Malsua

4 police officers shot in Lakewood NJ, US

That was my same thought, tony. The Jersey City incident was a bit different, considering this Lakewood operation should have been a bit more controlled (as they were executing a high risk warrant). Maybe that makes this incident look even worse for the PD? I'll be interested in how this story is portrayed.

There is almost never any justification for No-knock warrants.

They may be legal, but they screw it up so much it puts common citizens at risk.

What are they worried about? The guy flushing an ounce of pot or coke? If he's got pounds of it, he isn't going to flush it.

Simply wait outside, call the phone or knock, let the intentions be known and give the guy a few minutes to fully comprehend his situation.

This of course would make the tactical unit of Mayberry RFD useless and we couldn't have that. What would they do with all those toys and black facemasks? Besides, all the canines in the world would rejoice that WOD is over(that's war on Dogs...they shoot them first).

I heard on the news that the officers were on the first floor and the shooter was on the second floor? Was he shooting through the floor? Shooter was hit 9 times and lived. Those cops have to practice more!

Maybe down the stairs?

It would be nice to know what caliber/bullet type they shot the perp with.

more info: http://www.1010wins.com/SWAT-Team-Cops- ... me/5290626

4 SWAT Team Officers Shot in Raid on Jersey Shore Home

LAKEWOOD, N.J. (AP/1010 WINS) -- A gunman opened fire early Thursday on a SWAT team that burst into a home during a drug and gun raid, wounding four officiers while spraying bullets from atop a staircase, authorities said. One officer was critically wounded.

Lakewood Patrolman Jonathan Wilson was shot in the face during the raid, and was in critical but stable condition at a local hospital. Authorities said they were cautiously optimistic he would survive despite being grievously wounded.

"He is in good spirits, and he's communicating," said Ocean County Prosecutor Marlene Lynch Ford.

Lt. Greg Meyer was shot in the foot, and was in good condition at the hospital with bone injuries.

Two other Lakewood officers, Sgt. Louis Sasso and Patrolman Leonard Nieves Sr. were shot in their bulletproof vests, sustaining only minor injuries despite being struck in the chest. They were treated and released from the hospital.

The suspect, Jamie Gonzalez, 39, was in critical condition after suffering numerous gunshot wounds as police returned fire, Ford said.

A second person who was inside the house when the shooting erupted also was in custody, but had not been charged as of Thursday morning. First Assistant Prosecutor Ronald DeLigny said it does not appear the second person was involved in the shooting, but may be implicated in the underlying guns and drugs case that brought the multi-agency task force to the house in the first place.

At 2:25 a.m., the task force consisting of officers from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, New Jersey State Police, the Ocean County Prosecutor's Office and Lakewood police executed a "no-knock" search warrant at the single family home.

As soon as they got inside, a suspect identified as Gonzalez opened fire on them from atop a staircase, striking the four officers,authorities said.

Police returned fire and shot Gonzalez several times. It was not immediately clear how many shots were fired.

Authorities were still searching the house Thursday morning for evidence in the shooting case, as well as the gun and drugs case.

Ford would not characterize the underlying drug and weapons case other than to say it was "big enough to attract the attention of the task force."

The shooting comes more than two months after Jersey City police Det. Marc DiNardo was shot in the face storming an apartment where two armed robbery suspects were holed up. Four other officers were wounded in the gun battle and the suspects were killed.

DiNardo was taken off life support and pronounced dead one day before his 38th birthday.

Lakewood was once known as the resort in the pines for wealthy New Yorkers in the 1800s and early 1900s. The Rockefellers and Goulds built mansions there. The township has a large Orthodox Jewish population and has one of the largest yeshivas in the world, Beth Medrash Govoha.

In recent decades, the population has become more mixed. Some sections of Lakewood have been plagued by troubles with drugs and gangs.

OK so that bit of Lakewood is a actually pretty good, typical suburban development 3-4 BR houses not sure how heavily Orthodox it may be. The guy still may be a gangbanger/illegal or both. Seems from the news reports there was a gaggle of LEOs out there and LPD was the point men I guess its because they are the locals? I dunno how that works. I would hate to see if this guys was a customer of BA or SS in Lakewood iI he was under the ATF microscope he must have been suspected of illegal doings with weapons somehow. Will have to see how it comes out---hope the LPD guys come out OK

According to http://www.app.com/article/20090924/NEW ... ted+murder this did take place on a staircase. The officers were shot with a .38. I also agree with Malusa about them using a no knock warrant s case, especially at 2:30 in the morning. I'm sure you would all reach for your firearm if you heard your door bashing in at 2:30 am. I'm sure all of us would've checked our target and then secure the firearm.

With that said my prayers are with the officers, and I am interested in seeing the conclusion of the investigation.

This ganzalez guy was a good shot, hit all four cops and some multiple times with a .38, he had probably 6 rounds and i assume used them all. I guess when his .38 was empty is when it ended for him. I am thinking those cops are lucky he only was packing a .38 those cops need to look back at the mistakes they made on this one. I assume their will be a major regrouping of their training.

If I get motivated enough, I'll find the web site of the guy who has been tracking the rise of "no-knock" warrants in the US and all the mishaps/injuries that occur on both sides (police and suspects) because of them.

From the perspective of the people inside the house, how do you know whether you have the police/swat or a home invasion robbery gang coming in?

"The Jersey Guys" were just talking about this on NJ 101.5, they quickly dismissed anyone who questioned the no-knock warrant and police tactics as a "jackass". For such a conservative radio station, these guys are hard to listen to sometimes.

I'm sure this guy was a dirt bag and probably did do the stuff the police got the warrant for, but this is America and you are innocent till proven guilty.

But I got to thinking, if this guy WAS lying in wait like the idiots on the radio are speculating.. why would he only have a revolver?

They claim he was an illegal arms trafficker, so I would guess he has a passing knowledge of firearms.

I mean, If I knew I was going to get into a gun fight and couldn't avoid it, I would bring as much firepower as I could.. It wouldn't be a revolver..

I agree CSJ... an arms dealer looking for a fight only pulls out a revolver... eh.

But the fact that the media is calling people jackasses for questioning the failed tactics is ridiculous. People are quick to judge the failed policies and tactics taken in the current operations in Iraq and Afghanistan... but people are jackasses for questioning a failed tactic that got four officers shot? Anybody knows that staircases = choke point. The fact that the cops rumbled and bumbled up said staircase in a supposed arms dealer's house makes me say that there should be A LOT of questions of why that happened.

What I'd like to know is what does it take for the police to get a no knock warrant? Does the suspect have to have a previous record or can they get a "no knock" on anyone. Take a scenario like this...I come into some money and buy up a bunch of my wishlist guns all at once (pre ogam) and the proverbial red flag goes up and they suspect me of being a gun trafficker....will they be kind enough to knock or will they endanger themselves and my family by acting like home invaders?

BTW I do hope for a full recovery of the officers in this mess.

what's wrong with a stake out and taking the guy out on the street when you know he is unarmed? do you have to catch him in the house to use the search warrant? why not just get him on the street and then execute the search of his residence?

what's wrong with a stake out and taking the guy out on the street when you know he is unarmed? do you have to catch him in the house to use the search warrant? why not just get him on the street and then execute the search of his residence?

I dunno if the street is the best scenario. That could put some of the public at risk

Also as far as the whole no knock argument, the element of surprise is an important one in my opinion. if this guy was a gun trafficker, giving him a chance to set up may have led to a much worse scenario than what actually happened. What if he did pull out the big firepower (assuming he had any)? I dunno, thats just my opinion. I do often worry if someone kicks down your door and yells POLICE, how do you know for sure? Im sure that's been tried too by some mutts

I hope for a speedy recovery of the officers that were wounded

I dunno if the street is the best scenario. That could put some of the public at risk

Also as far as the whole no knock argument, the element of surprise is an important one in my opinion. if this guy was a gun trafficker, giving him a chance to set up may have led to a much worse scenario than what actually happened. What if he did pull out the big firepower (assuming he had any)? I dunno, thats just my opinion. I do often worry if someone kicks down your door and yells POLICE, how do you know for sure? Im sure that's been tried too by some mutts

There has been instances of the cops getting the wrong house number.. then kicking in the door and killing the people inside who were legally defending their home.

I'm pretty much against the whole no-knock warrant situation.

But +1 to the review of tactics.

And +2 to the speedy recovery of the officers.

But the fact that the media is calling people jackasses

I would hardly call the Jersey Guys media - they're media as much as Howard Stern is media... Point being, they should be taken with a grain of salt.

"Media" is a general term as applied to the sociological institution "mass media." Unfortunately while they should be taken with a grain of salt, a lot of people derive their own opinions based on these types of people (libs/conservatives both)... people are impressionable and imitative animals, and it does irk me that someone with the responsibility of being a part of that mass media institution would say such things.

But the fact that the media is calling people jackasses

I would hardly call the Jersey Guys media - they're media as much as Howard Stern is media... Point being, they should be taken with a grain of salt.

Screw both of those douchebags. they're the ones who took every opportunity to bad-mouth Edison PD, then published the home address and phone Number of a Trooper who was involved in a fatal MV, then ran like a couple of little girls when the troopers pointed out that with $25.00 ANYONE could get their info from Zabasearch. Carton ended up getting fired over that one, as well as not actually BEING a "Jersey guy" But rossi is STILL a Douche-nozzel of the first order.

Right it's MUCH better to Knock and TELL them you're the Police so they can start shoooting at you through the door. I swear some of you folks need to do a Ride-along and get a clue before you start telling us how to do our Jobs.

Right it's MUCH better to Knock and TELL them you're the Police so they can start shoooting at you through the door. I swear some of you folks need to do a Ride-along and get a clue before you start telling us how to do our Jobs.

Can you set up a ride along? I would love that!