m3coupe4me

'Compact' models legal?

I am not a lawyer, nor a LEO, but that is the first time I have heard that. There are length of barrel restrictions on rifles and shotguns, but NOT on pistols. Plus firearms dealers all over the state carry compact models, so I am going to say that they are legal. The thing to keep in mind with handguns in the magazine capacity can not exceed 15 rounds. I'm not familiar with Glocks, but if it's a compact model I do not believe it can hold 15, so you should be fine.

Yes. The main restriction is a mag limit of 15 rounds. There are some other rules but they don't apply to a Glock 23 since it doesn't have them.

Basically if a dealer will sell it to you, it's legal in NJ.

Maybe you where misinformed about some small pistols which are not allowed to be imported into the country. For instance, the G25 and G28 which are .380. They don't meet the federal laws to qualify for importation.

But as others have said, any "compact" model that is either made in the country, or is already here, is fair game. Did you ever see how small the Ruger LCP is? You could just about shoot your own finger off with it :lol::lol:

i heard about your laws and didn't hear that. why woudl you want a compact if you can't conceal carry it anyways? i'd prefer a duty size if i use it for range purpouses. a compact is good if you travel to places where you can carry. when i'm outside of pennsylvania or when i'm somewhere like a bar, i pack a 38 special... i only shoot enough of it to have an accurate shot. i prefer my smith and wesson .40 cal duty size (still 15 mag so i can take it to a range in the people's republic) for target shooting because it is more accurate and easier to handle. if the mag standard is usualy more than 15, then you can get the california legal 10 round mags.

i heard about your laws and didn't hear that. why woudl you want a compact if you can't conceal carry it anyways? i'd prefer a duty size if i use it for range purpouses. a compact is good if you travel to places where you can carry. when i'm outside of pennsylvania or when i'm somewhere like a bar, i pack a 38 special... i only shoot enough of it to have an accurate shot. i prefer my smith and wesson .40 cal duty size (still 15 mag so i can take it to a range in the people's republic) for target shooting because it is more accurate and easier to handle. if the mag standard is usualy more than 15, then you can get the california legal 10 round mags.

Many people on this board have non resident concealed carry permits for florida or Utah, and thus carry when in other states.

others, just want a smaller handgun.

Look at it this way.... why would anyone need a Full size desert eagle? but they buy them anyway.

@CCPhilly

Well, for me, since I'm a thin dude with medium strength, I was considering the weight savings. The full size handguns feel a bit much in my hands, but the compacts seem just right. Maybe it's just me?

the smith compact fits my hands perfectly, though I prefer full size handguns, and I am by no means a big guy. You will find the recoil on the compacts will be alot more snappy than anything else out there.

excuse my ignorance... i forgot some people are little or have smaller hands...

good point. i like the sw MP compacts. for cc, i usually go for the 38/357 revolvers though. idk... snubbies are just cool.

I agree with you that snubbies are cool, and I generally dislike glocks, but you can have 5 shots of .38spl, or with the g26, 11 rounds of 9mm in about the same size.. combined with the generally poor hit ratio of defensive shootings.. The more bullets the better IMO

I initially got a sub compact thinking it would just feel better in my hands (I've got sausages for fingers), but I came to realize that it makes no difference. So, my next pistol is going to be a full-sized duty-type pistol. But as for my SC, I agree with Digz... I'm not going to be in NJ forever, so, when that day does come, I'll be ready to cc 8-)

I initially got a sub compact thinking it would just feel better in my hands (I've got sausages for fingers), but I came to realize that it makes no difference. So, my next pistol is going to be a full-sized duty-type pistol. But as for my SC, I agree with Digz... I'm not going to be in NJ forever, so, when that day does come, I'll be ready to cc 8-)

rotfl! yall are trying to get out... :lol:

we will welcom you provided you bring conservative values or at least find proven pro 2a (what we call it in our pa constitution) liberals... (preferably the conservatives)

I like full size and even longer. I own a Springfield Armory Longslide and a Glock 24. Both have 6" barrels. I find the recoil is softer and they sight more easily. You will find the compacts are hard to aim and hitting targets further than close range very difficult. I am sure there are people that can hit targets are longer ranges, say 35 yards, with a compact but they are experienced and practice a lot. I suggest you try the compacts before you buy. If you can't hit your target, shooting can be frustrating.

I like full size and even longer. I own a Springfield Armory Longslide and a Glock 24. Both have 6" barrels. I find the recoil is softer and they sight more easily. You will find the compacts are hard to aim and hitting targets further than close range very difficult. I am sure there are people that can hit targets are longer ranges, say 35 yards, with a compact but they are experienced and practice a lot. I suggest you try the compacts before you buy. If you can't hit your target, shooting can be frustrating.

compact smith and wessons are still accurate as hell. especially in 9mm or 40cal

the smith compact fits my hands perfectly, though I prefer full size handguns, and I am by no means a big guy. You will find the recoil on the compacts will be alot more snappy than anything else out there.

I agree with you 1000% Maksim :D .

I have the Smith and Wesson M&P compact in .40 and it fits in my large hands very nicely with the pinky extender on the magazines (purchased them for all 4 magazines). It feels very natural and I am able to shoot it with nearly identical recoil and accuracy results as the full sized M&P 40 at the local range... I am extremely satisfied with my purchase.

Good luck with getting the compact! Go for it.

EDIT: The .40 in M&P compact vs. full size has a very very similar recoil...Other guns have a bigger difference in recoil when comparing the compacts vs. full size, but this is DAMN close. A lot less than I anticipated

I was told that compact models aren't legal in NJ. In specific, I was considering the Glock 23 as my first handgun purchase. Anyone know if this is true?

Thanks

I think you'll like the Glock 23. I am a big guy with big hands but short stubby fingers. The Glock 23 I owned was really nice. I only got rid of it because I didn't like the caliber. I switched to 9mm and got the full size Glock (the full size fit my hands better) and couldn't be happier with it. I love a gun that likes to run dirty. That thing goes many range sessions without the mandatory cleaning I give my other guns.

My only suggestion would be to try the Glock 19 (the same gun as Glock 23m, but in 9mm), unless you're stuck on getting a 40 cal. I find its shooting characteristics to be much friendlier (i.e. quick to get back on target, less snappy). It's not that I'm recoil averse (I own 44 mags, 45ACP, 10mm, 357, etc). It's just that the 40 seems to have a snap the others don't.

Lunker

The G23 is used for duty use by many departments, mine included. It is an outstanding duty firearm. Outstanding as long as the slide doesn't fall off halfway through a competitive event. :ugeek:

I tend to like the look of the Springfield EMP 45ACP. I think she is only a 6+1 and if i ever do need it for home protection then i dought that I'll be shooting from 30 feet away, I would have to say if I ever did need it to protect myself it would be from close range like 5 or 10 feet away.

The EMP is NICE. An Army buddy of mine that I visited a few weeks ago has one, and they're comfortable and smooth. I'm not a pistol enthusiast or expert, but I think its the best carry pistol out there. Extra magazines aren't bulky, and fit comfortably in pockets without looking like you're carrying around magazines. If I was going to get a HD pistol, I think I would still prefer a full-sized 1911, only because it would carry maybe an extra round or two.