ah141nj

Question for NJ LE

Wow is all I can say about some of these replies. Standing on the passenger side of a vehicle is not magically going to protect you, sure it can make it safer. And whoever is saying don't make a stop somewhere hazardous, its kind of hard to control where a car breaks down and where they crash. I think it's a good law, however no I don't think it'll make me safer. The seatbelt law I didn't know about, thanks for the link.

So what you are telling me is that Captains are not appointed????? You , my friend are mis-informed. As to the rest of my post... do your self a favor...READ IT!

Yes im telling you captains are not appointed, in Civil Service departments, they are competitively tested for, same as EVERY OTHER RANK. I DID Read the rest of your post..and again You dont know a damn thing about Police, Policing, or how Scenes are to be secured.

I'm really kind of surprised that this topic is the cause of such debate. If you see flashing light weather it be from a police car, ambulance, fire truck, tow truck, road dept truck, or even a plow truck they need to be given amble enough room to work. When driving up to a scene that involves any of the before mentioned vehicles, you have no idea what the given situation of the incedent is. These people are all professionals and deserve to be given the courtesy to perform the duties of their given job without fear of someone recklessly endangering their lives. Its like the construction signs on the highway say "Give them a brake, slow down". Not looking to start trouble but come on, this is a little rediculious....

Interesting. I never knew it was a law. BUT I never needed a law to tell me to. This is something I have done for a very long time. I learned this lesson 22 years ago. I slowed down like others here but what I didnt see was a deer that was struck. Well, at the moment I approached it did a flop stumble right in front of my car. I hit it even though I was going slow and giving a wide berth. I took this as a lesson you never know what the stop is about. Could be the officer spilling out into the street wrestling with someone resisting. Better to give the widest berth possible.

Oh...excuse me.... for not driving around with LE plates. The post was for PUBLIC SAFETY.

You ,on the other hand see that it's okay to park a Police vehicle, to stick out into traffic, and endanger all those around you. Then you tell me I don't know what i'm talking about.

I see where your head is at....or where it is. 'NUFF SAID

Yes im telling you captains are not appointed, in Civil Service departments, they are competitively tested for, same as EVERY OTHER RANK. I DID Read the rest of your post..and again You dont know a damn thing about Police, Policing, or how Scenes are to be secured.

+1

• Like 1

Ok guys, let's keep it civil. I think a lot of good info can come from this thread without telling each other that their heads are up their A S S.

Roger that Trout...sorry i went Arfcom for a minute.

lol.

Yes, this is a stupid law, and it is a feel good law. The way people should act is with common sense.

The angled parking for PD is there to protect the person in the stopped car as well as the LEO.

In the few instances I was either stopped or I had to pull over, I moved as close to the side as I can. If stopped, I feel safer that an idiot driving in the right lane will see the flashers, than a parked car on the side of the road.

always scary watching Cops, or other tv shows to see idiot drivers plow into the back of someone.

If one choses to comment, do so from a position of knowledge, training or experience. Not what you see on tv or read on a internet site of a unknown source.

As far a comment that certain ranks are politically appointed, learn before speaking..

http://www.accessmvs.com/csc/public_saf ... t_2010.pdf

If one choses to comment, do so from a position of knowledge, training or experience. Not what you see on tv or read on a internet site of a unknown source.

Really? Where do you think I found that stuff about angled stops? I certainly had no training or experience and the only knowledge I had of it was seeing PD cars on the highway stopped in that manner.

Sometimes common sense is more applicable than alleged knowledge, training, or experience. For instance, some LEO's don't approach vehicles from the passenger side because it's much easier to get shot on the passenger side as the Actor doesn't have to reach across their body and is not restrained by the constraints of the car on the left side of the vehicle. Common sense.

I would venture to say that MANY great ideas come about from an outside perspective. Are you aware that there is no single ID card within the federal government? There isn't one standard background check that is used across the board to verify the suitability of outside Contractors. Furthermore, within the VA system ALONE, each individual hospital issues its own ID card and requires its own background check. Talk about government waste AND all of these additional background checks result in excess work with the opportunity for more mistakes to occur. In addition, the personal information of all of these multiple individuals floating around everywhere INCREASES the risk of someone's identity being stolen. I have no training in this but it's obvious to me that this system is redundant (and not in an N+1 good redundancy type of way) and the system can and should be improved.

Really?? I thought it would be cool to be a detective. Are they looked down upon by the other officers in a department?

That was tweaking someone else more than anything else. As with every other aspect of LE, it all depends on the agency... There are some where they put people into investigative jobs because they earn it, there are others because of who they are related to, or who's butt gets kissed. YMMV depending on where you are. Most investigative stuff is pretty boring, its a lot of legwork, and phone work, and field interviews. NYPD Blue/Law and Order, it isnt in most places. Even Narcotics, hours and hours of boredom sitting on locations or people, waiting for something to happen.... BTDT, I'll stick with patrol, i have more fun.

Sorry to stir up the pot so much.

I just thought it was stupid to have a law for a common sense approach. Not make the law public & to take advantage of it with a patrol car up further than the stopped vehicle.

I am kind new to NJ, keep forgetting about the Outstanding Politicians here. :whistle:

By the way, a couple of years ago I had a report filed with Bridgewater PD. A young officer, on the job for about three years. We talked for a while, once in the station & another time he actually came to my house He flat out told me he was not a civil servant. He has no job security. I think it went something like " if my Chief has a hardon for me, I can be fired anytime" "if I dont write out enough tickets, I can be fired"

Just saying....

Sorry to stir up the pot so much.

I just thought it was stupid to have a law for a common sense approach. Not make the law public & to take advantage of it with a patrol car up further than the stopped vehicle.

I am kind new to NJ, keep forgetting about the Outstanding Politicians here. :whistle:

By the way, a couple of years ago I had a report filed with Bridgewater PD. A young officer, on the job for about three years. We talked for a while, once in the station & another time he actually came to my house He flat out told me he was not a civil servant. He has no job security. I think it went something like " if my Chief has a hardon for me, I can be fired anytime" "if I dont write out enough tickets, I can be fired"

Just saying....

there are still a bunch of Non-CS departments in the state, complete with the Shady hiring practices, and politics-ruled operating procedures. We had 3 guys in the last ten years leave my Dept for what they thought were greener pastures in Chief's Test Departments..All 3 were back before a year was out. Better money doesnt always equate to a better Job.