Celraysoda

Undecided on revolvers

If you are undecided I would not look at Taurus first. They can be hit or miss and may sway you away from revolvers if you get a miss. A Smith 686 or Ruger Gp100 would be my first choices. Taurus as a second revolver. Just my opinion YMMV

If you are undecided I would not look at Taurus first. They can be hit or miss and may sway you away from revolvers if you get a miss. A Smith 686 or Ruger Gp100 would be my first choices. Taurus as a second revolver. Just my opinion YMMV

I love the 686 in every way but it is way too expensive for me right now. I held the ruger gp100 and wasn't a fan. I know I can change the grips but, you know.

Price plays a part as I am paying for a wedding right now. Is it bad that every time I send a check out to either the venue, photographer, videographer, band, or any other vendor, I see either a Colt 1911, Finnish Suomi, AR, SKS or even a pair of 686's on the check as I send it out? :(

I understand about money. There are good deals to be found on a used Smith. There are a few guys here with Taurus's that have nothing but good things to say. From past experience I am just biased and I admit it.

If it is for a HD gun, the 4 in is a better choice.

Good luck

I enjoy IDPA shoots and decided to give the revolver classes a try in IDPA. Ihave a Ruger GP100 with a 6" barrel, GREAT gun and highly reccomended, but the 6" barrel is too big for IDPA competitions. I decided to save a little money and get a Taurus. It jammed, split bullets and completely locked up when I brought it out. I tried a deep down cleaning and lube job, hoping that would help....Nope. I had to send it back and wait for the repairs. Now that I have it back it functions fine and is a joy to shoot, but the 2 months that it spent in the shop would have been enough time for me to save up and buy another Ruger or a Smith. I know others have had good experiences with Taurus, and now that the gun is fixed there are no problems, but I will hesitate before buying another Taurus.

I enjoy IDPA shoots and decided to give the revolver classes a try in IDPA. Ihave a Ruger GP100 with a 6" barrel, GREAT gun and highly reccomended, but the 6" barrel is too big for IDPA competitions. I decided to save a little money and get a Taurus. It jammed, split bullets and completely locked up when I brought it out. I tried a deep down cleaning and lube job, hoping that would help....Nope. I had to send it back and wait for the repairs. Now that I have it back it functions fine and is a joy to shoot, but the 2 months that it spent in the shop would have been enough time for me to save up and buy another Ruger or a Smith. I know others have had good experiences with Taurus, and now that the gun is fixed there are no problems, but I will hesitate before buying another Taurus.

My experience with the Tracker is pretty much the same. Taurus seems to have no time to do it right, but plenty of time to do it over. I'm very happy with the gun now, and would consider another Taurus in the future, but having to send it back to Florida annoyed me at the time.

I have a 6" GP100 and it's an excellent gun. I really didn't notice a difference in holding the 686 or the GP100. I think there was a 4" 686 for sale in the classifieds. I shoot mostly 38 Sp from it. 357 mags are wicked!

anyone remember when taurus gave a grant to njit of a 1,000,000 for smart gun tech so they would be first in line, this was under the mcgreevey admin. imho you cant play both sides

HEH I just had something in my email about that stupid smart gun technology crap.

I may be alone on this one, but I think new S&W revolvers are crap (especially when compared to old S&W revolvers). Unless you spend the money to buy something higher end from the Performance Center, the guns are nothing special. I have owned seven or eight S&W revolvers since I first started collecting. The only one I have left in my collection is a late 60's Model 28-2 Highway Patrolman. There is no comparison in quality between the older guns(i.e. pre 90's) and the newer*. I am not a gun snob at all either (I own a Glock and a Ruger). These days, if I were buying new, I would take any Ruger over a Smith in a heartbeat. I wouldn't buy new though. You can find a nice condition pre-lock Model 686, Model 19, Model 28 on GunBroker for a decent price.

Lastly, if you are a second amendment advocate, S&W bent over for the Clinton administration and put gun locks on all their revolvers (look up "Hillary Hole" in Google). The fact that the lock remains today even after new ownership bought the company is a big bone of contention among those who see S&W's actions as a retreat to anti-gunners. As for personal experience, I have had a lock on a new S&W 629 (44mag) activate on me in the middle of a range session. I needed the range officer/gunsmith at Shore Shot to help me get it working again. You may think it's no big deal for a range toy, and you're right. But what about the guy who carries a S&W pistol for self-defense?

* - Perfomance Center guns not included in this rant, although even these have the infernal lock.

lunker S&W is not the only manufacture to put locks on their guns.

That is true (although I am only talking about revolver locks). But I have yet to see a documented case (or even complaint on the Net) of a Ruger lock or Taurus lock self-activating. Ignoring the political aspect of putting locks on guns, the fact is that S&W's revolver lock is a bad design. The lock "flag" that sits in a parallel groove with the hammer and pops up when the gun is locked, is directly in line with the guns recoil forces. This allows the flag to pop up at inopportune times, effectively preventing the hammer from moving and jamming the gun. It is especially pronounced in light guns in hotter calibers like 357mag and up where recoil is stronger and not offset by a heavy frame.

The Taurus revolver lock is in the hammer. The Ruger revolver lock is in the grip frame (you actually need to take off grip panels to activate it). These are much better designs than the S&W. I think a lot of the lock nay-sayers would come around to S&W if they came up with a better design.

I'm still trying to figure out what the purpose of the lock is? In this state you cannot buy a handgun without also buying a 'free' trigger lock, regardless of whether the firearm already has a lock.

I have a pile of trigger locks that have virtually no purpose. My guns are all secured in accordance with the regulations preventing access to minors.

My vote is for the S&W model 29 snubbie! The .44 mag pocket gun, just a really big pocket :D

I fired a Lew Horton S&W 44mag snubbie. It is a handful, and it emits a 4 foot flame from the front. Even if the bullet misses your assailant, he might burst into flames.

lunker S&W is not the only manufacture to put locks on their guns.

That is true (although I am only talking about revolver locks). But I have yet to see a documented case (or even complaint on the Net) of a Ruger lock or Taurus lock self-activating. Ignoring the political aspect of putting locks on guns, the fact is that S&W's revolver lock is a bad design. The lock "flag" that sits in a parallel groove with the hammer and pops up when the gun is locked, is directly in line with the guns recoil forces. This allows the flag to pop up at inopportune times, effectively preventing the hammer from moving and jamming the gun. It is especially pronounced in light guns in hotter calibers like 357mag and up where recoil is stronger and not offset by a heavy frame.

The Taurus revolver lock is in the hammer. The Ruger revolver lock is in the grip frame (you actually need to take off grip panels to activate it). These are much better designs than the S&W. I think a lot of the lock nay-sayers would come around to S&W if they came up with a better design.

S&W changed hands quite a few years ago and was bought by the company who designed the lock mechanism, "Saf-t-lock" IIRC.

Possibly why they still remain. I saw a youtube video where the lock is easily removed, but to HAVE to do it on a brand new gun is stupid, I agree.