Townhall90

Suggestions on buying my first gun safe

So, my father passed a few months back and left me all of his firearms. The total lot is 12 long guns and 10 pistols. What do you folks recommend I look at in terms of brand/size etc? I own 2 pistols so far and plan to purchase more guns going forward as my father passing has thrust me back into the gun market. Thanks in advance for any anecdotal advice or suggestions!

The blurb for most guns safes is horribly optimistic. A "12 gun" rifle safe assumes you have no scopes or other attachments. I would say start with at least double the size of your current collection of rifles and then add extra space for the handguns.

Don't get hung up on fire rating I've seen guns destroyed in top fire rated safes even in small house fires.  They are fire resistant but not steam proof.  Get a safe that foes what safes do.  Get the biggest you can afford u will fill it.  Tractor supply is always running sales

• Like 3

Sorry to hear about your father. 

IMO a lot depends on what you're getting the safe(s) for.  If it's for general security to keep kids out and discourage smash and grab burglars, then I think you'd be fine looking for something on sale at one of the big box stores.  As someone already mentioned, the size advertised by the manufacturers is optimistic/wrong, so plan accordingly.

If it was me, I'd get two medium sized safes instead of one massive one.  Put one upstairs and one downstairs, or one in the garage and one in a bedroom, etc, etc.  Not only will it be MUCH easier to maneuver the smaller safes and find a good spot for them, but it allows you to have access to the guns from multiple places.

If you want real fire protection and something 'theft-proof', you're looking at big dollars (which I don't have) so others would need to chime in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

one in the garage

Unless it already has some kind of feet, If you do put in garage on a concrete floor, whether you bolt it down or not put a liner underneath it like plywood, mat from Home Depot or a small homemade skid.

15 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

Unless it already has some kind of feet, If you do put in garage on a concrete floor, whether you bolt it down or not put a liner underneath it like plywood, mat from Home Depot or a small homemade skid.

Expanding on this, Collectibles Insurance Services (much less expensive than NRA firearms insurance) wanted a basement safe raised 6" above the floor.  I think that was due to a combination of no sump pump, and home within several hundred yards of a stream...being a hundred feet above the stream didn't seem to matter.

My condolences.  I had the same happen to me about 3 years ago.  I had one large long gun safe at the time but I am on to a second and larger one now, using both.

My first did not have electric on the inside but my second did.  Shortly after getting the second I went and drilled to wire the first one up.  Mainly for a golden rod:

https://www.amazon.com/GoldenRod-Dehumidifier-Installation-Operation-Prevention/dp/B07W8JFN2F

but also for LED lighting.  

As others replied you can't go by the manufacturer gun count if you have optics on your long guns.  Maybe divide that rating by 2?

I also like foam handgun organizers:

https://www.amazon.com/Hunthor-Handgun-Holding-Organizer-Accessories/dp/B0BNK9ZVS7/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1DMCKAUN0NXSP&keywords=foam+pistol+organizer&qid=1688648132&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=foam+pistol+organizer%2Csporting%2C87&sr=1-4

(maybe not this exact one just an example)  I can cram more in the safe without banging and scratching everything.

Some safe doors have different storage options, some can be modified and some can't (sewn in pockets.)  One of my safes has storage for long guns on the door and I am not a fan.  The buttstock tray takes up considerable room on the inside and I think it actually less efficient use of space.  That was on my first safe not the second.

My thoughts on used...  It would have to be one hell of a deal for me.  I'm not as young as I used to be and I'm not looking to bust my back so I'd rather hire movers and also add the cost of a locksmith to set a new combination.  Then the cost to get rid of the locksmith who knows the new combo (just kidding!)

My first safe is from Browning and the second from Liberty Safe.  The liberty came with more bells and whistles but I paid more for that.  I'm old school so no electronic locks on large safes but I don't have a problem with electronic for wall/bedside/portable storage as they are cheaper and I don't mind having to cut into them it if needed.

• Like 1

If you have a local locksmith in the area, check out what they offer. As someone mentioned before, used safes can be a good deal and locksmiths will sometimes have what you're looking for. Bought my last couple of safes from a local locksmith. They may be a little more expensive but sometimes the extra service is worth it. I'm also a recent convert to the concept of decentralization, ie keeping safes in multiple locations, plus it allows you to use smaller safes. There's also things like Snap Safe and Secure It locking cabinets, which can be delivered to you, assemble it yourself, and if necessary disassembly for if you decide to move out.

• Informative 1

A long winded response... sorry.

I am asked this question often & my opinion is that unless you have collectible or irreplaceable items, a fire-rated safe is overkill. 

I use several steel gun cabinets for long guns. I use a wall of school lockers for ammo. I use steel blueprint shelves handguns. They all lock. All my cabinets were bought off of CL or FB.  All told, I have spent maybe $200 of all of this steel.

My gun storage needs are simple.. keep the guns protected and keep kids out. My kids shoot with me and have long ago lost any interest in messing with my stuff. They also know that if they are caught trying to access the guns, they are in for a world of misery.

As for bad guys... If you break into my home.... after walking past the alarm company signs and stickers & after setting off the alarm system & dealing with the dog, if you have the time to get into the basement and have brought the tools needed to open my steel gun cabinets (I keep my prying tools in the garage)..... have at it! 

You, the bad guy, have committed a serious crime and will likely be caught. You have been on my neighbor's cameras driving in the neighborhood. My cameras got you entering my house. Police response to my house is around 4 minutes, but you don't know that. Good luck walking down the street to your car with my guns. If you are a serious burglar, you have skipped my modest house entirely because of the alarm system. If you are a tweaker looking for a fast hit, you have gone in looking for money and RX bottles. You will not have time to get to my guns.

Spending many hundreds or thousands on a "fire-rated" safe is not worth it to me personally. They are heavy, hard to move around, expensive and while they may provide some heat protection, they will not protect from water & moisture, which is what will kill your guns in a house fire. If my house catches on fire to point of getting to my safe, I have bigger problems than my nice but not unique guns.

Seriously look at what your storage needs are. I would rather spend the money on other things.

I have 3 safes - one for my long guns, one for handguns and a quick-access one for my night-stand gun.  As others mentioned, buy bigger than you need, it's amazing how they multiply when they're in the safe.  I started with a small safe from Harbor Freight (I know, don't laugh) when I inherited a couple handguns, thinking I'd never need anything bigger.  It was about a square foot in size and I fit 8 handguns in it.  After that I went to a 10-gun safe from Tractor Supply - that lasted a year and I sold it on FB.  I now have 2 24-gun safes for secure storage and am out of room in them, plus the quick-access one.  Safes are like garage space - no matter how big you start with you'll outgrow it.

Given the title of this thread I'm cross posting from the Liberty Safe thread. The following may be of interest to those considering buying a 'safe'.

Also, anyone considering purchasing a 'safe' (read Residential Security Container) should explore this site throroughly.

Honest Gun Safe Reviews, Trusted Since 2013 - Gun Safe Reviews Guy

I have the Snap Safe Titan XL.  It holds about 10 long guns,  a bunch of ammo for weight,  and a nice shelf system that stores the handguns nicely.  I cant seem to find this model for sale anywhere lately.  Maybe they stopped making them.  They dropped it off and I carried it in piece by piece.  I love this thing.  You are not getting into it with a pair of screwdrivers.  By the time they get the grinder going the cops should be there if I am not. snapsafesupertitan.jpg.0840b70e46a5724c3f7b8d6b6a2831e8.jpg

• Like 1

I had 2 24s at one time, now down to one 24 gun safe. Don't get electronic! Get a dial safe. I use silicone sacks on all firearms. Never an issue. Stack long guns up and down. Get many more in safe. Tag label all socks. Easy to find the one you need. I do have a smaller handgun safe and legal docs. Gold bars make that one a lot heavy!!

You forgot to add a couple of nasty rescue pitties.

On 7/7/2023 at 9:17 AM, dajonga said:

A long winded response... sorry.

I am asked this question often & my opinion is that unless you have collectible or irreplaceable items, a fire-rated safe is overkill. 

I use several steel gun cabinets for long guns. I use a wall of school lockers for ammo. I use steel blueprint shelves handguns. They all lock. All my cabinets were bought off of CL or FB.  All told, I have spent maybe $200 of all of this steel.

My gun storage needs are simple.. keep the guns protected and keep kids out. My kids shoot with me and have long ago lost any interest in messing with my stuff. They also know that if they are caught trying to access the guns, they are in for a world of misery.

As for bad guys... If you break into my home.... after walking past the alarm company signs and stickers & after setting off the alarm system & dealing with the dog, if you have the time to get into the basement and have brought the tools needed to open my steel gun cabinets (I keep my prying tools in the garage)..... have at it! 

You, the bad guy, have committed a serious crime and will likely be caught. You have been on my neighbor's cameras driving in the neighborhood. My cameras got you entering my house. Police response to my house is around 4 minutes, but you don't know that. Good luck walking down the street to your car with my guns. If you are a serious burglar, you have skipped my modest house entirely because of the alarm system. If you are a tweaker looking for a fast hit, you have gone in looking for money and RX bottles. You will not have time to get to my guns.

Spending many hundreds or thousands on a "fire-rated" safe is not worth it to me personally. They are heavy, hard to move around, expensive and while they may provide some heat protection, they will not protect from water & moisture, which is what will kill your guns in a house fire. If my house catches on fire to point of getting to my safe, I have bigger problems than my nice but not unique guns.

Seriously look at what your storage needs are. I would rather spend the money on other things.

Not to mention fire rated safes really do nothing in an actual fire.  Yes they are fire resistant but are not water and steam resistant.  Ant thing more than a small fire guns are that any ways

On 9/14/2023 at 7:11 PM, Tunaman said:

I have the Snap Safe Titan XL.  It holds about 10 long guns,  a bunch of ammo for weight,  and a nice shelf system that stores the handguns nicely.  I cant seem to find this model for sale anywhere lately.  Maybe they stopped making them.  They dropped it off and I carried it in piece by piece.  I love this thing.  You are not getting into it with a pair of screwdrivers.  By the time they get the grinder going the cops should be there if I am not. snapsafesupertitan.jpg.0840b70e46a5724c3f7b8d6b6a2831e8.jpg

Forget the ammo! I use the gold bars.