit there were at least 15 more in the stacked that the officer fliped through to find mine.

Plainsboro Police Department took roughly 7 weeks. Applied late January, finally got a call back beginning of March. Had all of my paperwork squared away (including mailed-references) within four or five days of turning in the initial paperwork.

I started my FID and Handgun Purchase Permit application in late '07, finally get it in 2Q '08, a little over 6 months if I recall correctly.

I'm a volunteer EMT in my town, so I had a bit of an 'in' with the police department.

Two main holdups were:

Several weeks *AFTER* the Police Department submitted my paperwork/fingerprints/money order, the State Police raised the fee and apparently made the increase retroactive to my applications. Even worse than that, they DID NOT NOTIFY the police department that this was the case. It took me calling the PD and them finally calling the SP to find out what was going on. 3 months wasted over a $6 fee increase, if I recall correctly.

It then took another 2 months for processing, and then it sat at the local PD for another month before I called again to find out the status and got the "Oh, we notified you X weeks ago that it was ready". Uh, no you didn't.

Anyway, when I went to pick up the FID and permit, they just handed them to me via the dispatcher "bank teller" window. Therefore my FID card does *NOT* have my thumbprint on it. Anyone else have a "blank" print block on their FID?

Sounds like whoever is doing the work isn't following protocol. the State has a nasty habit of yanking privileges when you don't follow the rules. Everyone would sweat when the SCIC staff came in for audits on computer access. You get one, maybe two warning before they cut access or limit it severely. then any processing is out the window.

If it were me, I'd bring it back and have it corrected. The cards are not numbers so they can print out a corrected card. A dealer would have every right to refuse a sale if they desired. While we never forgot the print, we have laminated before the holder signed or the seal was embossed on. That meant retyping the card which is not a big deal.

What a cheap ass town. Can't spring for a dollar to laminate it? :|

The cards tend to fall apart if not laminated. Then you have to go through the process of a replacement which can be a pain. I bought a machine and the ID card pouches and did everyone after the were issued. Insures security to some extent.

What a cheap a** town. Can't spring for a dollar to laminate it? :|

The cards tend to fall apart if not laminated. Then you have to go through the process of a replacement which can be a pain. I bought a machine and the ID card pouches and did everyone after the were issued. Insures security to some extent.

Actually, Jim at Action Shooters Supply laminated mine for free (when I bought my pistol from him).

I keep trying to "view results" of the inital question on this thread and it is not found. Do you have to submit an answer to see the table?

I want to see how many others are over 90 days but I dont want to answer SINCE I STILL DONT HAVE MINE!!! :evil:

-Scott

Vernon Township.

103 days. I called every Friday after 60 days. References got letters immediately...then after about 2 months I started to get BS.

I'm confident they were sitting on it as their excuse didn't jive with other townships who seems to have magical prowess with the FEDS to get paperwork done in a week yet takes almost 3 months for Vernon.

Best thing to do is if you do not receive it after 60 days get an Attorney that handles firearms permits in NJ and have them start calling and sending polite letters. I have heard that going that route gets it moving quick since they know they are violating the legal time frame allowed.

It costs $600 - $700 for the attorney so its not cheap but worth it not having to wait 6-7 months for no reason.

I just officially applied today and had my prints done. The Detective/Officer was a great guy and very friendly about the entire process. He told me they normally get them back within 6 weeks without a problem. That sounds similar to what others have told me from the Marlboro area. So I am hoping it goes smoothly. I never had any arrests or criminal convictions so it should get approved. I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks