jermz1987

Blazer Aluminum?

Today I went to Cheyenne mountain outfitters on rt 130 to get a range bag. I am going to take my father shooting tomorrow. He hasn't fired a gun since Vietnam. Any who, I only have JHP ammo for my Taurus and I now you cant use that at the range. So I saw they had a few boxes of Blazer Aluminum ammo left, So I bought two boxes, Has anyone ever used this in a revolver before? I heard it wasn't great for semis but I am not sure for revolvers. Am I ok using this in the Taurus M605? Or should I use something else until I get a few more rounds through it.

Well on the Brick Armory website it says,

Tracer, armor piercing and steel core ammunition are prohibited

I could be wrong but aren't hollow points considered armor piercing? If I am wrong that great, I have much more ammo to shoot. LOL

I didn't know that, I had it in my head because the last time I was at BA someone was there trying to buy 38spl ammo and the guy behind the counter said....

"We only have hollow points"

and the guy said.

"Oh I guess I cant use them when I go to the range".

I thought that meant they couldn't be used. Cool..now I dont have to buy any more ammo.

Armor piercing ammo has a steel core.

Wolfy, even that is not 100% correct. M855 ammo (5.56x45 green tip, 62 gr) has a steel "penetrator" core, but it is NOT considered armor piercing by the BATFE. It may be by Brick Armory standards (based on the back-stop material), so I'd check before using it there, but by the strict legal definition it is not.

Just love to split those hairs :D

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I didn't know that, I had it in my head because the last time I was at BA someone was there trying to buy 38spl ammo and the guy behind the counter said....

and the guy said.

I thought that meant they couldn't be used. Cool..now I dont have to buy any more ammo.

Probably because they are more expensive than fmj or sp's. So why throw money at paper?

Yeah I used them today there without a problem. I asked first of course and he had said it was no problem. The Blazer Aluminum Ammo worked great. The guy in the stall next to me was using some wolf ammo and he was having some serious problems. I gave hims some of the blazers I had for a couple wolf and he gladly excepted. I had no problems with it.

M855 ammo (5.56x45 green tip, 62 gr) has a steel "penetrator" core, but it is NOT considered armor piercing by the BATFE

They aren't but they are tough on steel targets. We ban them for use on the clubs steel targets on the outdoor ranges. Not an issue for standards as dirt mountains serve as a backstop. The problem is, unless tested, there is no positive way to know if it actally the M855 loads. Many are on the market without the green tips. For years M855 bullets were demilled and sold. They were tumbled in many cases removuing the painted tips.

I've used Blazer in every gun I own and never had an issue. It's usually less expensive than other target ammo too which is the main plus of it.

+1

Never had an issue with Blazer Aluminum in 38s, 9s, or 45s.

and the guy said.

Probably because they are more expensive than fmj or sp's. So why throw money at paper?

ezzzzzacly! Far more expensive.

I've run 1500 rounds of 9mm Blazers through my SR9 with virtually no problems: one round didn't chamber properly, and I had to get rid of it after several attempts, but that was it. I've averaged $177 for a case of 1000 through Sportsman's Supply, via online auction.

The only "issue" I've found with Blazers was .357 revolver rounds in a Colt Python; the empty cartridges didn't eject cleanly from the cylinder, and had to be pulled out one by one. (I assume the alum isn't as smooth as brass...) Obviously, on the range by yourself, that's not an issue; if you're in a situation where rapid unload/reload is crucial, then obviously spend the extra shekels and get brass cases.

Was there a problem with Blazers and Glocks a while back?

I had one fail to eject in my Glock with aluminum. AFAIK It was a bad batch but CCI refused to acknowledge it. If you look at the rim you can see it is jagged. I sent them the defective ammo and they mailed me Blazer Brass.

DefectiveBlazerCase.jpg

Gotta say...I don't like the aluminum blazer ammo. And not for the problems you guys are seeing...for me accuracy.

I've only ever shot the 10mm ammo, so I don't know if anyone else has ever experienced this... but check this out...

I buy 2 boxes of blazer, get into the range, load it up into my Glock...I can't sight in and hit the side of a barn with this stuff(serious fliers...like I have never seen before). I scratch my head(fat one at that)...totally confused.

Go back the next day....this time I by a box of blazers, and bring a box of Remington's...

Cycle the Rem first...nice 1.5 groups at 10 yards...ok, I'm not crazy...then I load up the blazer's...SAME BS AS THE DAY BEFORE.

I am now TOTALLY convinced my Glock(which does eat anything I cycle through it...no ftf/fte...nada) hates this ammo...

Anyone aware if or have any issues with the aluminum being banned from the range? I assume the issue is it being a pita to separate aluminum from the brass spent casings? I picked up a CASE of CCI Blazer .40s&w 165gr tmj and I am concerned I may not be able to fire it at my first ever range visit in NJ. I am considering going to Bullethole or becoming a member at Cherry Ridge.

Didnt see anything on the Cherry Ridge site that said it was specifically banned and the Bullethole website doesnt mention it specifically either. However, I read differing info on here that BH allows it and that it doesnt.

Def not banned at CR - I've shot blazer and wolf there - short of tracers you should be good. BH doesn't allow steel cased for sure but I'm not sure about aluminum (blazer) cased. My guess is it's a no go.

I guess I am going to have to eat this case and save it for Cherry Ridge. I dont think the next orientation is for another month so I wont be able to shoot there any sooner since I dont personally know any current members. Just annoyed I didnt pay better attention to the fact it was aluminum. Bullethole is the only range that I am semi familar with and that is close to me in North NJ. Looks like I will be buying more ammo!

Pick up some PMC from aimsurplus.com to hold you over till you can get up the CR. Short of driving out a Walmart in PA or NY, it's the cheapest brass ammo I've seen recently.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=APMC9FMJ115&name=PMC+9mm+115grn+FMJ+50rd+box&groupid=46

ETA: oops nevermind - just realized you're shooting .40