Ray Ray

A place to shoot without paying?

I'm looking for a new shooting spot maybe in the sticks were the locals go to pop off some rounds. Not a range but a place where me my friends can shoot LEGALLY outside the town or city's limits. Are there any like that in Jersey?

Ray, if you join Fort Dix, Range 14, which is $60 a year and $3 per hour, you can take 3 guests with you, for $3 each per hour. You can also shoot longarms at a state wildlife management area if you possess a valid NJ hunting licesnse. I personally don't know of anywhere else. Good luck.

Yea, I envy that too. When I visited my friend in Montana, I asked if we could shoot his million guns. We took the 5 seconds to get out the back door, and spent the next few hours blowing through his ammo.

some wildlife management areas ( clinton , etc. ) have ranges that are free - types of arms you can shoot are restricted - check in games laws booklet -

Need a current hunting license to shoot on a WMA range. Also, I think it's restricted to shotgun and rimfire, but I may be mistaken.

K

Aren't there some places out in the sticks were discharging a firearm is legal? I've heard of others on this forum that shoot off of their back deck.

You need to know someone with enough property.

Maybe your right

But way out in the boonies there's got to be places to blast away, no?

we had a few pits, but they have been sold to the state and also to green peace and are now off limits. when i was in my early 20's we had about 15 spots we could go to and their all gone.

actualy took my kids duck hunting when they got their license to an old spot where i use to live and when i got their it was purchased by forsythes and is a wildlife refuge now, use to hunt it every day after school i was very dissapointed. :( their was a great fresh water creek out their that was excellent for duck hunting.

In and around the Pinelands some small municipalities allow shooting on one's own property if you are "X" feet from the nearest neighbor, etc. The other day I was the only person at the range I belong to and I could hear a local landowner shooting in his own yard. I also passed by a house in the Chatsworth area recently and the lady of the house was shooting targets set up in her driveway. Sometimes I forget I'm in NJ :D

In and around the Pinelands some small municipalities allow shooting on one's own property if you are "X" feet from the nearest neighbor, etc. The other day I was the only person at the range I belong to and I could hear a local landowner shooting in his own yard. I also passed by a house in the Chatsworth area recently and the lady of the house was shooting targets set up in her driveway. Sometimes I forget I'm in NJ :D

What range do you go to?

That went along the same lines as the dinosaurs. There used to be plenty of free space back in the day, but that changed when everyone started moving in and building. Even though there might be enough land, you'll always encounter some a..hole calling the police. Then there's the litter problem. A lot of those out of the way shooting sites have turned into dump sites.

The other day we lit off a little fire in the back yard so we could sit around with friends and just chat in the evening. In 20 minutes, we had the local fire dept. storming into the yard

because some neighbor smelled smoke in the area. So you could imagine when someone hears

gunfire..... :o

I guess I mine as well join Cherry Ridge. It's way out in the sticks, about an hour from my house, but it costs I think 135 bucks a year.

Will you shoot there more than 10 times a year? Probably. So $13.50 per visit and no time limit? Good value IMO.

i have a spot in Warren Groove NJ. it's on a Air Natinal Gaurd base and i have been shooting there for about 15 some odd years. i have never had a problem there, in the past i have even asked permission at the base at the end of the road and always got a "hell yea, have fun". it's just a sand pit with a very large berm. i love it, it's on my way home i just do some minor 4 wheeling, not really 4x4 but you couldn't get there in a honda, park the truck, set up some targets and start shooting.:)

I assume that the entrance is on 539. Which one?

it is off 539, it's a little bit more than half way between the GSP and WG, closer to WG, about 3-4 from WG. it's the entrance with the sign saying something about Air National Guard Range, something or another, there is a stop sign, it's a very wide road, 2 lane dirt road. once you turn onto the dirt road go to the top of the first hill and turn right, you can't miss the turn then follow the dirt road at 12 o'clock for about 20-30 seconds, there is one part in the road where your front passenger side tire and your rear driver side tire will be on the road and the other two probably won't be and your truck might groan a little, my 97 suburban does anyways. the pit is ahead on the right, can't miss it. you will see some stuff all shot up, i have been to this spot many, many times and only once there was somebody else there, after spilling the beans on here that might change. good luck. sometimes there are planes flying around during the day, probably not a good time to shoot.

I know exactly where you're talking about. I haven't been there in about ten years. I wouldn't sweat the crowding. Most of these folks live up north.

Correct, that's a bit of a drive from Bayonne. If that was anywhere near me I'd be all over it.

a drive from Bayonne

Years ago you probably could have gone to the meadowlands or Staten Island and plinked. We used to go to a quarry near Greenwood Lk. and shoot everything...those were the days! Although I belong Cherry Ridge, I like to go the WMA out by Flatbrook-Roy, there you can shoot rimfire, muzzie, shotgun and bow on different ranges. Someone in your group has to have a current hunting license and I would check for latest info. before you go to make sure it's open at NJF&G.

in another state you can probably shoot in your backyard as long as you have enough land, I remember when I was a kid I went to my mom's friends house in VA and we shot her revolver our in the field. It was like farmland out there, you feel like your in the middle of nowhere.