Ray Ray

anyone use a shotgun for home defense?

I was just curious if anyone else uses a shotgun for their home defense firearm. I use my 870 with the AR stock and 2 side saddles with 11 rounds on it so the gun is never loaded (got a baby who is starting to move around FAST!), but is easily loaded in a pinch.

Absolutely...on my side a mossberg 590 special purpose first round is a bean bag, 4buck after that, side saddle with 00 buck and 2 slugs in the speed feed stock, and a surefire light with pressure switch. And on the wifes side a Rem 870 with AR stock, side saddle and surefire light, same ammo config.

Moss 500 cocked and locked with 00 buck under the bed.

None of this "when they hear the pump racking they'll leave" crap. If they get to my bedroom, bang.

K

Absolutely...on my side a mossberg 590 special purpose first round is a bean bag, 4buck after that, side saddle with 00 buck and 2 slugs in the speed feed stock, and a surefire light with pressure switch. And on the wifes side a Rem 870 with AR stock, side saddle and surefire light, same ammo config.
Why would you have so many weapons at your bed and why would u mix buck with slugs. ?

Why would you have so many weapons

Why not??? His 'n hers. "I pity the fool" that walks into that bedroom. All that's missing is a flamethrower.gif

Ken

The reason for a combo of buck and slugs is...buckshot is better for "close up" applications, and slugs are better if you want to reach out and touch someone, up to a certain point. I have ghost ring sights on my mossberg so it can be better aimed than one with a bead. Reason for the first shot being a bean bag round is, NJ loves to prosecute homeowners protecting themselves. With the first shot being a less lethal round, it looks better in court, not to mention, I dont actually want to take someones life unless I absolutely have to. If they dont get the point after being shot with the less lethal round then, to be blunt, it sucks to be them.

As for having "so many' weapons by the bed, well...we have no kids yet, we do have one on the way, so the gun arrangement will soon change. Long arms will go in the safe, and pistols will be placed in the biometric lock boxes. Anyway, on occasion I work late and she is home alone. Both her and I feel safer having one on my side and one on her side. Also, take another "for instance". It's 3:00 am a burgler is in the house, and standing over my side of the bed. By the time she wakes me up (I sleep thru anything) and I come to my senses, she can just as easily grab a 12 gauge which is within arms reach of her and do what she has to do.

Hey Ken...I NEEEED a flame thrower!!! Any Idea where I can pick one up??? hahaha :lol:

The reason for a combo of buck and slugs is...buckshot is better for "close up" applications, and slugs are better if you want to reach out and touch someone, up to a certain point. I have ghost ring sights on my mossberg so it can be better aimed than one with a bead. Reason for the first shot being a bean bag round is, NJ loves to prosecute homeowners protecting themselves. With the first shot being a less lethal round, it looks better in court, not to mention, I dont actually want to take someones life unless I absolutely have to. If they dont get the point after being shot with the less lethal round then, to be blunt, it sucks to be them.

As for having "so many' weapons by the bed, well...we have no kids yet, we do have one on the way, so the gun arrangement will soon change. Long arms will go in the safe, and pistols will be placed in the biometric lock boxes. Anyway, on occasion I work late and she is home alone. Both her and I feel safer having one on my side and one on her side. Also, take another "for instance". It's 3:00 am a burgler is in the house, and standing over my side of the bed. By the time she wakes me up (I sleep thru anything) and I come to my senses, she can just as easily grab a 12 gauge which is within arms reach of her and do what she has to do.

Hey Ken...I NEEEED a flame thrower!!! Any Idea where I can pick one up??? hahaha :lol:

Interesting idea with the mixing, never thought of that. I have 4 slugs in shotgun, all i need is chamber it. Hope never to use it on a human, but ready if I have no other choice :-)

Ray Ray...I got them from cheaper than dirt, I will put a link at the bottom. They have several different less lethal rounds to choose from. Suprisingly enough I actually never shot one, so I could not tell you about the recoil :oops: . I should shoot a few so I know what to expect if the need ever arises. They also have rounds with a bright dye loaded in them for ID purposes...pretty neat.

These are the ones I have:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM831-5.html

I was just curious if anyone else uses a shotgun for their home defense firearm. I use my 870 with the AR stock and 2 side saddles with 11 rounds on it so the gun is never loaded (got a baby who is starting to move around FAST!), but is easily loaded in a pinch.

Looking at that questions again a little closer.... technically I OWN a shotgun for home defense. I don't USE one for defense. We don't have Morlocks in my neighborhood that I and constantly defending my home ;-)

Looking at that questions again a little closer.... technically I OWN a shotgun for home defense. I don't USE one for defense. We don't have Morlocks in my neighborhood that I and constantly defending my home ;-)

I would love to live in a neighborhood with no Morlocks. My block is full of those bastards. It seems everynight I'm dropping 2 or 3 of them in my backyard. :x

PoorSoulInJersey, everyone else understood the question. If you want to be technical, I OWN many firearms and the question asks "use a shotgun for home defense". Now, I didn't ask if anyone would "use a Mauser 98K for home defense", because I own one of those and wouldn't think to use it as a primary home defense tool. I also own a Henry 22lr and I wouldn't use that either for home defense as a 22 lever action isn't a good first choice. So, to reiterate your point, I OWN firearms and don't USE all of them for home defense. Thank you.

Chad, for that price I wouldn't be shooting them too much either. I've seen people get shot with them and it's pretty painful.

Yeah, they are a little pricey to use for practice. I would still like to shoot one or two, just to know what kind of recoil it produces, so I know what to expect if I ever did really have to shoot one.

From what I hear they are pretty painful, and pack a nice little punch, but some people can just brush them off like they never felt it...i guess it depends on how many drugs you use that day! ;) The way I figgure it, it takes under one second to rack the next round (#4 Buck) and be ready if the bean bag has no effect. I found this on youtube....feel free to fast forward to the 1:00 mark thats when it gets interesting. Enjoy

CCQVK3JPRe4

Ray Ray...I got them from cheaper than dirt, I will put a link at the bottom. They have several different less lethal rounds to choose from. Suprisingly enough I actually never shot one, so I could not tell you about the recoil :oops: . I should shoot a few so I know what to expect if the need ever arises. They also have rounds with a bright dye loaded in them for ID purposes...pretty neat.

These are the ones I have:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM831-5.html

if i was relying on them as first-defense, i'd be sure to put quite a few of them through the gun to make sure they function with no issue. saving my ass is a bit more important than the cost of specialty ammo.

I used to use one until I turned 21. Then I got a handgun for that role. I used to use a Mossberg 500 loaded with all the goodies and the 18.5" barrel.

I only switched to a handgun because they are easier to lock up than a shotgun with kids around. Given a choice, I would take a 12 ga over a pistol any day,

Remington 870 Tactical with 6+1 combination. Have a side saddle with 6 as well. All 00 buck.

I also have a 1911 within reach with night sights. I hope to augment that with a Glock 19 with night sights and a light.

I need to get a light.

Lights are so damned expensive though. Decent ones run around $100. That's a lot.

Right now, I am thinking of only buying one. And mounting it on the Shotgun, as that is the primary HD weapon. The pistols with nightsights are good enough to get me from horizontal to armed without being caught naked... though, we won't discuss sleeping habits here. :oops:

DA:

I have THIS light mounted on my HD SG, I was very apprehensive at first about reliability because of how inexpensive it was. I have put at least 500 rounds thru my mossberg 590 with this light mounted on it and not once have I had a problem. I also have the fancy Streamlights and SureFire lights mounted on some of my guns and these lights perform just as well as the big bucks flashlights. It is EXTREMELY bright (300 Lumens). I dont use the rechargeables tho, I use regular CR123A. Check it out...def. worth the small investment.

I use THIS for mounting the light to the barrel....works like a charm!

The one on the right has the el cheapo light...

DA:

I have THIS light mounted on my HD SG, I was very apprehensive at first about reliability because of how inexpensive it was. I have put at least 500 rounds thru my mossberg 590 with this light mounted on it and not once have I had a problem. I also have the fancy Streamlights and SureFire lights mounted on some of my guns and these lights perform just as well as the big bucks flashlights. It is EXTREMELY bright (300 Lumens). I dont use the rechargeables tho, I use regular CR123A. Check it out...def. worth the small investment.

I like it! I might put the light on the side of the weapon as opposed to the bottom as I like to have a sling for my shotgun. But I will look into it.

Right now... I have to pay the credit card bill for the Glock 19 purchase... :oops:

DA:

I like it! I might put the light on the side of the weapon as opposed to the bottom as I like to have a sling for my shotgun. But I will look into it.

Right now... I have to pay the credit card bill for the Glock 19 purchase... :oops:

Actually the mount has a sling attachment built in. But, first recover from that G19 !!! :|