silverado427

Container ship hits bridge

27 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Saw that when I woke up this morning - crazy.  Gotta wonder if it's going to cause any copycat style attacks now... sigh.

the big question is.......was it really an accident?  yea i asked the question.

As of 8:40 this morning, the report is that the ship lost propulsion. If you watch the time lapse video where motion is exaggerated, the ship appears to really be drifting when it hits the pier. I really don't think this has anything to do with an 'attack'.

The national and global effect will be the closure of the Baltimore Harbor. I'm not sure if there's another route in or out that can pass ships that size. Lots of cruise ships go in and out of there as well. The interruption of all that cargo traffic won't help price increases either.

Anyone got a cruise planned? 

10 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

Nope, but I'm planning to drive down to Wash D.C. suburbs to visit family Thursday night, and I normally drive 95 through Baltimore. 

Going to be planning an alternate route I guess.

Saw the video early this morning, that was crazy - all the poor people on that bridge.  I read some online rumors that the construction workers on the bridge saw the ship coming and moved their vehicles to block more traffic from coming on the bridge.  If so, that's heroic.

3 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

Nope, but I'm planning to drive down to Wash D.C. suburbs to visit family Thursday night, and I normally drive 95 through Baltimore. 

I just saw a map of the area, and that bridge is on 695 that swings southeast before Baltimore. 95 appears to go straight through. If I remember correctly, depending on where they're heading some drivers take 695 to avoid the direct route through Baltimore. 

I suppose that regardless, traffic will be a mess down there for a while with all the confusion.

More videos from different angles and a couple radio transmissions. The ship put out a Mayday that it lost power, and you can see the ship black out and relight several times prior to the crash. Also, a huge plume of smoke erupts just before it hits, possibly due to an emergency engine restart. There's also some comments on the shipping effects.

Port Of Baltimore Paralyzed After Container Ship Strike Collapses Bridge | ZeroHedgevv

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, 45Doll said:

As of 8:40 this morning, the report is that the ship lost propulsion. If you watch the time lapse video where motion is exaggerated, the ship appears to really be drifting when it hits the pier. I really don't think this has anything to do with an 'attack'.

The national and global effect will be the closure of the Baltimore Harbor. I'm not sure if there's another route in or out that can pass ships that size. Lots of cruise ships go in and out of there as well. The interruption of all that cargo traffic won't help price increases either.

I saw a video where the ship lost power twice (lights shut off).  Guessing this is the cause of loss of control.  You can see they gave it a bunch of power (lots of black smoke) right before impact, guessing to try to correct course but too late.    

Reading that the ship crew put out a Mayday in time for"authorities" to get traffic stopped on the bridge.  Fortuitous!

Radio traffic in the moments before a cargo ship collided with the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore captures how authorities stopped traffic and worked to clear the bridge before the impact.

Officials warned of the ship approaching the bridge, according to a Broadcastify recording of the transmissions.

"I need one of you guys on the south side, one of you guys on the north side, hold all traffic on the Key Bridge. There's a ship approaching that just lost their steering (unintelligible) under control, we've got to stop all traffic," the person said.

In the audio, units reported that the bridge had collapsed about 90 seconds later. CNN has confirmed that the bridge collapsed at 1:27 a.m.

I think it unlikely that this was a terrorist attack. Regardless, is it totally impossible? No.

What's more difficult? Hijacking four airliners and flying them into U.S. properties, or disabling a container ship's engine at a critical moment?

The captain is Ukranian.

A "Black Swan Event" - General Flynn Raises Questions About Baltimore Bridge Collapse | ZeroHedge

There should have been a port pilot on board working the navigation. I'll wait to hear what he/she has to say.

And that we do hear from the pilot.

On 3/26/2024 at 4:47 PM, 45Doll said:

I think it unlikely that this was a terrorist attack. Regardless, is it totally impossible? No.

What's more difficult? Hijacking four airliners and flying them into U.S. properties, or disabling a container ship's engine at a critical moment?

The captain is Ukranian.

A "Black Swan Event" - General Flynn Raises Questions About Baltimore Bridge Collapse | ZeroHedge

There should have been a port pilot on board working the navigation. I'll wait to hear what he/she has to say.

Reports that I've heard were that there was a harbor pilot onboard.  Unconfirmed though.

so here's my deal. even though i asked the question earlier, i really want to believe this was an accident. my problem is that the more i watch the video, the more it looks like it was gonna miss the pylon right up till it hooked a hard right turn. so......are the currents really that strong that they coulda done that? or is it an optical illusion due to the camera angle?

12 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

so here's my deal. even though i asked the question earlier, i really want to believe this was an accident. my problem is that the more i watch the video, the more it looks like it was gonna miss the pylon right up till it hooked a hard right turn. so......are the currents really that strong that they coulda done that? or is it an optical illusion due to the camera angle?

I don't know anything about Baltimore Harbor; but yes; currents really can be that strong.  

A big cargo ship like that isn't very maneuverable.  

Most of the shipboard systems and controls are electric. If the lights go out, they have big, big trouble.

On 3/26/2024 at 4:47 PM, 45Doll said:

The captain is Ukranian.

It's been reported now that there were two harbor pilots on board and 21 crewmen.

The article mentions that there were no cars on the bridge when it collapsed.   Actually, divers found two people trapped in their car.  They were recovered Tuesday afternoon. 

I've watched a lot of "Mighty Ships" series on TV, as well as cruise ship series. It seems prevalent for large ships to have GPS tracking, and possibly guidance. So the path of this ship should be on record somewhere. And one critical fact would be whether or not as the ship approached the bridge it followed the correct path in the harbor channel.

The conspiracy aspect would ask was  one of the electronic guidance/navigation systems hacked to put it on a collision course?

I'm not anxious to find a terrorist attack. But if you'd asked me on September 10, 2001 what were the odds of four hijacked aircraft being successfully flown by amateurs into three iconic American structures...

I will say there's not a doubt in my mind there are nasty people that crossed the border to cause trouble. I just can't be certain how, and how much.

8 hours ago, W2MC said:

I don't know anything about Baltimore Harbor; but yes; currents really can be that strong.  

A big cargo ship like that isn't very maneuverable.  

Most of the shipboard systems and controls are electric. If the lights go out, they have big, big trouble.

if it wasn't deliberatley turned, it had to be currents. watch the video again and look at the smoke coming from the boat. looks like mostly calm winds judging by that.

3 hours ago, dilbert1967 said:

It's been reported now that there were two harbor pilots on board and 21 crewmen.

The article mentions that there were no cars on the bridge when it collapsed.   Actually, divers found two people trapped in their car.  They were recovered Tuesday afternoon. 

watch this video. there were at least 4 stationary construction vehicles.

I saw Lara's interview on Bannon's War Room, and that gave me pause for thought. Her conjecture depends primarily on the veracity of her sources. Regardless, if it's not applicable in any way to this ship disaster, the methods described seem valid to me. And worthy of consideration for the future. As I said before, IMO something is coming. Death by a thousand cuts?

Lara Logan Provides Comprehensive Baltimore Update: Experts in Behavioral Analytics, Counter-Terrorism, and National Security Analyze Recent Incident | The Gateway Pundit | by Jim Hᴏft