NJ-Tom

ATF GSG5/SD FAKE SUPPRESSOR UPDATE

Borrowed from another forum: If you own a GSG5/SD (not carbine)

To all retail customers:

On January 2010 American Tactical Imports Inc received official notification from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and explosives that the original barrel shroud (aka: fake suppressor) supplied with your GSG 5 SD model must be replaced. It has been determined that this shroud is regulated under the National Firearms Act. American Tactical will provide a replacement shroud at no charge for each GSG 5 SD model sold or currently in inventory.

Consumers in possession of a GSG 5 SD model with the original shroud in place on the firearm are now in violation of the NFA. To avoid continued violation of the NFA, ATI asks that all persons in possession obtain a replacement shroud as soon as possible. We anticipate arrival of the new shrouds to begin by the middle of February 2010.

IMPORTANT: THE ORIGINAL SD MODEL SHROUD MUST BE RETURNED ACOMPANIED BY THE FIREARM SERIAL NUMBER BEFORE A REPLACEMENT SHROUD IS ISSUED. THE DIAMETER OF THE SD SHROUD IS 1-9/16

I wonder what it'll look like. It it makes it butt ugly it'll lower the resale value which sucks.

It will be the same exact look, only made unmodifiable per ATI.

The only difference is it will weigh 1oz more then the original.

This would be a good opportunity for the government to imprison a couple thousand gun nuts, if they wanted.

And how is this firm still in business? "Oops, sorry, we sold thousands of people something which, if they are caught, will cause each of them to spend 5 years in prison. Sorry about that." Wow. This isn't some stupid NJ rule, this is the NFA, which seems to be well-understood....

From what I was reading (from the company) on AR15, it seemed like ATF sprung this one on them, reversing a previous "OK" for the fake can. ATI is saying that field agents from ATF cited the reason for changing their initial ruling is because the fake cans were apparently more solid, and can actually work as real suppressors (even though independent testing proved otherwise, and that previous cans were made hollow on purpose). The company is also saying that ATF probably won't release anything publicly, but instead slapped the company, ATI, around-- and is the reason for the company "recall" of sorts now.

Then of course this guy can be full of BS.

...Not yet that might change. You & I have to play the wait and see game. :doh:

Yep, have that possibility in mind.

From the AR 15 thread:

so to me at least, the jury is still out on the issue of whether or not the standard carbine is effected by this as ATI has yet to state that it absolutely is not.

This is accurate. Right now we have to wait to see what ATF tells us to do.

The GSG is perhaps one of the biggest pain in the ass rifle ever made.

From the terrible break down design, cheap aluminum hardware, constant cleaning and now this.

ATI needs to listen to their customer base, make some better designs and use ss hardware and provide

better communications on recalls. This is not even listed on their main sites and they never sent a mass

e-mail out to any customers that registered their rifles with them to cash in on any intensives the offered.

This would be a good opportunity for the government to imprison a couple thousand gun nuts, if they wanted.

And how is this firm still in business? "Oops, sorry, we sold thousands of people something which, if they are caught, will cause each of them to spend 5 years in prison. Sorry about that." Wow. This isn't some stupid NJ rule, this is the NFA, which seems to be well-understood....

They HAD Approval from ATF to import them, 2 years later ATF changed their minds (Akins Accelerator anyone??) and decided that the SD's were to be considered cans, even though it has NO baffling, runs to the crown of the barrel, and offers ZERO Decibel reduction. From what I can gather, the issue is the fact that the SD tube is hollow, and the fix is to put a welded in sleeve that matches the barrel diameter. It's ATF that is the problem here, not ATI, and they are doing everything they can to make it right.

The GSG is perhaps one of the biggest pain in the a** rifle ever made.

From the terrible break down design, cheap aluminum hardware, constant cleaning and now this.

ATI needs to listen to their customer base, make some better designs and use ss hardware and provide

better communications on recalls. This is not even listed on their main sites and they never sent a mass

e-mail out to any customers that registered their rifles with them to cash in on any intensives the offered.

Yet oddly they sell every single one they make! They won't change a thing since people continue to gobble them up no questions asked.

i think ati is doing alot and have changed since they first came out.... 1st gen were garbage but i have the latest carbine version and it runs perfect no ftf or fte. i ran high volovity, standard, and subsonic all functioned flawlessly i would recomend it to anyone. is it a pain in the a$$ but it is what it is

i think ati is doing alot and have changed since they first came out.... 1st gen were garbage but i have the latest carbine version and it runs perfect no ftf or fte. i ran high volovity, standard, and subsonic all functioned flawlessly i would recomend it to anyone. is it a pain in the a$$ but it is what it is

I have it to, it works decently. Flawless is not a word I would tag to this carbine.

The smallest amount of dirt or residue will cause jamming and mis fires, that is a common issue for most no matter

what the generation is.

The big issues I have is 1. the cleaning instructions they give you are completely ineffective if you like

to shoot more then 50 rounds at a clip. I found myself having to take the entire rifle down, the receiver

splits in half and every piece comes out. If you do this you will notice that it is completely filthy with major build up.

Getting it back together is a challenge but is a better option then chronic failures after 100 rounds of match grade .22lr.

The 2nd is the cheap aluminum hardware they use. There are hundreds of complaints about this from the 1st generation

carbine, since they strip and in some spots like the Allan head that holds the bolt in the receiver can be a real chore to

have to drill out with a easy out. So what do they do built generation 2 with the same damn cheap screw's. Their answer is there are plenty of vendors out there that sell metal after market screw and pin sets? So after i DROP $500.00 on a supposed top of the line .22lr I have to now spend another $15 on quality screws for it, that's just poor integrity on their part.

So now they release a line of fake AK's that work nothing like real AK's and guess what still built with the same poor break down and the same garbage hardware, no big surprise there I guess. The only reason why I pulled mine from the for sale list was because it has been discontinued for good and maybe one of those items in 10 years that many will seek for a high price.

Great. I've sold thirty-five of the GSG-5. Now I gotta figure out which were the SD version. :o

Im sending a letter to everyone that I sold any GSG to.

I will expect mine in the mail.... :D

Just kidding, I already sent my can back in and spoke with ATI directly.

sell it then...lol...

I refuse to buy something that's a PITFA to take apart, clean, and is not nearly indestructible.

with the caveat that I KNOW, you shouldnt have to do so. once you put in the aftermarket screw kit, and the HK pushpins, it makes Cleaning a LOT easier. not that ti was really that bad to begin with. it was just unscrewing the pin to take the stock off that was a bitch