Matt

Has anyone obtained a Florida non-resident CCW?

I've heard a few stories of people obtaining Florida non-resident CCWs because they are easy to get and let you carry in a huge number of states (through reciprocity)... has anyone done this? My CT permit allows me to carry in quite a few but I wouldn't mind adding a few more to the list (including PA)

Plenty of us have done it. Its very easy. Just go here...

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

Keep in mind that PA has a rule that you need to have a permit from your home state to get a non res in PA. So since you wont get one in NJ, that means that you will be denied on the PA permit, that means that you have to check 'YES' to the question, 'have you ever been denied a permit'

Not a good idea.

Make sure you do some homework on this.

Keep in mind that PA has a rule that you need to have a permit from your home state to get a non res in PA. So since you wont get one in NJ, that means that you will be denied on the PA permit, that means that you have to check 'YES' to the question, 'have you ever been denied a permit'

Not a good idea.

Well what I was referring to was I was under the impression that the FL CCW allowed you to carry in PA, is that incorrect?

Not a good idea.

Well what I was referring to was I was under the impression that the FL CCW allowed you to carry in PA, is that incorrect?

That is correct. PA has reciprocity with FL, so if you have an FL permit, you can carry in PA.

Good Luck.

Lets see here....

I have one, Matt6669 has one(can you imagine?), 67gtonut has one and that's just off the top of my head. There are plenty of others.

It's some training, some paperwork and a month or so of waiting after you mail it.

Just to be clear.....

Florida does NOT separate Resident and NON-Resident. Some states do NOT recognize the Florida CCW if the person is NOT a Florida Resident( such as S. Carolina).

Virginia on the other hand has a Resident and NON-Resident version....

Lets see here....

I have one, Matt6669 has one(can you imagine?), 67gtonut has one and that's just off the top of my head. There are plenty of others.

It's some training, some paperwork and a month or so of waiting after you mail it.

I have the NRA basic pistol certification (10 hour) I wonder if that is sufficient

Lets see here....

I have the NRA basic pistol certification (10 hour) I wonder if that is sufficient

I'm pretty sure it is.

A. Completion of an approved hunter education or hunter safety course. (NJ hunter Ed is free and acceptable)

B. Completion of any NRA firearms safety or training course

C. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the NRA or the Dept. of Criminal Justice Services or a similar agency of another state.

D. Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course.

E. Evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition approved by the Department of State Police or current military service or proof of honorable discharge from any branch of the armed service (DD-214)

F. Completing any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or NRA Certified firearms instructor.

i wont admit to having a FL permit, you'll just have to try to rob me while im visiting PA to find out...

lol, all jokes aside, got mine within 3 months, as i recall, it took faster for florida to process everything than it took my local issuing authority to process my pistol permit... 5 months... wtf

Yes, That's what I used. Florida turn around is pretty quick, 5 weeks after submitting paperwork I had my ID card.

Everyone should get one if for no other reason than its signed by Charles Bronson

Yes, That's what I used. Florida turn around is pretty quick, 5 weeks after submitting paperwork I had my ID card.

Everyone should get one if for no other reason than its signed by Charles Bronson

+100 on that. I got mine a few years ago in less than 1 month.

For those in North NJ

http://safeguardingfreedom.com/

next seminar is the 21st

Our CCW seminars are designed to provide you with the most hassle free way of filing for a Florida or Virgina Concealed Carry Permit. We provide all the necessary paperwork and will guide you through the entire application process. Our photographers will be present to take the required photos. An active duty police officer will be present to take your fingerprints. We will notarize your application and make sure everything is in order so that you get it right the first time.

CCW Seminar FAQs

As resident of NJ or NY why would I obtain a Florida / Virgina Non- resident CCW Permit?

Currently 29 states (including Florida) recognize the Florida Non-Resident CCW permit. This allows you, if your are traveling in those states, to legally carry a concealed weapon while there. Even though NJ / NY do not recognize the Florida / Virginia permit you are still entitled to obtain it.

While reciprocity agreements constantly change, the Virgina permit adds additional states and is further proof of of your integrity. Make sure to check current laws in any area you wish to carry.

What are the current term periods for these permits?

The Florida permit is valid for 7 years and the Virginia permit is valid for 5 years.

What is needed to Apply for these permits?

In general you need

A. Passport style photo (color) (We will take your photo at the seminar.)

B. Completion of the fingerprint card (We have an LEO at the seminar to complete this.)

C. Certified copies of any court documents relating to any criminal charges against you

D. Complete the application (We provide the application documents.)

E. In the presence of a notary, sign application (We are notaries and will notarize it.)

F. Verification of firearms training (This is not provided but as NRA certified instructors we can provide this training separately)

G. Assemble everything and mail it to the address given, including the appropriate fee.

Florida is $117.00

Virginia is $100.00

Currently we see a wait of about 3 months from Florida and about 6 weeks for Virgina.

What training is acceptable for demonstrating competence with a handgun?

This information is specified in the requirements section of the information packet. Generally the following are acceptable.

A. Completion of an approved hunter education or hunter safety course.

B. Completion of any NRA firearms safety or training course

C. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the NRA or the Dept. of Criminal Justice Services or a similar agency of another state.

D. Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course.

E. Evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition approved by the Department of State Police or current military service or proof of honorable discharge from any branch of the armed service (DD-214)

F. Completing any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or NRA Certified firearms instructor.

A photocopy of the Certificate of completion or other documentation (affidavit from a instructor with proper credentials) must be included with your application.

What do I need to bring to the seminar?

A. Current valid photo ID (drivers license preferred) (Needed for fingerprinting documentation and notarization.)

B. Payment for the seminar.

The cost of each permit application process if $50.00

Why should I take this seminar from Safeguarding Freedom LLC?

A. We provide the application packet including the forms and fingerprint card

B. We guide you through the application process so you get it right the first time.

C. We provide the approved photos needed for each application.

D. We provide the approved fingerprint process with a active duty LEO

E. We notarize you application.

Hi there. I've previously written, in the thread regarding the pending cw law...

Excellent thread and truly informative. Thanks all.

At the moment I'd not apply because if denied you'd have to enter it on the NJ PPP and so it could come back to bite you at every new pistol.

The other thing I'd urge people to do is to get personal defense insurance against the legal and civil consequences of using lethal force in one's home or outside. The NRA offers it for around $300 a year and from my point of view (I have FL, VA & UT) it's worth having.

The final thing I'd offer is that people should get training. Again, the NRA and others run courses designed to cover aspects of defensive in home and out of home use of firearms. At least one of the forum's supporting vendors offers these and if their locations don't suit, you can find other providers. It's relatively easy to get the out of state ccw permits, and I'd encourage people to do so, but also for me that was just the beginning.

So - let's all work hard to see this available in NJ and to be able to show that it is a right we will exercise thoughtfully a d responsibly.

Happy shooting

G

I stand by this - it's easy to get these permits - the UT one less so perhaps - but I'd urge people to at the very least get the insurance to allow them to hire an attorney in the horrible case that they would in fact ever have to use lethal force in self defense. I'd also restate my opinion that people should get training specifically for carrying a concealed firearm. I'd never advocate NOT defending oneself and family however necessary (and remember, you don't need any sort of carry permit to keep and use a firearm in your home) but please don't underestimate the potential consequences.

There's a saying - every bullet fired in self defense in NJ (and possibly elsewhere) has a pair of handcuffs, a district attorney, a night in jail, a gun confiscation, and almost certain criminal prosecution and civil suit attached to it. I'm not saying this is right, but it's the way it is. People don't think about this enough.

G

Florida non-resident CCWs (including PA)

Here's an interesting tidbit:

I'm a NJ resident and my FL card is "Concealed Weapon or Firearm License"

I was told that FL doesn't make the distinction between resident and non-resident.

The only giveaway is my home address printed on the front of the card.

My VA card is a "Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permit" card, so they make the distinction.

im working on this now... quick question.. do I need a fingerprint card or just the application for the concealed carry?

if so, where do I go to have the fingerprints card filled out with the finger prints?

im working on this now... quick question.. do I need a fingerprint card or just the application for the concealed carry?

if so, where do I go to have the fingerprints card filled out with the finger prints?

Gun For Hire has a session where you basically just show up with the filled in paperwork,

They take the pictures you need, do the fingerprinting and give it the once over to make sure everything that needs to be there is there.

Minimal cost for one stop shopping.

It's been recommended for carry on an out of state permit in PA, such as a FL CWoFL, that you keep a copy of the PA Attorney General's letter recognizing reciprocity. Also if in Philadelphia, they say police will take your weapon if you do not show proof of ownership, so some folks carry copies of their bill of sale. If it were me, I'd carry that and a copy of the pink as added gavitas being a State Police form of register (barf).

Here is a link to a PDF of the reciprocity agreement. I just googled for it so YMMV, but it looks like the real deal.

Oh, the answer is YES to the OP's question :)

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploaded ... eement.pdf

unclenunzie

First and foremost, download and thoroughly read the application instructions so you don't make any errors. The following link has that and lots of other info you need or want:

If you ever actually go down to FL it's best to get the printing done there. If you bring a NJ hunter education cert/card with you, or any of the listed accepted equivalent proofs, you can do it all at once in a day (still must wait for them to mail the license to NJ). The application pack lists places where you can get printed but especially recommendable is to use a county sheriff's office with electronic printing, just note the days and hours they do printing. You can get notarized there too, at least I was able to via a nice older officer working there. Electronic printing is said to have fewer errors and gets into their database faster for faster overall turnaround. I actually mailed my complete pack from NJ, notarized app, electronic print sheet and payments/receipts, NJ hunter ed card, photo, etc, and my license was in my mailbox exactly 40 days later. It arrives and looks like something you might get from the DMV.

If you need to get printed in NJ, you may still be able to go to your local PD, though the last time I was there I found out they don't do it anymore. In my case (Bloomfield) I would have to go to Newark. I guess with all the interest in guns of late, the PDs are overwhelmed or maybe it's a cost cutting measure, or just some further BS to make it that much more difficult. But whatever the case, unless you have violence or felony in your history there should be no problem at all.

good luck,

unclenunzie

First and foremost, download and thoroughly read the application instructions so you don't make any errors. The following link has that and lots of other info you need or want:

If you ever actually go down to FL it's best to get the printing done there. If you bring a NJ hunter education cert/card with you, or any of the listed accepted equivalent proofs, you can do it all at once in a day (still must wait for them to mail the license to NJ). The application pack lists places where you can get printed but especially recommendable is to use a county sheriff's office with electronic printing, just note the days and hours they do printing. You can get notarized there too, at least I was able to via a nice older officer working there. Electronic printing is said to have fewer errors and gets into their database faster for faster overall turnaround. I actually mailed my complete pack from NJ, notarized app, electronic print sheet and payments/receipts, NJ hunter ed card, photo, etc, and my license was in my mailbox exactly 40 days later. It arrives and looks like something you might get from the DMV.

If you need to get printed in NJ, you may still be able to go to your local PD, though the last time I was there I found out they don't do it anymore. In my case (Bloomfield) I would have to go to Newark. I guess with all the interest in guns of late, the PDs are overwhelmed or maybe it's a cost cutting measure, or just some further BS to make it that much more difficult. But whatever the case, unless you have violence or felony in your history there should be no problem at all.

good luck,

unclenunzie

Most departments that havent already gone to Livescan (Electronic) Fingerprinting, or have a different system from Sagem Morpho, are just farming it out to Sagem for ALL Non-Criminal/Arrest printing. the state doesnt want to havndle ANY cards anymore, nor do ehty want to convert formats. its a HUGE PITA, but not because of or directed at Gun owners.

No fingerprints for PA LTCF. Yeah, I know most of you guys can't get one, because you need a carry permit from your home state to get a non-resident LTCF from PA.

Why don't you guys like the Utah permit? We get them like crazy in PA. Cheaper than FL. I'm sure there's a reason but I don't know.