Sign in to follow this  
Joeybones

PEDIATRIC DOCTOR VISIT

This morning my wife and I took out 2 year old daughter for her 2 year checkup. During the examination the doctor asked medical history questions and keyed the answers in her laptop. Some were quite generic. Are there any smokers in the house ? Any Pets ? Any FIREARMS ?

Before I could respond my wife says , my husband has several but they are all locked in a safe. I was dumbfounded . What does that have to do with my daughters medical history ?

At the end of the visit the doctor (a young female) asked if we had any wueations . I asked what did my firearm ownership have to do with anything ?

She said the American Acadmy of Pediatrics is encouraging doctors to ask that question and to tell parents if their child is going to another child's house for a visit parents should ask if they have firearms.

I responded why didn't you ask if we have a swimming pool ? or Steps ? or household cleaners ? Pointing out children are far more likly to die from an encounter with those things then they are from firearms. She repeated her stance and I said guns kill about 30,000 people in this country a year, doctors kill upwards of 180,000 through medical malpratice. Which means you (the doctor) are more likely to kill my daughter then a gun in my home.

Then my wife told me to zip it.

I responded why didn't you ask if we have a swimming pool ? or Steps ? or household cleaners ? Pointing out children are far more likly to die from an encounter with those things then they are from firearms. She repeated her stance and I said guns kill about 30,000 people in this country a year, doctors kill upwards of 180,000 through medical malpratice. Which means you (the doctor) are more likely to kill my daughter then a gun in my home.

The perfect response. I think a letter to the AAP is in order, asking how such questions have any effect on the quality or substance of pediatric care, and who decided that our ownership of firearms (or pools, or household cleaners, or guard dogs, or anything else) is any of their damn business.

I also asked who she shares that information with ? she said no one , it is just in her file. I think that is BS, that information must go back to AAP or some anti gun group.

My wife she didn't actually say "zip it" but let me know I was maybe getting a tad excited

A few years back I read an article about how likely you are to die from a fall , or bycicle accident ,medical malpractice , drowing as opposed to being shot and killed. Whish I could remember where I read it.

Respond to him like this...

"Please show me your weapons safety and training certifications"

Of course they won't have any so...

Ask them them this:

"since you have no certs, I'll need your Insurer and policy ID to inform them you're practicing beyond your training"

Probably get you kicked out. Good thing too, no need to enrich gun grabbing asshats.