Sign in to follow this  
maintenanceguy

Fixed Mag AR

The "SKS Conversion" thread got me thinking.

If somebody modified an AR so that the magazine could not be removed without disassembly of the rifle, it's no longer an "assault weapon".  It could have a flash suppressor, adjustable stock, etc. 

But, how do you load such a rifle, when the bolt is retracted, there isn't enough room to load the magazine from the top.

What if the bottom came off the magazine?  You could open a trap door at the bottom of the mag, slide out the spring and follower and load from the bottom.   Seems legal.  Anything I missed?  Any way this is illegal?

We'll know when New York's SAFE Act gets here. 

You think NJ is going to have a safe act?  Murphy gets elected NJ will be the first state to have an all out ban on guns.  Loretta, Double Dipper, Weinberg will introduce legislation and he'll sign it.  

I've been contemplating solutions to this seemingly inevitable situation (SAFE Act). Loading from the top seems to be the most viable solution. I'm unsure of how rounds would be fed upward without a spring and follower in a feed from the bottom design.

I would never trade a detachable magazine for a collapsible stock, flash surpressot, and bayonet stud. You would be trading a great deal of utility for "looks". The detachable magazine is a much better feature than those.

I realize to some it's all about looks. Like 15/30 magazines and spending money to add a muzzle brake.

Here you go, LWRC made a prototype, maybe other manufacturers will try something similar. But hopefully not a brand new lower but maybe some sort of a retrofit.

http://nyfirearms.com/forums/ar-15/69486-we-spoke-lwrc-listened-ny-compliant-ar-lr7-ny.html

Keep in mind that New York was crafty enough to word their Article 265 Penal Law to read as such: 

22. "Assault weapon" means
(a) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable

magazine and has at least one of the following characteristics: 

The ARMagLok is good for CA, but would not pass muster in NY. 

Keep in mind that New York was crafty enough to word their Article 265 Penal Law to read as such:

22. "Assault weapon" means

(a) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable

magazine and has at least one of the following characteristics:

The ARMagLok is good for CA, but would not pass muster in NY.

If it was a fixed magazine you would be good to go. I was thinking top loading with stripper clips. It would have to be an upper receiver with a cutout over the magazine.

Someone should make a lower that has a hinged mag such as a Mosin or sks that could be opened for cleaning or malfunctions but otherwise non removable except during full disassembly. Some how mill or add a stripper clip guide to the inside of the lower reciever or mag and design a modern curved stripper clip that could be inserted right thru the ejection port. I have this pictured out in my head as being a nifty last resort

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

Mini 14s can be converted to strippers. I'm sure mags can be pinned.

do you mean that the mags can be converted or is there a way to use strippers through the open action while the mag is in place? I have a Mini in a butler creek folding stock I keep out of state but I'd like it to be my truck gun again.

Someone should make a lower that has a hinged mag such as a Mosin or sks that could be opened for cleaning or malfunctions but otherwise non removable except during full disassembly. Some how mill or add a stripper clip guide to the inside of the lower reciever or mag and design a modern curved stripper clip that could be inserted right thru the ejection port. I have this pictured out in my head as being a nifty last resort

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

I was thinking a hinged picatinny rail with the center milled out to act as a stripper guide. Spring loaded would be ideal, but I have no idea how to get from concept to a working design.

All of this conversation will be academic when Trump makes all the AWBs and magazine limits go away.

There is no federal AWB or magazine capacity limit. The only way we're getting rid of those in NJ is through federal court. The Caetano v. Massachusetts decision discussed in the stun gun thread can be used to argue that the NJ AWB and magazine limits are unconstitutional.

There is no federal AWB or magazine capacity limit. The only way we're getting rid of those in NJ is through federal court. The Caetano v. Massachusetts decision discussed in the stun gun thread can be used to argue that the NJ AWB and magazine limits are unconstitutional.

I am well aware there is no Federal AWB or magazine limit. You're wrong about a prolonged court battle being the only way to do away with AWBs and magazine limits imposed by states. These two issues, concealed carry in all states, and other issues can easily be remedied by attaching them as a condition to receive Federal funding. This can be attached to funding for anything. That would put the onus of repealing these laws on state legislatures. I think Democrats like to spend money more than hate guns.

So much for the "I will not comply" mentality. 

My thoughts exactly.  Looking for ways to follow laws not in place yet is conceding.  I'm just not there.  

I also don't own any AR's...