Sign in to follow this  
Maksim

funny email exchange I found on craigslist.

he has sooooooo many other ones. He has one thats a complaint from his rental company about dogs barking in his apartment and now allowing pets. He also has one where he offers a drawing to pay for his electrical bill. Absolutely hilarious

M

This one is also very funny. There's a whole series of them.

Sadly, that's a very common conversation between freelance designers/photographers/writers and potential new clients. They (the clients) just don't get it. The problem is that there's always some jackoff who believes that a credit line can put food on the table and is willing t work for less than nothing, driving down the value of an entire industry.

This one is also very funny. There's a whole series of them.

Sadly, that's a very common conversation between freelance designers/photographers/writers and potential new clients. They (the clients) just don't get it. The problem is that there's always some jackoff who believes that a credit line can put food on the table and is willing t work for less than nothing, driving down the value of an entire industry.

It's not just this industry. It's anything that is 'intangible' like professional advice (legal, financial, etc)... You wouldn't go to an Auto Parts store owner and expect the guy to give you a distributor cap just because you're going to buy a transmission from him in the future - but it happens all the time in the professional services sector. I would bet you see it too Ken in the photo world too.

I see it all the time. I've had editors of national equestrian magazines contact me about a show image and ask if they could use it in exchange for a credit line. When I say no, they proceed to tell me all of the well known eq shooters who would happily do it for the exposure. I know a lot of those people personally, and I know they don't give their work away. It's all big scam to drive down the value of IP, and a lot of people fall for it.

This happens in any business where it requires some talent.

I've even had people propose that I write a massive client database (200+ tables) for free and they'd pay me with buying the computers to run it on. Yeah, I'll make about 1k on the computers for easily 6 months of work and countless hours of "support"(i.e. dumbass end user questions) for the next 5 years. What a bargain.

Iask if they could use it in exchange for a credit line.

Can you explain that to me? They're offering to loan you money with interest to use your images for free?

Credit line = attribution (photo by Ken Weinrich)

Iask if they could use it in exchange for a credit line.

Can you explain that to me? They're offering to loan you money with interest to use your images for free?

Credit line = attribution (photo by Ken Weinrich)

Ah, ok. LOL. I'm from the publishing industry...I should have known that. We always referred to it as a by line.