CX500T

Moving to NJ, trying to make sense of the firearm laws

On 3/13/2024 at 9:31 AM, CX500T said:

Flying own plane isn't an option. First. Can't park it at jfk. Second any place I could park it is now another half hour at least.  Third, by the time you preflight,  file flight plan and get started you are already 30 minute's once you got to the airport. 

If you aren't bringing a plane with you but want access to something to fly for fun, I can recommend a good flying club at KMMU with an IFR-capable C172.  I've been a member there for years.

On 3/14/2024 at 7:57 PM, CX500T said:

If we had a Texas or Florida base I'd have gone there.  Atlanta is pretty much a no go for my wife.  She had a very bad experience when we were stationed in the bible belt from everyone freaking out over her being Jewish and either trying to convert her or shun her.  

It was a weird 3 year tour there.  She refuses to go back to GA or FL north of I-4. 

Welcome to NJ!  I'm sorry (half kidding).  The firearms law here suck but there's more to life than firearms.  

Look at the bright side, you'll have your fighting spirtit re-invigorated!  Make sure to tell all your friends and family to keep fighting the 2-A good fight.  You can scare them with the horror stories of NJ.  Tell them not to let their guard down and that their State could be the next NJ!

How long ago were you stationed in the bible belt?  Things may have changed a lot down there since then?

Give anything that's even somewhat questionable to a good friend or family member in a free State to hold for you.  Bring what you know 100% what jam you up.  There's numerous horror stories about regular law abiding citizens having their lives ruined by NJ's crazy firearms laws.  

When you get here, find a nice deli or bagel joint near your new abode and order yourself a nice pork roll, egg and cheese on a roll with ketchup.  They are delicious!  And ignore anyone that tells you it's "Taylor Ham", egg and cheese.  Ain't nobody got time in their life for such ignorance and negativity!

Hope you've found the answers to all your questions.  If not, continue asking!

Let us know the general area you wind up in.  We have meets up some what frequently during the nicer months for things like clay shoots. 

Good luck!

16 hours ago, 10X said:

If you aren't bringing a plane with you but want access to something to fly for fun, I can recommend a good flying club at KMMU with an IFR-capable C172.  I've been a member there for years.

Thanks. I usually only touch GA when someone needs a Twin Bonanza checkout, which given the limited fleet size is "maybe every 3 years" as I'm one of the few people with enough time in type to keep the underwriters happy, who is still a current CFI, and has a current medical that can be available sometime before the end of time. 

Friends who are moving in with us until their house finishes getting built are more into GA, he's another airline guy, his wife used to own an amphib, forget what it was. It was some flavor of Dehaviland, either a Beaver or a first gen Otter. They might be looking for a good club. 

For your AR-15's see here

Basically, AR-15 rifles need to be "Post-Ban" configuration. 

Can have a pistol grip and detachable magazine, but these are realistically your only 2 evil features

Non-adjustable stock (you can pin an adjustable stock to make it non-adjustable or replace adjuster spring with solid material)

16"+ barrel (AR Pistols are illegal in NJ, but "Non-NFA Others are allowed)

Can have muzzle devices (except flash hider), but must be pin and welded.  

Cannot have a useable threaded barrel (crowned barrel or pin and welded ok).  

10 round mags (not 15)

Cannot have folding stocks

Cannot have supressors

If you have AR Pistols, if you can get them to be over 26", you could convert them to a Non-NFA Other by adding a vertical forward grip (and other things).

If your AR Pistol is less than 26" (cannot have folding stock), you can add a VLTOR buffer tube to get an extra inch.  You can also pin and weld a legal muzzle device to get about 2.5"  

My BIL was in almost the same boat with the airport situation - he's with American.  He moved to Bucks county, PA (North of Philly) so he could be within driving distance of Philly, Newark, JFK and La Guardia.... He did get assigned Philly as his main hub though.

16 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

My BIL was in almost the same boat with the airport situation - he's with American.  He moved to Bucks county, PA (North of Philly) so he could be within driving distance of Philly, Newark, JFK and La Guardia.... He did get assigned Philly as his main hub though.

Yeah. 95% of my flying being out of JFK basically kept all but the closest parts of PA out of contention. We looked, couldn't find anything we liked in the parts of PA that wouldn't have me have an insane drive to work. 

When I'm on reserve and get put on short call, I just need to be able to be at any one of EWR, LGA or JFK (My choice) but even though EWR would be my "Anchor point" for a place in PA, the reality is I get a EWR trip maybe once or twice a year. 

Have you looked at Sparta NJ? It is very close to RT 80 and has a lot to offer. Many pilots live in Sparta that work out of Newark and JFK. Cherry Ridge Range is a great outdoor range but can get crowded on weekends. Make sure you get a taylor ham egg and cheese for your first breakfast LOL Welcome to NJ!

12 hours ago, Travis said:

Pay no attention to the SOUTHERN NJ members who confuse taylor ham as pork roll!!:deadhorse: LOL

If you move north of the Raritan River, the decades upon decades of toxins in the ground from all the heavy industry and chemical plants can damage your brain.

638857182_Porkroll1.thumb.jpg.f60b2df3bf845f404cec4d50d2c24869.jpg

And FWIW, this brand is better than the Taylor brand

1871064444_PORK-ROLLcase.thumb.jpg.393713d2ecbecd178012f5b9bfeff08e.jpg

• Agree 1

On 3/23/2024 at 3:59 PM, Sudsy said:

If you move north of the Raritan River, the decades upon decades of toxins in the ground from all the heavy industry and chemical plants can damage your brain.

638857182_Porkroll1.thumb.jpg.f60b2df3bf845f404cec4d50d2c24869.jpg

And FWIW, this brand is better than the Taylor brand

1871064444_PORK-ROLLcase.thumb.jpg.393713d2ecbecd178012f5b9bfeff08e.jpg

A lot of industrial dumping all over the state.

• Haha 1