lunker

New Rifle in 308

I have been thinking about picking up a rifle for longer distance shooting and have settled on getting a 308. There are many options for me in terms of bullets (I reload, although only pistol calibers at the moment) and platforms. I am a bit up in the air about which one to buy though. I have a budget unfortunately and can't break the bank on this purchase (i.e. > $1500). My recent HK P7 sale is helping me get closer.

It seems to me that I have a few main options.

There is the AR route. I can get a really nice DPMS LR-308 for a few hundred under my budget. I like the AR platform, but since I already have a Colt Match Target, it doesn't excite me as much as the other options.

I can go the M14 route. I have read some not that great things about Springfield M1A rifles. It seems as though you may have to throw a decent amount of money at one to get it to shoot really accurately. This option intrigues me since I do have an appreciation for military firearm history.

Lastly there is the bolt action rifle route. The only bolt rifle I have is the Winchester (by way ot Toz in Russia) Bearcat 22LR. This also intrigues me, mostly because of the accuracy potential of many bolt actions. I might use less of the expensive 308 ammo than in a semi-auto, which is a plus.

I know there are others out there. PTR makes HK clones that look nice, but I have no experience with them or really any knowledge about them.

Anyway, what would you think I should go with? I am not a hunter, so this is strictly for target purposes (unless someone invites me hunting, at which it's a hunting rifle too. :)).

I have been thinking about picking up a rifle for longer distance shooting and have settled on getting a 308. There are many options for me in terms of bullets (I reload, although only pistol calibers at the moment) and platforms. I am a bit up in the air about which one to buy though. I have a budget unfortunately and can't break the bank on this purchase (i.e. > $1500). My recent HK P7 sale is helping me get closer.

It seems to me that I have a few main options.

There is the AR route. I can get a really nice DPMS LR-308 for a few hundred under my budget. I like the AR platform, but since I already have a Colt Match Target, it doesn't excite me as much as the other options.

I can go the M14 route. I have read some not that great things about Springfield M1A rifles. It seems as though you may have to throw a decent amount of money at one to get it to shoot really accurately. This option intrigues me since I do have an appreciation for military firearm history.

Lastly there is the bolt action rifle route. The only bolt rifle I have is the Winchester (by way ot Toz in Russia) Bearcat 22LR. This also intrigues me, mostly because of the accuracy potential of many bolt actions. I might use less of the expensive 308 ammo than in a semi-auto, which is a plus.

I know there are others out there. PTR makes HK clones that look nice, but I have no experience with them or really any knowledge about them.

Anyway, what would you think I should go with? I am not a hunter, so this is strictly for target purposes (unless someone invites me hunting, at which it's a hunting rifle too. :)).

I have a gorgeous NEVER FIRED Remington 700P 20 inch barrel in .308, if interested

Congrats Chris, it is a nice rifle.

Thanks. It sure is. Now I have do start doing some research on optics and pick up some ammo. I knew this was going to start getting expensive. I better order those reloading dies for .308 soon :D

I have an Armalite AR10A4 that I bought used last Jan. in the Bullet Hole for about $1500. I LOVE this rifle. It's pulling 1.5" 5 round strings at 100 yards w/ SA surplus ammo. I'm itching to get some quality ammo and see what it can do. Also, AFAIK, only Armalite and SA offer 15 round mags available for the AR10 / M1A1. Armalite is currently running a sale on mags. I picked up 5 - 15 round mags for $150 bringing my total up to 11. I understand these rifles can be made to rival bolt actions for accuracy. Scope mounting and ergos, it beats anything else out there. So far, my rifle hasn't experienced any failures of any kind. Recoil is in the M1A1 zone.... you know you're shooting something with more ooomph than a .223, but it's pleasing and not excessive.... kind of like shooting a .45 vs. 9mm.

What are you getting the rifle for? Target shooting, hunting, SHTF, etc?

My next .308 is either a bolt (Savage or Remington) or ........... the Saiga .308. I've been reading about this rifle for a while, have handled a few in stores, and have a real itch for this one. From everything I've read, accuracy is on par w/ a lower end M1A1, they are roughly half the price of a lower end M1A1, scope mounting is better on the Saiga vs. the M1A1, and they are as, or more reliable than a SA M1A1. Only downside I see is access to mags. Also, they look good as stock, a Dragunov clone, or a total conversion. I've read reviews on numerous sites and haven't read a single bad one... unlike any other rifle out there.

I love my AR10, but want something I can knock around a bit, sort of a Glock of rifles.... Saiga.

Bolt action is really what you want for accuracy. Semi-Auto's are fun but you can do a lot more in terms of accuracy for the $$$ spent with a good bolt gun. I have a Rem-700 SPS Tactical in .308, and the out of the box accuracy with some hand loads if fantastic. Several weeks ago, I shot a 1.25" group (6 shots) @ 300 yards!! If I can figure out how to post pics, I will put it up. The best $600. I ever spent. The money you save, you will need for upgrading your loading equipment. Loading for Accuracy with Rifle is COMPLETELY different than loading for Hand Gun. You'll see what I mean soon enough.

Good luck.. it was a nice choice.

I have an Armalite AR10A4 that I bought used last Jan. in the Bullet Hole for about $1500. I LOVE this rifle. It's pulling 1.5" 5 round strings at 100 yards w/ SA surplus ammo. I'm itching to get some quality ammo and see what it can do. Also, AFAIK, only Armalite and SA offer 15 round mags available for the AR10 / M1A1. Armalite is currently running a sale on mags. I picked up 5 - 15 round mags for $150 bringing my total up to 11. I understand these rifles can be made to rival bolt actions for accuracy. Scope mounting and ergos, it beats anything else out there. So far, my rifle hasn't experienced any failures of any kind. Recoil is in the M1A1 zone.... you know you're shooting something with more ooomph than a .223, but it's pleasing and not excessive.... kind of like shooting a .45 vs. 9mm.

What are you getting the rifle for? Target shooting, hunting, SHTF, etc?

My next .308 is either a bolt (Savage or Remington) or ........... the Saiga .308. I've been reading about this rifle for a while, have handled a few in stores, and have a real itch for this one. From everything I've read, accuracy is on par w/ a lower end M1A1, they are roughly half the price of a lower end M1A1, scope mounting is better on the Saiga vs. the M1A1, and they are as, or more reliable than a SA M1A1. Only downside I see is access to mags. Also, they look good as stock, a Dragunov clone, or a total conversion. I've read reviews on numerous sites and haven't read a single bad one... unlike any other rifle out there.

I love my AR10, but want something I can knock around a bit, sort of a Glock of rifles.... Saiga.

if you go with a Saiga i would see if you can change out the FCG because the factory FCG sucks.. i changed it on all the 7.62 and 223 rifles i have owned or worked on.. never messed with the 308 so im not sure what can be done there..

Yes they are pretty bad, epically if you do the correct conversion on it but for $30.00 and 10 minutes of your time it can be corrected. I also would not expect the .308 Saiga to be on par with a M1A1 remember it is using the same loose

sloppy action that the AK is known for which hinders accuracy and follow up. I love AK's a lot but

they are not made for precision shooting, will it hit a decent sized target at 300 yards most likely will

you be shooting 1"-2" groups like a bolt gun, I would tend to think not just like a PSL it will get the yardage

but tight grooping just isn't going to happen.

Mak-90's(Chinese) have the best stock FCG it's brass and they tend to have a 4lb pull and do not require any stoning or polishing. All others I have handled are comparable to a wasr heavy grainy pull and sometimes some slap. the Tapco is a 3-3 1/2 lb pull smooth with no hang up's or slap on the return it's night and day compared to any stock FCG. Red star arms makes a nice adjustable FCG but they are pricey at around $85.00.

tapco fcg ftw.. the smoothness is unbelievable... i have actually fired two rounds on at least 2 occasions by accident because the trigger is just that smooth compared to stock..

Are the saigas really that horrible?

Yes, out of the box. More often than not they require much work. Depending on your standards and goals, of course. The trigger always seems to be an issue. I've owned a few in the past. Never again.

Agreed. You get what you pay for.