bbk

What is your emergency response?

I was having a discussion with my brother-in-law earlier today, and we started talking about what we would do in local/regional/national emergency situations. I know that this forum has discussed what we might do in home invasion situations (panic rooms, etc), or other personal situational events. However, what type of hypothetical contingency plans do people have? (Don't have to share exact details [iE locations])

Personally, mine revolves around how the Army always told me I was orders and 24 hours from deploying. So, I always have a "Go" bag (bug out bag, etc) that holds the essentials (first aid kit/materials, maps, lensatic compass, nalgene or camelbak, pen/paper [Rite-in-Rain], deck of cards, socks). Other things like flashlights/snap lights, survival knife (NJ legal :lol: ), and a lighter... and I'm probably forgetting something. Though I'm a legal gun owner, I would bring it with me in a legal fashion (and enough ammo without hindering other needs)... yea yea, I know, if the situation is that bad, why worry about the laws? Well, civilized people have to stay civil I think. Or it can lead to panic among other things. Honestly though, if things were to get that bad, I would do whatever was necessary to protect myself and the ones I was with.

As for where to go, I would use a dependable form of transportation. Currently I have a 4x4 Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0L engines... old, but built to last. I would avoid major routes, and large groups of people. As for where to go, it would depend on the emergency and its location.

I'll add a post later if I can think of anything else. But how about you all? I'm interested to see what kind of approach people take. Maybe we can all learn a thing or two from each other.

I too have a B.O.B. stocked and ready to go. As far as a vehicle goes, I have a Chevy Tahoe that would be our vehicle of choice. For firearms, I was (and still am) strongly considering purchasing this from Henry Repeating Arms. I would also bring my 1911 and a tactical 12 gauge.

Some of my B.O.B. contents:

Several 150+ Lumens LED flashlights, Glow sticks, fire piston and other various fire making materials, several knives and multi tools, water purification tabs / filtration kit, emergency fishing kit with collapsable pole and bait, long term food, small stove, pots, pans, cups, tube tent, emergency blanket, zip ties, duct tape, nails, para cord, rain gear, various clothes, gloves, machette, crank radio, several maps, compasses, GPS units, first aid kits, police scanner, GRMS radios, batteries, etc etc etc.

I would drive to my house in up-state NY, if the emergency around here was due to a flood, fire, hurricane, tonado etc. I'm pretty well protected up there in the mountains.

My emergency response kit would be to call Chad. =P

On a serious note, I really dont have one on paper, even after living through 9/11 at ground zero. My first instinct is grab, keys, phone, wallet, and at that time my trust swiss army knife, call my neighbors, and try to get the fug out of there.

Right now, I have most things that I would need in the trunk of the car, including the Emergency kit issued to us while working at UBS, and as long as I have the gf, she knows the rest, considering they lived in the middle of the country in Russia in tents for 6 months studying soil. :o

Brothers new house in PA, or relatives in Ohio. Worst case, fly to Ukraine or my gf's place in Russia.

What would be a real nice contingency plan is a boat ready to go, or a plane and a house in the middle of Brazil's coast. ;)

Unless you're like Chad and have a place in the sticks, if you leave your home, you are actively becoming a refugee.

My plan is to shelter in place. We have the materials and supplies to do so, and it's not all that hard.

They can't force you to evacuate, and if they try to, what are they gonna do? If it's that serious, they'll have bigger fish to fry.

Plus, I work on a military base, so even when I'm not at home, I am in a place that is somewhat safe. Though my first objective would be to go home.

You really have to specify the scenario as well.

you just have to be ready to bear the elements if the shtf..

you also need to be aware it is coming and heed the warnings..

You can survive the elements if your home is in the right location. If some of your neighbors take the unfortunate step and evacuate, you can use their supplies.

As far as being aware... some scenarios give you time, others do not. Nuclear attack/terrorists don't give you a lot of lead time. Zombies and plagues do.

I suggest reading http://thesurvivalistblog.blogspot.com/

This guy is definitely prepared for anything. Maybe a little over the top, but a lot of his articles are very informative about living off the land and how to prepare.

I've been slacking a bit with getting supplies for the house, but I've decided the "bug in" is the way we'll go if something crazy happens. Short of something nuclear in NYC, I think trying to leave will make things worse for us. Plus, I got no where to go to the west of here... almost everyone I know is to the east in the city, or down south in Jersey. So, there's really no point in trying to leave unless the plan is to go camping in the pine barrens or something :?

On the plus side, I JUST picked up an '01 Cherokee (XJ), so while going off road doesn't really make sense for our situation, I can tear up the local golf courses if I need to make a quick escape :lol:

My biggest concern has always been getting out of the city and back home. The wife and I both work in the city. Even tho I'm new to Jersey, I saw how difficult it was for my co-workers to get out of the city and into Jersey after 9/11, and, more recently, during the blackout a few years ago. If it's some sort of flu/outbreak/pandemic/zombies, it's no so bad cuz I'll hopefully see the signs early and just stay at home. If it's something that happens suddenly, then things get infinitely more complicated. Luckily, my parents still live in the city, and my girl knows to head there at the first sign of something bad... but we eventually gotta find a way to get back home to jersey. Still haven't found a perfect solution. If it's just a day or two of getting stuck in the city cuz of a blackout - no biggie. If it's something else, then I dunno. We could always trying swimming across the hudson :lol:

I've been slacking a bit with getting supplies for the house, but I've decided the "bug in" is the way we'll go if something crazy happens. Short of something nuclear in NYC, I think trying to leave will make things worse for us. Plus, I got no where to go to the west of here... almost everyone I know is to the east in the city, or down south in Jersey. So, there's really no point in trying to leave unless the plan is to go camping in the pine barrens or something :?

On the plus side, I JUST picked up an '01 Cherokee (XJ), so while going off road doesn't really make sense for our situation, I can tear up the local golf courses if I need to make a quick escape :lol:

My biggest concern has always been getting out of the city and back home. The wife and I both work in the city. Even tho I'm new to Jersey, I saw how difficult it was for my co-workers to get out of the city and into Jersey after 9/11, and, more recently, during the blackout a few years ago. If it's some sort of flu/outbreak/pandemic/zombies, it's no so bad cuz I'll hopefully see the signs early and just stay at home. If it's something that happens suddenly, then things get infinitely more complicated. Luckily, my parents still live in the city, and my girl knows to head there at the first sign of something bad... but we eventually gotta find a way to get back home to jersey. Still haven't found a perfect solution. If it's just a day or two of getting stuck in the city cuz of a blackout - no biggie. If it's something else, then I dunno. We could always trying swimming across the hudson :lol:

I was stuck in brooklyn for 2 days on 9/11. Since I could not get out of manhattan, crossed the bridge into bk, and had my parents' friends pick me up, stayed with them.

Remember, don't bug out if you don't have a place to go. Bugging out without a plan makes you a refugee.

Unless you are in the direct blast/heat zone of a potential nuke target, like NYC, as long as you are west or south of the city with a reasonable distance 15miles~25miles, the fallout should go directly east out over the ocean.

Even if fallout lands on your house, you can shelter in place.

Chad my buddy my friend :D

I agree with DA about hunkering down unless the situation warrants egress.

It's your best bet. Even if you do Bug Out, it's not a good idea to leave right away.

I mean, shoot, you see the Parkway on a rainy day?? Traffic galore. Imagine something worse.

Are we talking about a Zombie attack?

Depends on the zombie attack.

Are we talking about "Resident Evil 1" where it is limited to one house.... or

"Resident Evil 5" where it is the whole nation.

Let's hear both scenarios.

I mean, shoot, you see the Parkway on a rainy day?? Traffic galore. Imagine something worse.

Thats why Tim and I are planning on digging a series of underground tunnels from NJ to mexico! Got a shovel? Actually you could always travel by boat. No traffic in the open seas. ;)

Its true, the traffic would be unimaginable. I would most likely hang tight until it was absolutely necessary for me to leave.

There was some heated arguments a while back in Lacey / Waretown about the evacuation procedures in the event of a power plant incident. Something about bridges if I recall correctly. Mauser?

Thats why Tim and I are planning on digging a series of underground tunnels from NJ to mexico! Got a shovel? Actually you could always travel by boat. No traffic in the open seas. ;)

Its true, the traffic would be unimaginable. I would most likely hang tight until it was absolutely necessary for me to leave.

There was some heated arguments a while back in Lacey / Waretown about the evacuation procedures in the event of a power plant incident. Something about bridges if I recall correctly. Mauser?

I dunno... last thing I need to do is trade one scenario for another. Those drug cartels are pretty nasty. ;)

If you could only take one of these during a crisis which may leave you stranded in the woods...which one would you choose?

The US Survival .22 from Henry Repeating Arms (with scope)

Or the J.I.C. from mossberg.

A 22 would be good for small game hunting for food, a 12 gauge has the potential to destroy any meat you could harvist from small game.

A 12 gauge would be a better choice for protection, but a .22 could serve as a personal protection round also, with good shot placement obviously.

that was the ultimate gun in quake. and doom. Although I prefer the plazma gun or the rail gun.

Pfft, rocket launcher (quake) and chainsaw/shotgun (doom). The only good part of the Doom movie was when Dwayne Johnson called the BFG by its nickname :lol: