gleninjersey

INK WELL PRINTERS

Our HP Envy 3400 Inkjet printer died.  I've tried cleaning the heads.  It won't print or "recognize" the printer cartridges (they are HP cartridges).

How are these newer "Ink Well" / cartridgeless printers?  It's only going to be used to periodically print school report, recipes, etc.  Pretty light home usage.

Even though we didn't use the old one much it seemed we were buying cartridges 2-3 times a year for it.  And they aren't cheap!

Below are two I'm looking at.  Any recommendations, pro or con, are appreciated. 

https://www.costco.com/epson-ecotank-et-2850-special-edition-with-bonus-black-ink-bottle.product.100851752.html

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-smart-tank-7001-wireless-all-in-one-supertank-inkjet-printer-with-up-to-2-years-of-ink-included-white-slate/6477854.p?skuId=6477854

I have an HP Smart Tank Plus 550....I love it. I have had for over a year, print pretty regular, including a lot of docs, color posters, and photos....i have yet to have to fill any chambers.....the black is a lot bigger than other colors. don't seem to dry up like the older heads, when not printing for awhile. 

Having endured the inkjet drying out before it was used up thing for way too long, I went for a Canon MFP laser. The cartridges last a lot longer and don't dry up between uses. Having the scanner function has made keeping copies of all the records for permits much, much easier. I store the scanned images in Dropbox so I can get them from my phone too.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

Having endured the inkjet drying out before it was used up thing for way too long, I went for a Canon MFP laser. The cartridges last a lot longer and don't dry up between uses. Having the scanner function has made keeping copies of all the records for permits much, much easier. I store the scanned images in Dropbox so I can get them from my phone too.

The MFP I have been using for a couple years now is a Konica Minolta Bizhub C3110.  I use it everyday and it still has under 9,000 on the meter!  Not bad for the $50 I paid for it....Or was it $25, I honestly don't remember now!

HP laser jet printers run forever.  Just say'n. 

If you think about it, how necessary is a color printer to your every day needs?  When I was freelancing in graphic arts, I had several color ink jets, and they were amazing, hardly ever gummed up because I used them often. In fact, a little too often.  I realized I was spending a lot of money I didn't need to.  Why should I be spending $125 on a pack of color cartridges when I am printing 95% black and white.  The problem with color printers is they do use color ink even if you are printing only B&W.  It was a waste. 

Good printers used to be stupid expensive, toner and ink were reasonable for the price per page.  Then the printer makers worked it out so the cheap price of a great printer would attract sales, with your first set of cartridges included.  The first hit is free, after that, they got you hooked.  They make way more money selling ink than they do printers.

If you insist on an inkjet or inkwell make sure you get one that has a built in nozzle cleaning program.  I was always partial to Epson, excellent value, but that was like 15 years ago.  I have no idea what's out there anymore.  I'm still printing off my 20 year old HP LaserJet 1020 that I buy a new toner cartridge for about every three years.  When I need to print photographs, I just go to Walgreen's and use their kiosk.  In the long run, it's cheaper.

Gave up on "ink" anything years ago.

Brother laserjet for day-to-day printing duties.  So far I've had to replace a toner cartridge about once every 2 years.  Otherwise, it just prints.

If I need to do color anything (99.9999% picture prints), I upload to Costo photos and have them mail me prints.

I hate consumer/home printers.  Will never buy an HP again.  Tried a Canon and that shit the bed too after a few years.

A few months ago I went with the EcoTank ET-2850 and had work pay for it.  Got it on sale at Staples.  So far so good, but time will tell.

https://epson.com/For-Work/Printers/Inkjet/EcoTank-ET-2850-Wireless-Color-All-in-One-Cartridge-Free-Supertank-Printer-with-Scan%2C-Copy-and-Auto-2-sided-Printing/p/C11CJ63202

1 minute ago, YankeeSC said:

I hate consumer/home printers.  Will never buy an HP again.  Tried a Canon and that shit the bed too after a few years.

A few months ago I went with the EcoTank ET-2850 and had work pay for it.  Got it on sale at Staples.  So far so good, but time will tell.

https://epson.com/For-Work/Printers/Inkjet/EcoTank-ET-2850-Wireless-Color-All-in-One-Cartridge-Free-Supertank-Printer-with-Scan%2C-Copy-and-Auto-2-sided-Printing/p/C11CJ63202

I've had a Canon Mf634Cdw for over 5 years and no bed poop in sight.

As with all these things, YMMV and samples of 1 are statistically insignificant.

I don't think getting your employer to pay for it makes an EcoTank ET-2850 a professional printer :icon_e_biggrin:

I run an HP color laserjet.  Since it has 4 cartridges, it is more expensive to replace 4 toners, but that said, they also last thousands of pages over years, and I can replace only the color I need to.  I still am using the original C, M, and Y cartridges after owning this printer probably 3 or 4 years, with at least 30% life left on em IIRC.  The print settings also can specify when the printer will use color or just the (in mine, high yield) black toner.  I do print enough in color to justify using a color laser, but a basic B&W laser is significantly cheaper, still should last years with infrequent printing.  How often is color printing really needed for the average person, anyway?   I've run lasers at home for probably 25 years, and I'm pretty sure I've only had 3 units, all HPs.  Go (HP) laser unless you absolutely have to have color (then consider HP color laser after researching if toner prices are palatable).

Thanks for the input everyone.  

Wasn't really considering a laserjet but I think I may look at that option.  I think part of our problem is we can sometimes go a long time between printing anything.  Definetly several weeks if not a month or two sometimes.  I think it was drying out.  It sounds like may not have that problem with laserjet printers?  Or not dry out as fast?

Will have to talk to the wife about if we really need a color printer at all.  Our 17 year daughter is farily "arts & craftsy" and I know she used to print out a lot of stuff in color.  To the point I told her to stop doing it as much.  I think we were probably spending $200 a year or more on cartridges!  She would print several pages of full color pictures rather often.  This was few years ago and she has since calmed down (thank goodness).