Melgamatic

Remington UMC 9mm stinks

I have a Glock 34. I shot around 300 rounds of Winchester 9mm "range and target" with no problems, then switched to some Remington UMC that I bought somewhere. Had all sorts of failure to load, failure to eject, etc problems at the range. Thought it was my gun, thought I might be "limp wristing" it, etc. Worried if the pistol was ok...

Then, shot another 2000-3000 rounds of Winchester without a SINGLE failure to load or failure to eject problem. Not a single one. Slow fire, rapid fire, one hand, two hand, etc.

Today, decided to try some of the UMC again. Maybe my gun had "broken in" or something.

Went through 50 rounds. 5 10-round magazines. There was at least one failure to eject and at least one failure to load in each magazine!

Conclusion: Remington UMC 9mm luger handgun ammunition sucks. Several stores I know in NJ will warn you about this.

Interestingy, Remington 223 rifle ammo seems to be roughly OK.

-Melgamatic

It is dirty and weak ammo. It will usually work just fine in older weapons with weaker springs. Not so good for a break-in period. I've got 500 rounds of it, if I can get down to the range tomorrow I'll run 100 rounds of it.

Remington Ammo as a whole sucks as far as I'm concerned. Remington Golden Bullet 22 rimfire has to be the worst.

Wow. I am surprised to hear that.

Then again, we all have heard this many times, certain guns don't like certain loads, and there is no rhyme or reason to it.

At least you know of a round that does work well in your Glock. Perhaps your 34 likes the longer overall length on the Winchester White Box loads over the UMC's shorter OAL?

I guess I have been lucky. I have never had an issue whatsoever (ftf, fte, etc...) with UMC in 45 or in 9mm. I have put thousands of rounds through the various blasters over the past few years(I keep logs/notebooks). I have been buying it at Dick's Sporting goods for a long time. I find it to be of slightly higher quality (cleaner, more consistent velocities on chrono) than WWB and more along the lines with Federal AE which I find to be an excellent load that exhibits the most consistent performance of the big 3's value lines in all of my pistols from my experience. I do put a lot of rounds down range so I will say perhaps I would not be the best judge of how "dirty" the UMC is - After all, I am a boy and just like my 14+ month old son, I get my toys dirty when I take them out to play - I guess it's just the way some of us guys do things?

I have had some issues with WWB in 45ACP, but only with a Glock 36 so I won't count it against Winchester.

Isn't it amazing how every gun has it's own personality/preferences for certain loads ?!?!

They are just like gun owners with their guns.

:D

Which stores in NJ will warn you about this issue with UMC? I'm curious.

Bought 1000 rounds of it last year; have about 200 left.

My baby glock ate most of them just fine except for one.

One of them completely failed to light off; the primer had a nice solid dent in it from the firing pin, but it apparently did not ignite the powder and the bullet was still firmly seated in the case.

That's the only time since I've had the glock that I pulled the trigger with it loaded and it didn't go "boom".

bad batch? call remington, I am sure they would be happy to make it good for you.

+1

I had a bad brick of .22lr, sent them a nice letter, with the flap from one of the boxes that showed the production day, they sent me a check to buy another brick....

I don't really have any interest in ever buying any Remington UMC stuff ever again, so I don't really need replacements from Remington. I'll sell it at the Gun Club meeting on Tuesday to someone who's too cheap to buy better ammo... :twisted:

It's also much dirtier than other 9mm ammo I shoot. There was black soot in places my gun has never been dirty before. Oh well.

i've got 4,000+ rounds of it through my XD-9 without any issues. before we were reloading, it was all that i shot.

Many rounds through my XD9 and Beretta 92 FS...other than being dirty, I have no issues. I was able to get a case at $10 a box before the rise in ammo prices so I can't complain too much.

Glad to see more good comments then bad with the Remington UMC since I have an order in for 600rds of it. Cabelas had it on sale and the price was right. We shall see once it comes and I have a gun to fire it with.

-Scott

I ran 100 rounds of Rem UMC 9mm this morning in my HK P30. No problems whatsoever. In fact, I'm not sure if I wasn't a touch more accurate than the 100 blazer brass I ran.

Recoil was about the same as Blazer but lighter than Lawman. That may explain the issues others have had. This was from 100 round packs.

Did you happen to get that from Cabela's ? I ordered the 600rd bulk pack that came with the free ammo case. It was on back order when I placed my order but was suppose to be shipped on 5/29. Just wondering if you were part of this backorder as well.

-Scott

I shot some more of this crap at the range on Thursday. I had a FTF in my glock. The primer was dented as usual but an entire section of the primer just broke off. weird. I can't wait for my range to start stocking other than this junk ammo.

Edit: I forgot. My father in law went to the same range earlier in the week. The UMC would not feed into his para LDA or his browning hi power.

I shot some more of this crap at the range on Thursday. I had a FTF in my glock. The primer was dented as usual but an entire section of the primer just broke off. weird. I can't wait for my range to start stocking other than this junk ammo.

Edit: I forgot. My father in law went to the same range earlier in the week. The UMC would not feed into his para LDA or his browning hi power.

Have any of that ammo left? I am sure anyone here would be more than happy to test the ammo for you.