gleninjersey

Shoprite Rib Roasts Sale!

AWESOME sale but ends today.  Sorry for not posting yesterday but had minor emergency right after shopping.

$12.99 a pound regular price, $4 a pound off with your Shoprite rewards card / phone number THEN $4 a pound off with coupon (as for one at customer service).  Final price, $4.99 a pound!!

Buy it cheap, stack it deep (in the freezer)!.

$320 original price to about $120 after all discounts!  Rib steaks and roasts for hamburger meat prices.

They have smaller pre-cut roasts.  Grab one of the butcher workers if you want a Fred Flinstone side slab like I got.  I asked for the biggest one they had.

Screenshot_20231224-140156_Signal.jpg

Screenshot_20231224-114030_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231224-140031_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231224-140108_Gallery.jpg

3 hours ago, Bomber said:

Tricky the way they wrote that add "Final cost $8.99" then in smaller print they put the $4.99 price.

I can see why I missed that.

My buddy who told me of the sale said they do it again the week before Easter.

Will try to remember to "resurrect" this thread then. :)

Looks like I should have read the details of the email flyer they sent me. Thanks for spelling it out.

Perhaps someone will review the meat quality when they do one up.

Bon appetite!

4 hours ago, Tunaman said:

I got one it was 47 bucks.  I deboned it and got 10 one inch steaks out of it!

I did the same with a five pounder my wife picked up the first day of the sale.  Sliced into one inch steaks for pan frying, then trimmed the ribs and seared, then braised em.

I was not terribly impressed with the meat's flavor, but it was very tender.

On 12/25/2023 at 10:50 AM, 45Doll said:

Looks like I should have read the details of the email flyer they sent me. Thanks for spelling it out.

Perhaps someone will review the meat quality when they do one up.

Bon appetite!

I cut up into roasts and steaks.  I don't really have the correct knives for this endeavor but did the best I could. Will be correcting that soon.

The steak was YUGE.  2.5 - 3 inches thick?  Cooked it on our gas grill using only salt and pepper to flavor it.

Seared each side for about 5 minutes.  Turned off middle burners and only had two side burners on.  Put steak in middle to cook it indirectly.  Turned it four times total after about 5 minutes each time.  Let rest about 6 minutes after removing from grill 

It came out pretty darn good!  Medium to medium rare depending on how thick the portion was.  My wife and I shared it.  Still had a small amount left over.

20231226_194725.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

I did the same with a five pounder my wife picked up the first day of the sale.  Sliced into one inch steaks for pan frying, then trimmed the ribs and seared, then braised em.

What did you use to cut them into 1 inch thick steaks?  I need to buy a decent knife to break down large cuts.

15 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

What did you use to cut them into 1 inch thick steaks?  I need to buy a decent knife to break down large cuts.

You don't need a special knife if you are doing it only occasionally, but you do need a sharp blade.  I used an extremely sharp  Japanese kitchen knife . 

I watch a YouTuber who shows how to break down large primal cuts and save money.  He's coming out with these knives.

One is a10” Breaking Knife for $49.99 and the other is a 6” Boning Knife for $34.99.  

Thinking of picking them up.  He's sending out a coupon on New Years Day.  He was hoping to have them out before Christmas but it didn't work out that way.

Screenshot_20231227-180407_Gmail.jpg

3 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

Thinking of picking them up.

I would think about getting a better quality knife. That youtube knife doesn't appear to have a full tang.   Zweilling or Wusthof is a good place to start.  My J. A. Henckel knives are 30 years old and as good as they day I unboxed them. 

I also like Japanese knives, I have a couple, and they are awesome.  My favorite is made of Damascus steel, it keeps a very keen 12 degree edge and is well balanced.  Japanese knives are generally thinner, but the folded steel makes them very strong, like a samurai sword.

Good knives are like good tools, they make the job easier and are made to last.  But you don't need every specialized tool unless you will be doing that specialty very often.  If all you have ever used is an average knife, you will be impressed once you get your hands on a top quality knife.  There is a noticeable difference.

• Informative 1

37 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Zweilling or Wusthof is a good place to start.

I can vouch for Wusthof. We've had a set of Wusthof knives for over 30 years. Finally this year the 8" 'slicing' knife dropped to the floor and the blade snapped in half. We sent it back to Wusthof with their lifetime warranty. They examined the knife and sent us a credit voucher for $140 to use to purchase the knife of our choice off their website.

We chose a similar one, and boy is that sucker sharp! Really! Made me a little nervous the first couple times I used it. It would have no problem cutting off one of my digits.

So they honored their lifetime warranty, and are still making awesome knives.

We have experience with Henckel too. A similar company and product.

• Informative 1

25 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

and boy is that sucker sharp! Really! Made me a little nervous the first couple times

I was that way with the Japanese Damascus knife, mildly terrified perhaps.  Insanely sharp out of the box and a different style handle that I was not accustomed to.  I nicked myself several times when I first got it.

I recall watching some chef show many years ago, the chef kept saying "let the knife do the work for you". and suggested that if you have to work at cutting whatever it is you are cutting, the knife is either dull, a bad design or not the best type for the kind of cutting being done.  I didn't really understand what he meant until I had a superior quality knife in my hands.

• Informative 1

Prepare thy self!  And make some room in your freezer!    Sale starts on Sunday!!

Looks like it has gone up a dollar a pound(see first post) from the last year's Christmas sale price.  Thanks Joe Biden.

You aren't limited to what is out on the floor.  Ask one of people who work in the meat department to get you the largest size your freezer and wallet can tolerate.

Make sure you are a member of their "frequent shopper" list.  You have to put you phone# in for the additional $2 a pound discount.

I'll try to leave you guys some!!  Yabba dabba do!!

Screenshot_20240322-190418_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 7:21 PM, gleninjersey said:

Make sure you are a member of their "frequent shopper" list.  You have to put you phone# in for the additional $2 a pound discount.

$4.99 lb. was a good deal, $5.99 eh, not so much IMO. ( a 20% increase in three months).

BTW you can also clip the coupon.