sroc112

How often to clean

Does anyone here do anything other than clean their guns after each range trip? I was always adamant about cleaning as soon as I got home from the range. However, my current living situation is a bit unique right now. My wife amnd I sold our home and are staying with family. They are not gun friendly people therefore my guns are at an FFL storage facility. When I do start going back to the range I'll need to first pick up the guns, go to range, drop guns back off, then go home. I'll have no where to really clean them before returning to storage, as most ranges I know of don't have anywhere that they will let you sit down to break down firearms and clean them.

So my choices would likely be to drop them at a gunsmith for a cleaning every once in a while for the duration that we are still living with family. In doing so, due to cost, I'd prefer to not do this after every trip. 

I'm speaking in regard to mainly long runs. Long range hunting rifles or shotguns where maybe they are each getting 30-50 rounds put through them per range session.

Any real harm in not cleaning these after each trip? Can I hold off for 2-3 trips, maybe every 2 or 3 months have a cleaning done?

1 hour ago, sroc112 said:

Does anyone here do anything other than clean their guns after each range trip? I was always adamant about cleaning as soon as I got home from the range. However, my current living situation is a bit unique right now. My wife amnd I sold our home and are staying with family. They are not gun friendly people therefore my guns are at an FFL storage facility. When I do start going back to the range I'll need to first pick up the guns, go to range, drop guns back off, then go home. I'll have no where to really clean them before returning to storage, as most ranges I know of don't have anywhere that they will let you sit down to break down firearms and clean them.

So my choices would likely be to drop them at a gunsmith for a cleaning every once in a while for the duration that we are still living with family. In doing so, due to cost, I'd prefer to not do this after every trip. 

I'm speaking in regard to mainly long runs. Long range hunting rifles or shotguns where maybe they are each getting 30-50 rounds put through them per range session.

Any real harm in not cleaning these after each trip? Can I hold off for 2-3 trips, maybe every 2 or 3 months have a cleaning done?

I've always felt that gun ranges that offer storage should also offer customers a place where people can sit and clean their guns. After all, some people park their guns in storage lockers permanently, and everyone who does that would have the same exact dilemma you describe.

• Agree 1

I used to be like you, cleaning after just about every range trip. 

I don't do that any more. I have handguns with over 1000 rounds through them since they were last cleaned. I just add oil as needed. 

I don't shoot rifle nearly as often as handgun and I can't remember when I last cleaned one. 

Everything gets wiped down with a silicone infused cloth before going back in the safe. 

One of my 1911's was slowing down during a match last month. Being cold didn't help. I added oil and it returned to normal function. 

Defensive guns get more diligent care. 

It depends...  Depends on the ammo, depends on the gun and how finicky some guns are.  I try to avoid issues to have a more pleasant range trip and find cleaning after each trip helps with that especially semi-auto .22s or any other dirty cartridges.  I also like to see how things are wearing internally, check for rust and inspect for any issues but I'm sure my process is overkill.

I don't really agree with the 'just add oil' crowd.  In my mind this is forcing foreign material where it should not be and may lead to excessive wear.

I'd rather not have anyone else cleaning my gear.  I'd rather fuck it up myself :)

I agree that if a range provides storage lockers they should provide a safe room/cleaning area.

Do you take any friends shooting or if they have guns of their own perhaps ask if you can bring them lunch and have a cleaning party at their place?

On 2/21/2024 at 8:44 AM, 1LtCAP said:

i clean when i feel a change in the way they're acting. you can feel the slide being a little slower.....or not as smooth.

This is a big indicator for me as well. If there's any resistance besides the spring, it needs to be cleaned and/or lubed.

I shoot many of my guns once every few months, so those get a meticulous cleaning since they're essentially going into storage. A light rub of oil on all the metal parts as well. If I haven't shot something in like 3-4 months I'll give it a cleaning as well.

If I'll shoot it again soon, I at least make sure the bore, breech face and feeding ramp are clear of any excessive dirt or debris. I like starting range sessions with a shiny bore. Bore snakes are good here. They're also handy for clearing the gunk on revolver cylinders if they're dirty to the point it's hard to load or eject.

Some guns specifically shouldn't be completely taken down/cleaned for routine maintenance. Eg. the gas system in M1A rifles can be left alone as long as the piston moves smoothly.

Most guns are designed to function despite being dirty. AR-style guns pummel the bolt with the brunt of all the dirt and it will keep kicking so-long as it's well-oiled.

Some guns are finnicky. Eg. you might start getting failures to feed because the feeding ramp is rough with dirt. That's definitely time to clean.

So I'd say "once every range trip" is a good baseline. If the range trips are close together, you can wait until you're done with it to fully clean it. If you're shooting it regularly every week then just maintain it to function properly.

I clean after every trip but it includes outdoors and I'll shoot in the rain if it happens to rain that day. I also do a complete tear down, cleaning, and spring replacement after a 5000-7000 rounds. Minus the rain part I think it's extremely excessive. That said though I was at class once and this guy kept having ejection and going into battery issues, the instructor checked the gun and was like when was the last time this was cleaned and they guy basically looked at him like you mean I have to clean it? The chamber had enough build up leading to issues.

So I'm sure there is  happy medium, I think you'll be fine until you find your next home.

I have been cleaning at home, but I don't have a permanent station set up for this, so I need to spend some time rearranging stuff before doing so. I've also thought of cleaning while at the range, so I'm interested in the comments about various ranges not allowing cleaning on-premises. Do you mean that they don't provide a dedicated space to do this, or that they actually forbid the practice? I pay for range time per hour, and, as long as I'm paying for the time, I'm wondering if the range is likely to object if I'm cleaning 1 or 2 handguns instead of shooting them. I know I can ask them, but if it is a general prohibition for a good reason, I'd like to know in advance.

16 minutes ago, Grima Squeakersen said:

I have been cleaning at home, but I don't have a permanent station set up for this, so I need to spend some time rearranging stuff before doing so. I've also thought of cleaning while at the range, so I'm interested in the comments about various ranges not allowing cleaning on-premises. Do you mean that they don't provide a dedicated space to do this, or that they actually forbid the practice? I pay for range time per hour, and, as long as I'm paying for the time, I'm wondering if the range is likely to object if I'm cleaning 1 or 2 handguns instead of shooting them. I know I can ask them, but if it is a general prohibition for a good reason, I'd like to know in advance.

If you were running a commercial range, would like the risk of having to call "clean-up on lane 3" when someone knocks their bottle of solvent over? They would have to shut down the entire line if any of it spilled forward.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Grima Squeakersen said:

I'm wondering if the range is likely to object if I'm cleaning 1 or 2 handguns instead of shooting them

I don't think any range is going to want you taking anything apart on the range itself.  They probably wouldn't want you interrupting the other shooters when they have to call a ceasefire for you to retrieve springs that fly down range, or soaking the bench with solvent.  If they don't provide an area for cleaning it's probably not going to happen there.

I also do not have any permanent location for cleaning.  I have my cleaning gear in plastic tubs/totes that I store in the garage.  I'd setup a space in the garage but too clod in the winter and too hot in the summer so it's either the kitchen table or my desk while watching gun tube :)

Generally, ranges have strict rules about uncased firearms being anywhere but on the firing line.  In other words, if you aren't on the line shooting, your firearm must be in a case.  No opportunity to do any cleaning, and likely no place to do any cleaning.

Like Mr Stu sez, no range is going to expose itself to unnecessary risk.