Sign in to follow this  
ben

Dry Fire

I'm trying to explain to a friend of mine that dry firing a weapon does NOT damage it. I realize there are a certain FEW which dry firing is not recommended due to design, but for the most part I would spend countless hours dry firing centerfire pistols for practice. The veterans on this forum know all too well what I'm talking about.

Where do these rumors come from?

Depends on the weapon me thinks. Some guns have fragile pins... I think CZs. Has to do with the type of steel/material used.

Glocks, Springfields, and other tubberware/hammerless guns are designed to be dry fired. Most others can be as well... I know my Kimber 1911 can be dry fired without issue.

But to be honest, I always recommend snap caps anyways.

Beretta actually lists not to dry fire in their manuals, but you have ex military that swear they have dry fired their M9's thousands of times in practice.. It's one of those things where I would rather not find out if something would happen, and use snap caps as cheap insurance. Besides the fact that it's good to be able to cycle the gun and see how everything feeds and ejects.

Beretta actually lists not to dry fire in their manuals, but you have ex military that swear they have dry fired their M9's thousands of times in practice.. It's one of those things where I would rather not find out if something would happen, and use snap caps as cheap insurance. Besides the fact that it's good to be able to cycle the gun and see how everything feeds and ejects.

You can also use snap caps and empty casings to simulate malfunctions too. Tap, Rack, Bang.

I have been dry firing my 92FS....you're saying it's not recommended? I bought this used and did not get a manual....

I have been dry firing my 92FS....you're saying it's not recommended? I bought this used and did not get a manual....

According to the manual and many people over on the Beretta Forum, it's supposed to be bad for the firing pin. If you don't have snap caps you could always use an empty casing.

I have read that Ruger says its ok to dry fire their SR9 EXCEPT when the magazine is removed. Dry firing in this position can damage the internals.

I am by no means a gun expert or even a novice...definitely a beginner but from what I have seen different guns companies have their does and donts. Probably best to check as per your manufacturers.

-Scott

tgz13 is absolutely correct.

Quoted directly from the 92FS manual:

DRY FIRING/"DUMMY" ROUNDS

If you want to practice aim and trigger pull, insert a FIRED cartridge case or "DUMMY" cartridge in the chamber to cushion the fall of the firing pin and eliminate the chance of firing pin breakage.

Hammer fall in connection with the normal use of the manual safety-decocking lever DOES NOT cause firing pin breakage.

Your dealer can supply different "DUMMY" cartridges:

Note:

• "DUMMY" cartridges with spring loader"Primer" are excellent but expensive.
    "DUMMY" cartridges with solid heads are good for loading/unloading and dry firing practice.
    "DUMMY" cartridges with empty primer pockets are good for loading/unloading practice but DO NOT protect the firing pin when dry firing.

Here's a link to the manual; https://www.berettausa.com/PDF/92Series.pdf

And you might find this website useful as well; http://www.beretta92fs.com/

According to the manual and many people over on the Beretta Forum, it's supposed to be bad for the firing pin. If you don't have snap caps you could always use an empty casing.

I would not try to dry fire any gun that is not current production. I would never attempt it on say my G98/40 since spare parts are non existant. I also would not try it on say an all matching number Luger. You can not replace numbered and rare parts.