Maksim

What to do in Orlando/Disney?

Ok, never been there, and will be there with Anastasia and Mom on a business conference in late Feb.

We will be staying at the Swan, so this will be a 4 day, thursday, friday, sat, sunday.

what should we do? lol.

i would love to go scuba.... but I take it not in orlando. and not sure if it makes sense to get down to Miami on friday night, sat/

I have been to Disney a zillion times. There is a lot to do there and can not be seen in one week. What do you like to do? Do you have kids? If so... what are their ages?

Let me know because there are A LOT of good free things to do depending on your preferences and ages of your children.

For example:

We stay at the "Fort Wilderness" cabins and they have free movies around a campfire every night. Please a free petting zoo and nice sights. take the boat from resort to resort (no charge) Also, we typically visit all the Disney resorts as they all have different themes. We take the Monorail from The Contemporary, to the Polynesian then walk along the lake to the Grand Floridian. We take the bus to the Animal Kingdom lodge... have lunch and then watch the animals! It's like going to the Zoo!! We stroll through Lake Buena vista (shopping village) and stroll the boardwalk.

Then we hit a few parks on the "colder days" and in the middle of the week to avoid the crowds. Gosh, there is so much more to do i don't know where to start.

Very correct to say you can't do it all. We have a timeshare down there and still discover something new every time we go even after many trips!

It would help to know what your interests are, as far as rides, shows, food choices, etc.

Also you can scuba in Disney's huge water tank, it's pretty cool from what I've heard as some of my friends have done it. Different experience all together being in a huge tank with windows around it!

you can scuba in Disney's huge water tank

It's touristy and expensive. The up side is that they supply every item. No personal items of gear are permitted. Reservations are mandatory and they usually run a few months out.

The west coast has great diving but it's in the caves which require training and specialized gear. They do have some intro to cave training and some cave tours but your own gear is required and a dry suit is almost mandatory or at least a 7mil full suit.

Ft. Lauderdale has some decent wrecks. The NJ coast line has better diving in my opinion . The only real unique dive is the Oriskany off the upper Gulf Coast.

I'd just spent a few days in Disney World. With that short a time you are limited what you can see but I loved the place and went there many weekends when I lived in Daytona.

I love Disney myself. I'm going to agree with everyone else that regardless of what your preferences are, there are tons of things you could do. Disney, not to sound cheesy, really does feel like a magical place when you're there. Maybe its something in the air or in the food, but I've always felt at ease. My personal favorite of the parks is definitely Epcot, though if you're going to be there for a couple days-- definitely get park hopper tickets.

Outside of Disney, Daytona is about 50 miles or so to the east, and they do have some interesting places. My favorite part is definitely the coast and the food out there... my favorite place being Crabby Joes (http://www.sunglowpier.com/). But with that said, there are plenty of awesome places to eat in Orlando (off Disney property), my favorite being the different steak houses (Del Frisco, Charley's, Palm, etc).

not sure if it makes sense to get down to Miami on friday night, sat/

Miami's a good distence away and I don't think it would be worth the time and expense to do so with so much in the Orlando area to do.

Ok....

No kids. lol.

so what now? Isnt disney tooo kiddy per say?

NO way! Disney is awesome. I go every other year or so. Your never too old for Disney. Disney is for all ages. There is soo much to do. The shows are great. You could also go to Down Town Disney at night which has clubs and bars, Theres Pleasure Island too which is for adults.

They got rid of Pleasure Island actually. It happened awhile ago from what my sister told me (she goes at least once a year, if not more... her and her husband are a part of the DVC), and I can confirm as I was there last September. With that said though, there is still plenty to do in Disney. I really find that place to be supremely awesome... a real escape from reality, as childish as it may seem. I agree with jermz, so much to do the question isn't "what to do," but "how will I get everything done."

We went there for our first anniversary long before we had kids. Definitely plenty to do for adults, and for the kid in all of us. You would think that the Toy Story ride at MGM would be for the kids - HA, more adults coming off that ride with grins than kids...

OH! Also, if you do Disney, learn about fast pass. It costs NOTHING to use...

I go through Orlando each year on the way to the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona (it's much easier and cheaper to fly into MCO), and we always eat at Staub's Fine Seafood restaurant, 5101 E Colonial Dr, Orlando.

I've had a bunch of very good meals there.

http://www.straubsseafood.com/

Anyone been in the hunted castle on I drive? That place looks great but with two small kids I couldn't even drive by the parking lot.

I think Sea World is the best of all the parks down there, But if you have never been there before then you have to see Disney.