Sign in to follow this  
Chad

Do you REALLY think ammo prices will drop?

I don't see it dropping too much. The talk is about an ammo shortage due to the wars... but the wars have been going on for close to 8 years now, and there wasn't a shortage before. Stock is still coming in regularly, just in smaller batches.

18 states are trying to pass the "Ammunition Accountability Act", which requires a serial number of every individual round of ammunition. The manufacturers immediately started making less so they aren't stuck with stock. The Act itself is ridiculous, because the serial numbers can't reliably be read or even seen after they're fired, but it didn't stop the ammunition manufacturers from slowing down. So its already had its impact again on the law abiding gun owners. I can understand the manufacturers concerns with having to throw away stockpiles of ammunition and spend the money to get all new equipment to be able to accomplish what the act calls for.

So don't expect ammo prices to steadily come down unless the bills all fail. And its going to be even worse if any state actually passes it. We have a hard time getting ammo shipped to NJ now from alot of retailers, so imagine how bad it would be if the manufacturers had to make special ammo only for our state. Would they even bother, or would it become a defacto ban on all handgun ammunition and all rifles that used those same calibers.

Some of the naked truth of the correlation between the demand and the current operations (and this is not classified) is that while the US military definitely needed a good deal of ammunition... there was a significant percentage that was actually acquired by the US government for the host countries (Iraq and Astan). With the planned major drawback in operational needs in Iraq (plus they have probably finally acquired the means of their own production), it might have some small impact on supply here in the States. The fact is true, but the impact is speculation. We'll see.

On a sidebar, I finally picked up some .223 for my rifle, got some Wolf at $10 box. This was at the Dick's in Princeton. I asked if they were facing shortages, and they said for the long gun calibers the only thing they ran out of consistently was the value packs. But they said they were having some difficulty keeping the pistol ammo stocked. The guy also said that they were about to get some .40 in though (this is today, 10JUL).

much like any bubble, this is coming.

look at it this way, you can walk into most gun stores now and find firearms on the shelf... plenty of black rifles, ammo is coming in. at the very least, not getting any worse.

went into dicks today, and they had all rifle ammo, including 17 hmr, and 22lr.

Why would they?

Similar to how the same model EBR's were selling for $1250 6 months ago, and are now down to $950, the prices on ammo will continue to drop. I do think they will ever get back to what it once was, but will be significantly better then the pricing over the last 6-8 months.

18 states are trying to pass the "Ammunition Accountability Act", which requires a serial number of every individual round of ammunition. The manufacturers immediately started making less so they aren't stuck with stock. The Act itself is ridiculous, because the serial numbers can't reliably be read or even seen after they're fired, but it didn't stop the ammunition manufacturers from slowing down. So its already had its impact again on the law abiding gun owners. I can understand the manufacturers concerns with having to throw away stockpiles of ammunition and spend the money to get all new equipment to be able to accomplish what the act calls for.

So don't expect ammo prices to steadily come down unless the bills all fail. And its going to be even worse if any state actually passes it. We have a hard time getting ammo shipped to NJ now from alot of retailers, so imagine how bad it would be if the manufacturers had to make special ammo only for our state. Would they even bother, or would it become a defacto ban on all handgun ammunition and all rifles that used those same calibers.

Tell them to call me if they need extra stock taken off their hands. I'd even pick it up. =-)

You have to love feel good/do nothing legislation...