Maksim

Picked up My Vepr 223 =)

Found this gem in cabela's in Maine. Seeing it in a case next to a tommy gun, and an aug... just had to pick it up.

came with 14 mags.

4 15rnd mags

8 10rnd mags

1 5rnd mag

and 1 10rnd original russian mag.

also came with cleaning kit and original manual. Looks flawless and unfired. took it down, and very very very little residue of anything.

Wasnt planning on spending so much..... but couldnt pass this up.

differences are...

vs regular Saiga's, aks, this one is built on the rpk receiver, which is a heavier duty receiver, 50% thicker steel than regular russian ak's. amazing workmanship on it. cant wait to take it too the range. almost feel bad shooting it. lol.

Yep. they asked me for my NJ FID, and COE form, and for their document packaged, have a copy of my drivers and FID. This was again at Cabela's, so they were very knowledgeable. then... after the guy who worked at the Gun Library ran nics... handed it to the cashier at the register that ran it through the Cabela's system to verify all laws and stuff.

At the cash register, they had laws for most states... so they knew that no sales of handguns to nj residents, only transfers to FFL. for rifles, FID.

They are not doign any sales to Cali residents or NYC.

there were people in the store from across the country.

this is the same reason how you can go to Pa to buy stuff there.

this is the same reason how you can go to Pa to buy stuff there.

I understand that but that's different. PA is a neighboring state and it chances are good that other NJ residents had purchased there.

As to handguns, no resident of any state is allowed to purchase a handgun in any state but their home residence unless transferred through an FFL.

yes, NJ residents cant buy handguns out of state unless it goes through an NJ FFL, however they can with long guns.

From what the cashier told me, 5 other people from NJ purchased rifles there that day. During the time i was there, there were at least 20 others who bought firearms over a 2 hour period, and most were from out of state, NH, Mass, a couple from CT and NY.

It is not like you are buying from a mom and pop shop that probly only caters to locals. this is Cabela's.

:o

We can buy out of state, only long guns, as long as they are nj legal, and ONLY from an FFL, with them checking our FID and COE.

Everything else is a no no.

the rifle is very nice.. and i ask the following out of curiosity and mean it in no way to be rude.. but you state the metal is %50 thicker.. well does it really matter? i mean doesn't that just make a gun that is %50 heavier? while i can appreciate something being more sturdy than something else.. is there really a point to having the receiver be more sturdy.. i have not been around firearms that much.. but i don't recall hearing about an ak receiver EVER failing. but as i said earlier still really nice!

I kind of agree.. if the thin metal works just as well..

I have a WASR, and i know its the "bottom of the barrel".. but I haven't had one bit of trouble with it, and I haven't even cleaned it in forever...

I did handle a Saiga 7.62x39, and it felt "more sturdy".. Fit and finish was a bit better, and it "felt" like a better rifle, but looking at the mechanics and the parts, its essentially the same.. In my opinion anyways.

accuracy, fit finish.

http://www.robarm.com/RA_vepr_akrpkcomp.htm

ak_receiver_comparison.jpg

I have shot wasr's, romak's, etc... they are great, reliable... but not ar's in the accuracy department.

the vepr is much heavier than anything else.

From robarm... the distributor.

There are three basic types of Kalashnikov rifles on the market. They are the AK47, AKM47, and the RPK (heavy duty receiver). As most of you know, the AK47 was designed as an infantry rifle capable of firing in either the semi-automatic or fully-automatic mode.

The first AK47s had machined receivers. Later the Soviets produced the AKM47s (the "M" stands for modern), the Soviets found that stampings were not only more efficient to produce but resulted in longer receiver life and better accuracy than the milled receivers.

The RPK, on the other hand, was designed as, what we would refer to as a squad automatic weapon. The RPK could also be fired in either the semi or fully-automatic modes. Squad automatic weapons, as deployed, are more frequently fired in the fully automatic mode. For this reason, one usually sees the RPK pictured with an ultra-high capacity magazine such as a 75 round drum or 40 round box magazine instead of the standard 30 round magazine typically used with the AK.

To handle the sustained automatic fire, the RPK was designed to be much stronger. First, the sheet metal of the receiver of the RPK is 50% thicker than that of the AKM47. Next, the trunion of the RPK is larger and stronger than that of the AK47 or AKM47. The trunion is the part to which the barrel is connected and into which the bolt locks. Because the trunion is larger, the receiver must be bulged out to accept the larger trunion. Hence the above mentioned bulges on the RPK receiver.

Most of the MAK90s, WUMs, Maddis, MISR, etc. are semi-automatic sporting rifles based on the AKM47. On the other hand, the VEPR is based on the RPK. This stiffer receiver makes for better accuracy and longer life. This is why the VEPR is a better rifle than the those based on the AK.

The VEPR costs more for a reason - It is simply the finest Kalashnikov based rifle available in the U.S. market.

Copyright 2000 Robinson Armament Co., All Rights Reserved

VEPRs kick ass in reliability, accuracy and handling. Good friend had one in Ga and it was one of the best rifles I have ever.... ever shot. It NEVER failed... ever. I was pinpoint accurate to 200yd, the farthest I ever shot it. Cheap to feed at the time and easy to shoot. The Bentley of AK variants. My WASR wants to be a VEPR when it grows up!!!

Good buy Mak.

can they be modified to look like an ak? (pistol grip etc..)

I am sure... but why? I think one of the features of the vepr is the dragunov factor.

For a good AK, why not go saiga route.

although the vepr 2's that came out a year after.... come with pistol grips.

http://www.ak-47.us/gear/Gear_Review_De ... 1141107750