Sign in to follow this  
mikelets456

My wife's .38 S&W 686 is "killing" me!!!

Can someone suggest where to get .38 range ammo for less than $18 a box? Gosh, my range has HD JHP for $20 a box, Dicks is $19 for range ammo and online is $14 plus shipping, etc and ends up being $19 a box. I am used to 9mm at $10 a box.... this is killing me as she wants to go to the range more!! i was hoping for 500 rounds at $120 or so....

for less than a $100.00 dollar investment you could buy a used press , new mold , primers + powder and have her have her reload her own for between $.05 + $.15 per round -

(Where, where, how, etc? I have always been "afraid" of reloading in case I screw up and someone gets hurt.... am I over reacting?)

i have been reloading for over 45 years - never a problem - i even used to let my 13 + 14 year old daughters load under my supervision - perfectly safe as long as you pay attention + don't let yourself be distracted - if you can follow a recipe + work a computer key board you can reload better quality + more versatile ammo than you can buy -

(Where, where, how, etc? I have always been "afraid" of reloading in case I screw up and someone gets hurt.... am I over reacting?)

i have been reloading for over 45 years - never a problem - i even used to let my 13 + 14 year old daughters load under my supervision - perfectly safe as long as you pay attention + don't let yourself be distracted - if you can follow a recipe + work a computer key board you can reload better quality + more versatile ammo than you can buy -

+1 agreed I bet you can start up as cheap as $150 and cheaper if you buy used equipment. I'll donate cases if you want to get started.

If you use a single stage press it is simpler. You need about 16-20 square foot max and safe storage of supplies is easy. Single stage press you can load about 100 rounds an hour no sweat.

PM me if you need help. I bet you can get it down to 15 cents a round or less without a problem. $7.50 a box and this is without casting.

And the nice thing is you can load 38 special velocities and recoil in 357 cases and you won't get that damned fouling ring in the chambers. :whistle:

as a bonus you can reload .38 special + .357 magnum with the same set of dies -

And Bullets and Powder too

Yes and no. Cast bullets are not the best in high velocity loads unless cast very hard and loaded down somewhat. The best and most economical powders for a 38 Special load is a fast burning powder such as Bullseye or Unique. Slower burning powders are recommended for hotter magnum loads. Other than that, yes the components are similar.

The cost to start is somewhat understated unless one gets a lot of used gear at rock bottom prices. Used gear values have been unusually high right now. No one is giving it away based on what is seen on EBay right now. To do it right, it will cost a few hundred to start. As casting for someone just starting out probably is not wise, components will cost almost a hundred to start.

But in the end you get a fun hobby and a source of practice ammo when you need it. I know no one who ever saved money reloading. They just shoot more equaling the usual costs.

I've got about 300 brass casings in my range bag right now! Some of it is top-of-the-line stuff. I'm waiting for the next meet-up so I can give it away.

ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got about 300 brass casings in my range bag right now! Some of it is top-of-the-line stuff. I'm waiting for the next meet-up so I can give it away.

ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Um, I think jermz1987 said you might, MIGHT, be interested. It's yours.

on the greybeard outdoors forum there is a used set of lyman 38/357 carbide dies for sale right now for $25.00 -